* Which GNAT requires LAPACK and BLAS for Ada.Numerics.xxx?
@ 2010-07-13  2:34 Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2010-07-13  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

The PLplot developers need a bit of help with automating their build
process with regard to Ada (GNAT only). They use cmake. As the person
who wrote the Ada binding, I've been asked to get the information.

Currently, cmake has an Ada 2005 flag which if set, with-s and use-s
Ada.Numerics.Long_Real_Arrays which was added in Ada 2005. If the flag
is not set, the binding source code is automatically modified a little
bit so that the 2005-specific stuff is not needed. (The binding only
needs the Vector and Matrix declarations, so this is a lot of work for
such a small benefit, but that's the way things are right now.)

If Ada.Numerics.Long_Real_Arrays is used, it needs to link to lapack
and blas which the PLplot cmake process can be made to handle.

So the questions are:

(1) What is the earliest version of GNAT that requires lapack and blas
if Ada.Numerics.Long_Real_Arrays is referenced? I think it might be
4.3.

(2) Is there an earlier version that has the limited capabilities
required by the Ada binding, specifically, only the declarations for
type Real_Vector is array (Integer range <>) of Real'Base;
type Real_Matrix is array (Integer range <>, Integer range <>)
but which does not require linking lapack and blas?

Thanks,
Jerry

* Re: Which GNAT requires LAPACK and BLAS for Ada.Numerics.xxx?
@ 2010-07-13  4:12 ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 2010-07-13  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<5cf5e149-a827-4890-a80b-6ee37109ddca@i19g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
 Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net> wrote:

> The PLplot developers need a bit of help with automating their build
> process with regard to Ada (GNAT only). They use cmake. As the person
> who wrote the Ada binding, I've been asked to get the information.
>
> Currently, cmake has an Ada 2005 flag which if set, with-s and use-s
> Ada.Numerics.Long_Real_Arrays which was added in Ada 2005. If the
> flag is not set, the binding source code is automatically modified a
> little bit so that the 2005-specific stuff is not needed. (The
> binding only needs the Vector and Matrix declarations, so this is a
> lot of work for such a small benefit, but that's the way things are
> right now.)
>
> If Ada.Numerics.Long_Real_Arrays is used, it needs to link to lapack
> and blas which the PLplot cmake process can be made to handle.
>
> So the questions are:
>
> (1) What is the earliest version of GNAT that requires lapack and blas
> if Ada.Numerics.Long_Real_Arrays is referenced? I think it might be
> 4.3.

Definitely in 4.3.4:

$ pwd
/usr/local/ada-4.3/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin9/4.3.4/adainclude
$ egrep -iH "with.*blas|with.*lapack" a-*.ad[sb]
a-ngcoar.adb:with System.Generic_Complex_BLAS;
a-ngcoar.adb:with System.Generic_Complex_LAPACK;
a-ngrear.adb:with System.Generic_Real_BLAS;
a-ngrear.adb:with System.Generic_Real_LAPACK;

> (2) Is there an earlier version that has the limited capabilities
> required by the Ada binding, specifically, only the declarations for
> type Real_Vector is array (Integer range <>) of Real'Base; type
> Real_Matrix is array (Integer range <>, Integer range <>) but which
> does not require linking lapack and blas?

I started with Martin Dowie's 296 & 346:

<http://www.martin.dowie.btinternet.co.uk/>

IIRC, the changes were minor. If it would help, I have the last,
independent set that I used before switching to BLAS/LAPACK in June,
20009.

<http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/misc/groots.html>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

* Re: Which GNAT requires LAPACK and BLAS for Ada.Numerics.xxx?
@ 2010-07-14 13:00   ` Ada novice
From: Ada novice @ 2010-07-14 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'll be very interested to see PLplot working well with GNAT Ada.
Cmake needs a C compiler also and I have not been successful with
camke nor with PLplot for Windows.

YC

* Re: Which GNAT requires LAPACK and BLAS for Ada.Numerics.xxx?
@ 2010-07-14 13:15 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2010-07-14 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> The PLplot developers need a bit of help with automating their build
> process with regard to Ada (GNAT only). They use cmake. As the person
> who wrote the Ada binding, I've been asked to get the information.
>
> Currently, cmake has an Ada 2005 flag which if set, with-s and use-s
> Ada.Numerics.Long_Real_Arrays which was added in Ada 2005. If the flag
> is not set, the binding source code is automatically modified a little
> bit so that the 2005-specific stuff is not needed. (The binding only
> needs the Vector and Matrix declarations, so this is a lot of work for
> such a small benefit, but that's the way things are right now.)
>
> If Ada.Numerics.Long_Real_Arrays is used, it needs to link to lapack
> and blas which the PLplot cmake process can be made to handle.
>
> So the questions are:
>
> (1) What is the earliest version of GNAT that requires lapack and blas
> if Ada.Numerics.Long_Real_Arrays is referenced? I think it might be
> 4.3.

Yes, it is 4.3.

> (2) Is there an earlier version that has the limited capabilities
> required by the Ada binding, specifically, only the declarations for
> type Real_Vector is array (Integer range <>) of Real'Base;
> type Real_Matrix is array (Integer range <>, Integer range <>)
> but which does not require linking lapack and blas?

GCC 4.2, I think.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Which GNAT requires LAPACK and BLAS for Ada.Numerics.xxx?
@ 2010-07-15  7:46     ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2010-07-15  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 14, 6:00 am, Ada novice <po...@gmx.us> wrote:
> I'll be very interested to see PLplot working well with GNAT Ada.
> Cmake needs a C compiler also and I have not been successful with
> camke nor with PLplot for Windows.
>
> YC

PLplot does work well with GNAT, and yes, as I noted here a few days
ago in another thread, installation is challenging. I wish there were
binaries but as far as I know there are none. I'm not sure why,
probably because the development team works hard to accommodate so
many platforms and do remarkably well in that regard.

Please put all your PLplot questions to the list at

@ 2010-07-15  7:48 ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2010-07-15  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, everyone.

@ 2010-07-15 11:16       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2010-07-15 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> On Jul 14, 6:00 am, Ada novice <po...@gmx.us> wrote:
>> I'll be very interested to see PLplot working well with GNAT Ada.
>> Cmake needs a C compiler also and I have not been successful with
>> camke nor with PLplot for Windows.
>
> PLplot does work well with GNAT, and yes, as I noted here a few days
> ago in another thread, installation is challenging. I wish there were
> binaries but as far as I know there are none. I'm not sure why,
> probably because the development team works hard to accommodate so
> many platforms and do remarkably well in that regard.

Debian does have binary packages:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libplplot-ada

--
Ludovic Brenta.