* GnatColl
@ 2009-07-02 12:00 Cainite 256
From: Cainite 256 @ 2009-07-02 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I have fast question. I'am using GnatColl to connect witch
PostgreSQL.
Is there any way to call stored function insted of simple query?

Thanks.

* Re: GnatColl
@ 2009-07-02 17:16 ` Dirk Heinrichs
From: Dirk Heinrichs @ 2009-07-02 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cainite 256 wrote:

> Is there any way to call stored function insted of simple query?

select * from function(arg1, arg2,...);

HTH...

	Dirk

* Re: GnatColl
@ 2009-07-02 19:20   ` Emmanuel Briot
From: Emmanuel Briot @ 2009-07-02 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 2, 10:16 am, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinri...@online.de> wrote:
> Cainite 256 wrote:
> > Is there any way to call stored function insted of simple query?
>
> select * from function(arg1, arg2,...);

Not so far, although that should not be too difficult to add. We do
not use stored function ourselves because we have found them harder to
maintain, and we do not need the minor efficiency boost they provide
compared to prepared statements. I guess you could just create a new
instance of SQL_Table where the name is "function (arg1, arg2)". That
would not provide type checking on the Ada side, but at least you
could write the query I think

regards
Emmanuel

* GNATcoll
@ 2010-07-02  8:35 tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2010-07-02  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my search for a new mysql binding I noticed GNATcoll which looks
like it does the job but I am having trouble finding a version I can
download, is it propriety and limited to customers of the professional
version of GNAT, if not does anyone know where I can download it?

* Re: GNATcoll
@ 2010-07-02  8:55 ` Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2010-07-02  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-07-02 10:35, tonyg wrote:

> In my search for a new mysql binding I noticed GNATcoll which looks
> like it does the job but I am having trouble finding a version I can
> download, is it propriety and limited to customers of the professional
> version of GNAT, if not does anyone know where I can download it?

Hey tonyg,

Go here: http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2/

And the unfold the GtkAda item. Here you should find
gnatcoll-gpl-2010-src.tgz

Have fun!

Thomas L�cke

Email: tl at ada-dk.org
Web: http:ada-dk.org
IRC nick: ThomasLocke

* Re: GNATcoll
@ 2010-07-02 10:14   ` Mark Lorenzen
From: Mark Lorenzen @ 2010-07-02 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 Jul., 10:55, Thomas Løcke <t...@ada-dk.org> wrote:
> On 2010-07-02 10:35, tonyg wrote:
>

> > In my search for a new mysql binding I noticed GNATcoll which looks
> > like it does the job but I am having trouble finding a version I can
> > download, is it propriety and limited to customers of the professional
> > version of GNAT, if not does anyone know where I can download it?
>
> Hey tonyg,
>
> Go here:http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2/
>
> And the unfold the GtkAda item. Here you should find
> gnatcoll-gpl-2010-src.tgz

GNATcoll is available for download as a separate package at
http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2/ and there is no need to get
it as part of GtkAda.

- Mark L

* Re: GNATcoll
@ 2010-07-02 10:20     ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2010-07-02 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 July, 11:14, Mark Lorenzen <mark.loren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 Jul., 10:55, Thomas Løcke <t...@ada-dk.org> wrote:
>

> > On 2010-07-02 10:35, tonyg wrote:
>
> > > In my search for a new mysql binding I noticed GNATcoll which looks
> > > like it does the job but I am having trouble finding a version I can
> > > download, is it propriety and limited to customers of the professional
> > > version of GNAT, if not does anyone know where I can download it?
>
> > Hey tonyg,
>
> > Go here:http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2/
>
> > And the unfold the GtkAda item. Here you should find
> > gnatcoll-gpl-2010-src.tgz
>
> GNATcoll is available for download as a separate package athttp://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2/and there is no need to get
> it as part of GtkAda.
>
> - Mark L

thanks guys , found it, I am having a problem with the make command as
my version of gprbuild does not recognise -j switch, is this a recent
addition do you know?

* Re: GNATcoll
@ 2010-07-02 11:17     ` Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2010-07-02 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-07-02 12:14, Mark Lorenzen wrote:
> GNATcoll is available for download as a separate package at
> http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2/ and there is no need to get
> it as part of GtkAda.
>
> - Mark L

Ah, so they've finally fixed that minor annoyance. Great!

Thomas L�cke

Email: tl at ada-dk.org
Web: http:ada-dk.org
IRC nick: ThomasLocke

* Re: GNATcoll
@ 2010-07-03  8:03       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2010-07-03  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

tonyg <tonythegair@googlemail.com> writes:

>> > Hey tonyg,
>>
>> > Go here:http://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2/
>>
>> > And the unfold the GtkAda item. Here you should find
>> > gnatcoll-gpl-2010-src.tgz
>>
>> GNATcoll is available for download as a separate package athttp://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2/and there is no need to get
>> it as part of GtkAda.
>>
>> - Mark L
>
> thanks guys , found it, I am having a problem with the make command as
> my version of gprbuild does not recognise -j switch, is this a recent
> addition do you know?

You should use the gprbuild from the same GNAT version that gnatcoll
comes from.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GNATcoll
@ 2010-07-03  9:44         ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2010-07-03  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 3, 9:03 am, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...@stephe-leake.org>
wrote:

> >> GNATcoll is available for download as a separate package athttp://libre.adacore.com/libre/download2/andthere is no need to get
> >> it as part of GtkAda.
>
> >> - Mark L
>
> > thanks guys , found it, I am having a problem with the make command as
> > my version of gprbuild does not recognise -j switch, is this a recent
> > addition do you know?
>
> You should use the gprbuild from the same GNAT version that gnatcoll
> comes from.
>
> --
> -- Stephe

The build and install is all sorted now - thanks guys

* GNATColl
@ 2013-03-05 17:41 tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2013-03-05 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed this pre compiled library was  not on debian wheezy. Having being spoiled by the excellent ada support on debian and being interested in the python interfacing, I was wondering (very possibly quite naively) at the issues and dependencies involved.

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-05 19:27 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2013-03-05 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

tonyg writes on comp.lang.ada:
> I noticed this pre compiled library was not on debian wheezy. Having
> being spoiled by the excellent ada support on debian

Thanks!

> and being interested in the python interfacing, I was wondering (very
> possibly quite naively) at the issues and dependencies involved.

I'm not quite sure what you want to say or ask here but I've also been
considering packaging gnatcoll for Debian.  Unfortunately I've never
found the time to do so.  The current status is here:

http://bugs.debian.org/640532

If anyone feels like helping, they'd be most welcome.

BTW, gnat-4.8 is in the NEW queue awaiting human intervention for
inclusion in experimental[1].  Currently the Debian release managers are
quite busy making Debian 7 "Wheezy" stable, so please be patient (or
help fix a release-critical bug to make the release happen faster...).

[1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/gnat-4.8_4.8-20130102-1.html

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-05 20:06   ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2013-03-05 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 5 March 2013 19:27:49 UTC, Ludovic Brenta  wrote:
> tonyg writes on comp.lang.ada:
>
> > I noticed this pre compiled library was not on debian wheezy. Having
>
> > being spoiled by the excellent ada support on debian
>

> Thanks!
>

> > and being interested in the python interfacing, I was wondering (very
>
> > possibly quite naively) at the issues and dependencies involved.
>

> I'm not quite sure what you want to say or ask here but I've also been
>
> considering packaging gnatcoll for Debian.  Unfortunately I've never
>
> found the time to do so.  The current status is here:
>

> http://bugs.debian.org/640532
>

> If anyone feels like helping, they'd be most welcome.
>

> BTW, gnat-4.8 is in the NEW queue awaiting human intervention for
>
> inclusion in experimental[1].  Currently the Debian release managers are
>
> quite busy making Debian 7 "Wheezy" stable, so please be patient (or
>
> help fix a release-critical bug to make the release happen faster...).
>

> [1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/gnat-4.8_4.8-20130102-1.html
>

> --
>
> Ludovic Brenta.

I havn't packaged a compiled unit for debian before, let me take a look and get back to you :) (I have made so so much use of the debian packages though its only right to try)

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-06 17:29     ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2013-03-06 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 5 March 2013 20:06:44 UTC, tonyg  wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 March 2013 19:27:49 UTC, Ludovic Brenta  wrote:
>
> > tonyg writes on comp.lang.ada:
>

> > > I noticed this pre compiled library was not on debian wheezy. Having
>

> > > being spoiled by the excellent ada support on debian
>

> > Thanks!
>

> > > and being interested in the python interfacing, I was wondering (very
>

> > > possibly quite naively) at the issues and dependencies involved.
>

> > I'm not quite sure what you want to say or ask here but I've also been
>

> > considering packaging gnatcoll for Debian.  Unfortunately I've never
>

> > found the time to do so.  The current status is here:
>

> > http://bugs.debian.org/640532
>

> > If anyone feels like helping, they'd be most welcome.
>

> > BTW, gnat-4.8 is in the NEW queue awaiting human intervention for
>

> > inclusion in experimental[1].  Currently the Debian release managers are
>

> > quite busy making Debian 7 "Wheezy" stable, so please be patient (or
>

> > help fix a release-critical bug to make the release happen faster...).
>

> > [1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/gnat-4.8_4.8-20130102-1.html
>

> > --
>

> > Ludovic Brenta.
>

> I havn't packaged a compiled unit for debian before, let me take a look and get back to you :) (I have made so so much use of the debian packages though its only right to try)

I've made some progress on the dependency side regarding python.
It needs a link to exist in /usr/bin/ called python-config and I think pretty much any python will do. Its a strange one though isn't it, don't packages have to have only possible dependency rather than a choice?

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-06 19:50       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2013-03-06 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

tonyg writes on comp.lang.ada:
> I've made some progress on the dependency side regarding python.  It
> needs a link to exist in /usr/bin/ called python-config and I think
> pretty much any python will do. Its a strange one though isn't it,
> don't packages have to have only possible dependency rather than a
> choice?

Python on Debian is outside my area of expertise.  I don't know what
python-config is or what it's supposed to do.  I do know of a Debian
Python Policy[1], which I have not read, and of a package
"python-dev"[2] that provides /bin/python-config.  Is that what you are
referring to?

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/
[2] http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=python-config&mode=exactfilename&suite=testing&arch=any

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-07 10:05         ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2013-03-07 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 6 March 2013 19:50:14 UTC, Ludovic Brenta  wrote:
> tonyg writes on comp.lang.ada:
>
> > I've made some progress on the dependency side regarding python.  It
>
> > needs a link to exist in /usr/bin/ called python-config and I think
>
> > pretty much any python will do. Its a strange one though isn't it,
>
> > don't packages have to have only possible dependency rather than a
>
> > choice?
>

> Python on Debian is outside my area of expertise.  I don't know what
>
> python-config is or what it's supposed to do.  I do know of a Debian
>
> Python Policy[1], which I have not read, and of a package
>
> "python-dev"[2] that provides /bin/python-config.  Is that what you are
>
> referring to?
>

> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/
>
> [2] http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=python-config&mode=exactfilename&suite=testing&arch=any
>

> --
>
> Ludovic Brenta.

Yes. I'm not too sure either but what I do know is that Gnatcoll needs it to configure itself to link with python. I also think that python-config decides which python to use. My investigation continues....

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-12 14:50 ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2013-03-12 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 5 March 2013 17:41:32 UTC, tonyg  wrote:
> I noticed this pre compiled library was  not on debian wheezy. Having being spoiled by the excellent ada support on debian and being interested in the python interfacing, I was wondering (very possibly quite naively) at the issues and dependencies involved.

I have tried to build the 2012, 2011, and 2010 versions of gnatcoll against the current 32 bit packages in the debian wheezy distribution.

2012 and 2011 versions configure properly once I have a python configuration. I don't think the 2010 version builds against these packages because of the gnat version.

The problems I have had with the 2012 and 2011 versions are that the examples fail to build, and I have not tried moving around these because I want the examples working.

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-14 19:34 ` Multiplayer1080
From: Multiplayer1080 @ 2013-03-14 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

El martes, 5 de marzo de 2013 13:11:32 UTC-4:30, tonyg  escribió:
> I noticed this pre compiled library was  not on debian wheezy. Having being spoiled by the excellent ada support on debian and being interested in the python interfacing, I was wondering (very possibly quite naively) at the issues and dependencies involved.

I very interested in this topic. But I have a question, sorry if i'm saying an aberration,  Why we have to compile this tools to use? Would not it be better to propose generic libraries or packages for inclusion in projects directly?

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-14 19:45   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2013-03-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Multiplayer1080 <marlontrujillo1080@gmail.com> writes:

> El martes, 5 de marzo de 2013 13:11:32 UTC-4:30, tonyg  escribió:
>> I noticed this pre compiled library was not on debian wheezy. Having
> being spoiled by the excellent ada support on debian and being
> interested in the python interfacing, I was wondering (very possibly
> quite naively) at the issues and dependencies involved.
>
> I very interested in this topic. But I have a question, sorry if i'm
> saying an aberration, Why we have to compile this tools to use? Would
> not it be better to propose generic libraries or packages for
> inclusion in projects directly?

tonyg is wondering how to go about building gnatcoll so that it can be
included in Debian; then people could install and use it without
compiling it themselves.

Until someone has done this, people who want to use gnatcoll have to
(try to) build it themselves.

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-14 20:10     ` Multiplayer1080
From: Multiplayer1080 @ 2013-03-14 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

El jueves, 14 de marzo de 2013 15:15:37 UTC-4:30, Simon Wright  escribió:
> Multiplayer1080 writes:
>

> > El martes, 5 de marzo de 2013 13:11:32 UTC-4:30, tonyg  escribió:
>
> >> I noticed this pre compiled library was not on debian wheezy. Having
>
> > being spoiled by the excellent ada support on debian and being
>
> > interested in the python interfacing, I was wondering (very possibly
>
> > quite naively) at the issues and dependencies involved.
>

> > I very interested in this topic. But I have a question, sorry if i'm
>
> > saying an aberration, Why we have to compile this tools to use? Would
>
> > not it be better to propose generic libraries or packages for
>
> > inclusion in projects directly?
>

> tonyg is wondering how to go about building gnatcoll so that it can be
>
> included in Debian; then people could install and use it without
>
> compiling it themselves.
>

> Until someone has done this, people who want to use gnatcoll have to
>
> (try to) build it themselves.

Yes. I know that, and its really awesome that someone is dedicated to do that to help the community. I was referring to: Why Adacore does not create libraries (for Postgresql for example) instead of Gnatcolls?

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-15 10:28       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2013-03-15 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Multiplayer1080 <marlontrujillo1080@gmail.com> writes:

> Why Adacore does
> not create libraries (for Postgresql for example) instead of
> Gnatcolls?

GNATcoll is (in part) a library for Postgresql.

So I don't understand your question.

If you are asking why AdaCore does not provide pre-compiled versions, I
assume they don't want to spend the time on all the possible targets. It
is very easy to compile gnatcoll once you have the AdaCore tools
installed.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GNATColl
@ 2013-03-15 12:25         ` Multiplayer1080
From: Multiplayer1080 @ 2013-03-15 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

El viernes, 15 de marzo de 2013 05:58:52 UTC-4:30, Stephen Leake  escribió:
> Multiplayer1080  writes:
>

> > Why Adacore does
>
> > not create libraries (for Postgresql for example) instead of
>
> > Gnatcolls?
>

> GNATcoll is (in part) a library for Postgresql.
>

> So I don't understand your question.
>

> If you are asking why AdaCore does not provide pre-compiled versions, I
>
> assume they don't want to spend the time on all the possible targets. It
>
> is very easy to compile gnatcoll once you have the AdaCore tools
>
> installed.
>

> --
>
> -- Stephe

that's true. I agree.