* Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-07  0:34 Stephen Thompson
From: Stephen Thompson @ 2004-09-07  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Couldn't help but notice that MS is a platinum sponsor of SigAda 2004.

As far as I know this is the first time this has happened.

What can we read into this ???.

Stephen Thompson

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-07  1:03 ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-09-07  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

That is interesting,

For Ada and for Microsoft too I would say.  I don't think they would sponsor
if they didn't think there was something there for them, maybe, but I don't
think so :-).   Microsoft Visual Ada Anyone?  ;-)

But hey, if Microsoft is sponsoring, I think it's great for both worlds :-).

And that's my 2 Cents! ;-)

Stephane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

"Stephen Thompson" <stephenthompson678@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Couldn't help but notice that MS is a platinum sponsor of SigAda 2004.
>
> As far as I know this is the first time this has happened.
>
> What can we read into this ???.
>
> Stephen Thompson

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-07  1:55 ` Christopher Browne
From: Christopher Browne @ 2004-09-07  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoth stephenthompson678@hotmail.com (Stephen Thompson):
> Couldn't help but notice that MS is a platinum sponsor of SigAda 2004.

They don't actually produce any Ada products, right?

Sounds like they want to come in and tell you how you can migrate to
"more reliable" Microsoft products...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/advocacy.html

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-07  2:06   ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2004-09-07  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"stephane richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Microsoft Visual Ada Anyone?  ;-)

I recall that MS looked into developing such a compiler, but decided not to
go forward with it.

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-07  2:39     ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-09-07  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yep that's the way I remember it too.

So then, either they're thinking of hitting the Ada market and/or (probably
both :-)  See what they can do with that A# project?

"Frank J. Lhota" <NOSPAM.FrankLho@rcn.com> wrote in message
> "stephane richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Microsoft Visual Ada Anyone?  ;-)
>
> I recall that MS looked into developing such a compiler, but decided not
> go forward with it.

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-07  2:42   ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-09-07  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nope, they don't...but I could build a quick Ada IDE with Microsoft Visual
BASIC ;-).  I can only begin to imagine the kind of emails I'd get hehehe...

I think you're right....of course they won't say that in so many words....it
would be politically incorrect ;-).

St�phane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote in message
> Quoth stephenthompson678@hotmail.com (Stephen Thompson):
>> Couldn't help but notice that MS is a platinum sponsor of SigAda 2004.
>
> They don't actually produce any Ada products, right?
>
> Sounds like they want to come in and tell you how you can migrate to
> "more reliable" Microsoft products...
> --
> If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/advocacy.html
> We  are MICROS~1.   You will  be assimilated.   Resistance  is futile.
> (Attributed to B.G., Gill Bates)

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-07  3:39 ` Ben Brosgol
From: Ben Brosgol @ 2004-09-07  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Thompson wrote:
> Couldn't help but notice that MS is a platinum sponsor of SigAda 2004.
>
> As far as I know this is the first time this has happened.
>
> What can we read into this ???.
>
> Stephen Thompson

Rick Conn from Microsoft is the local arrangements chair for SIGAda 2004
, and he has done an excellent job in getting his company's support for
the conference (and also in publicizing the event to local companies and
colleges).  Microsoft's platinum sponsorship is one example of Rick's
success, but alas it should not be read as evidence of a sudden language
transition within the company :-)

Ben Brosgol, SIGAda past chair
brosgol at gnat.com

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-07  8:13 ` Rod Chapman
From: Rod Chapman @ 2004-09-07  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

stephenthompson678@hotmail.com (Stephen Thompson) wrote in message news:<3d8895.0409061634.1554704d@posting.google.com>...
> Couldn't help but notice that MS is a platinum sponsor of SigAda 2004.
>
> As far as I know this is the first time this has happened.
>
> What can we read into this ???.

I suggest Richard Conn can answer this - Richard was a long-time Ada
(and SPARK...) user at Lockheed Marietta.  He now works for
Microsoft.  He's local arrangements chair for SIGAda, so I guess
he's behind this...

The key-note speakers for SIGAda are also impressive - Pam Thompson is
a Director at Lockheed Aeronautical, and Watts Humphrey should need
no introduction - he's the guy behind the PSP and TSP initiatives
at the SEI.  Interestingly, see the latest "Watts New" column on
the SEI's site:

 http://www.sei.cmu.edu/news-at-sei/columns/watts_new/watts-new.htm

This may give us some idea as to what his key-note will cover.  I'm looking
forward to the next installment of it!

 - Rod, SPARK Team

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-10  7:48       ` Jeff
From: Jeff @ 2004-09-10  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"stephane richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<bb9%c.1348$sS4.1074@trndny03>...
> Yep that's the way I remember it too.
>
> So then, either they're thinking of hitting the Ada market and/or (probably
> both :-)  See what they can do with that A# project?

Did you notice the following on the A# website?

"Negotiations are in progress with Microsoft to include Ada in Visual
Studio .NET"

I personally would love to see this happen.  I think it would greatly
increase the use of Ada.  I'd also like to see the A# project ported
to *nix so that it could run on the Mono and Portable DotNet.   I
think this would fill a big void in using Ada for desktop
applications.  Namely, the lack of application frameworks and support
libraries.

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-10 12:07         ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-09-10 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff" <jeff.huter@bigfoot.com> wrote in message >
> Did you notice the following on the A# website?
>
> "Negotiations are in progress with Microsoft to include Ada in Visual
> Studio .NET"
>
> I personally would love to see this happen.  I think it would greatly
> increase the use of Ada.  I'd also like to see the A# project ported
> to *nix so that it could run on the Mono and Portable DotNet.   I
> think this would fill a big void in using Ada for desktop
> applications.  Namely, the lack of application frameworks and support
> libraries.

Yeah I noticed it (though quite recently) I don't think it's been there that
long.  I think you're right, if this was to happen, it would be a good boost
for Ada.  I think there's many other possibilities with Microsoft too that
could play a big role for Ada aside A# too :-)....so I think it's all good
:-).

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-10 15:45           ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-09-10 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

stephane richard wrote:

> "Jeff" <jeff.huter@bigfoot.com> wrote in message >
>> Did you notice the following on the A# website?
>>
>> "Negotiations are in progress with Microsoft to include Ada in Visual
>> Studio .NET"
>>
>> I personally would love to see this happen.  I think it would greatly
>> increase the use of Ada.  I'd also like to see the A# project ported
>> to *nix so that it could run on the Mono and Portable DotNet.   I
>> think this would fill a big void in using Ada for desktop
>> applications.  Namely, the lack of application frameworks and support
>> libraries.
>
> Yeah I noticed it (though quite recently) I don't think it's been there
> that
> long.  I think you're right, if this was to happen, it would be a good
> boost
> for Ada.  I think there's many other possibilities with Microsoft too that
> could play a big role for Ada aside A# too :-)....so I think it's all good
> :-).

But A# is OpenSource based on GNAT. Do I have to say more...

With Regards

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-10 15:50         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-09-10 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

jeff.huter@bigfoot.com (Jeff) writes:

> Did you notice the following on the A# website?
>
> "Negotiations are in progress with Microsoft to include Ada in Visual
> Studio .NET"

This is very old, we don't know the current status.

> I personally would love to see this happen.  I think it would greatly
> increase the use of Ada.

I second that.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-11  4:52         ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2004-09-11  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff wrote:
> Did you notice the following on the A# website?
>
> "Negotiations are in progress with Microsoft to include Ada in Visual
> Studio .NET"

And then they mess with it to ensure incompatibility
with other vendors' compilers .....

--
Wes Groleau

    I've noticed lately that the paranoid fear of computers becoming
    intelligent and taking over the world has almost entirely disappeared
    from the common culture.  Near as I can tell, this coincides with
    the release of MS-DOS.
                                  -- Larry DeLuca

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-11 11:44             ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2004-09-11 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Martin Krischik:

> But A# is OpenSource based on GNAT. Do I have to say more...

Microsoft already distributes GCC.

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-12  8:02               ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-09-12  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Microsoft already distributes GCC.

Can you say more ? Or is this a joke ?

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-12  9:14                 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-09-12  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.org> wrote:
:
: Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> writes:
:
:> Microsoft already distributes GCC.
:
: Can you say more ? Or is this a joke ?

just enter
 gcc site:.microsoft.com
into your favourite Google search field :-)

-- Georg

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-12 14:22                   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-09-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> writes:

> just enter
>  gcc site:.microsoft.com
> into your favourite Google search field :-)

Ok, I see this is based on Interix.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: Microsoft & Ada ???
@ 2004-09-12 17:47               ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-09-12 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Martin Krischik:
>
>> But A# is OpenSource based on GNAT. Do I have to say more...
>
> Microsoft already distributes GCC.

You are kidding, are you!

With Regards

Martin

--

@ 2004-09-13 13:15           ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2004-09-13 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wes Groleau" <groleau+news@freeshell.org> wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
> > Did you notice the following on the A# website?
> >
> > "Negotiations are in progress with Microsoft to include Ada in Visual
> > Studio .NET"
>
> And then they mess with it to ensure incompatibility
> with other vendors' compilers .....

So what??

If industry flame wars started raging over MS Visual Ada versus gcc GNAT
Ada, what wonderful publicity that would be!

(Programmers always love to take sides in technical debates, y'know :-)

Marc A. Criley
McKae Technologies
www.mckae.com