* Re: INFO-ADA Digest V91 #174
@ 1991-06-21 20:59 James Burnell, WVU Comp/Ele Engr
From: James Burnell, WVU Comp/Ele Engr @ 1991-06-21 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

INFO-ADA-REQUEST@AJPO.SEI.CMU.EDU( 21-JU writes:

>TECO was invented at MIT back in the 60's.  I doubt you could
>find a running TECO any more, but it was widely available (from
>DECUS) on DEC PDP series machines as recently as 1980 at least.
>The original EMACS was written in TECO; in fact, the name stands
>for Editing MACroS, since EMACS was just a set of TECO macros
>for keeping the screen continuously updated.  If you remember
>TECO, you're a Pretty Old Programmer (Not Real Old, but Pretty
>Old).  Or maybe you just started young ...   ;-)

>From our local Helpfile (VAX/VMS 5.4-1):

EDIT

  /TECO

       Invokes the TECO interactive text editor. The /TECO qualifier is
       required.

       Format

         EDIT/TECO  [filespec]

         EDIT/TECO/EXECUTE=command-file  [argument]
|                                                        |                   |
|  James D. Burnell, West Virginia University undergrad  | %MAIL-W-NODISC,   |
|  Computer/Electrical Engineering Major                 |  file MAIL_DIR:   |
|  Internet : UN025523@WVNVMS.WVNET.EDU                  |  DISCLAIMER.TXT   |
|  BITNET   : UN025523@WVNVMS                            |  not found.       |
|________________________________________________________|___________________|

* Re: INFO-ADA Digest V91 #174
@ 1991-07-08 11:49 Harry Erwin
From: Harry Erwin @ 1991-07-08 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

UN025523@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU ("James Burnell, WVU Comp/Ele Engr") writes:

>INFO-ADA-REQUEST@AJPO.SEI.CMU.EDU( 21-JU writes:

>>TECO was invented at MIT back in the 60's.  I doubt you could
>>find a running TECO any more, but it was widely available (from
>>DECUS) on DEC PDP series machines as recently as 1980 at least.
>>The original EMACS was written in TECO; in fact, the name stands
>>for Editing MACroS, since EMACS was just a set of TECO macros
>>for keeping the screen continuously updated.  If you remember
>>TECO, you're a Pretty Old Programmer (Not Real Old, but Pretty
>>Old).  Or maybe you just started young ...   ;-)

Both TECO and EMACS were in use at Norden Systems as late as
1987. I remember it well, being involved in maintaining it.
I believe they are still available (and maybe even still
maintained) at MIT.

--
Harry Erwin
Internet: erwin@trwacs.fp.trw.com

* Re: INFO-ADA Digest V91 #174
@ 1991-07-12  0:13 Gary Barnes
From: Gary Barnes @ 1991-07-12  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

TECO is alive and well.  It is living on thousands of PCs of various
makes and models.  It is still actively supported by folks at DECUS
and there is even an Ada implementation of TECO.  TECO is too easy to
use, and too good not to use, for it to die easily.  It's quite nice
for doing script-based editing.  EMACS is, being screen based, is
better for interactive editing.