* Software Engineering News Brief
@ 1996-11-01  0:00 Software Engineering News
From: Software Engineering News @ 1996-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Software Engineering News Brief
Week Ending 11/1/96.

ARTICLE CODE KEY:

Articles contained in the Software Engineering News Brief are classified
according to the four major areas covered by the Software Engineering
Information Center (SEIC).  They are:

ADA:  Ada and Ada 95 related issues.
REUSE:  Software reuse related issues.
DII:  Defense Information Infrastructure related issues.
COE:  Common Operating Environment related issues.

********************************
AJPO SAYS ADA'S FUTURE IS SOLID

Even if Ada loses its preferred status for all but military weapons
systems, the language won't die, said Dr. Charles Engle, chief of the
Defense Department's Ada Joint Program Office.

AJPO, which promotes the DoD-funded language, plans to win greater
acceptance through education, Engle said.  This year, all freshman at
the U.S. Military Academy and the Air Force Academy are required to take
Ada 95 programming.  AJPO has won commitments to Ada 95 from 17 DoD program
managers, through incentives that include free training and financial
assistance with tools and bindings.

Engle said that a National Research Council review of DoD's Ada policy,
due October 31, likely will recommend that Ada remain the preferred
language for certain command-and-control systems.  He expects the report
to recommend using commercial applications elsewhere.

TOPIC:  ADA

SOURCE:  Government Computer News v15(25), Oct. 7, 1996, p.3.

*******************************
YEAR 2000  NO PROBLEM FOR ADA

Ada developers who've been scorned by the C/C++ camp might be laughing
all the way to the year 2000.

Ada applications aren't likely to fail any time between now and January 1,
2000, or beyond, for the simple reason that Ada doesn't let programmers
represent dates in two-digit shorthand.

"There's no problem with Ada," said Jacques Brygier, marketing director
for Thompson Software Products.  "The language has been defined in a way
that you cannot make this kind of mistake."

According to Dr. Charles Engle, chief of the Ada Joint Program Office, the
Ada language itself has built-in dates from 1901 to 2099, thus eliminating
the 2000 problem.

TOPIC: ADA

SOURCE:  Olsen, Florence.  "Ada sails smoothly into 2000," Government
Computer News v15(25), Oct. 7, 1996, p. 33.

*************************************

DCE INCORPORATED INTO WORLD WIDE WEB CLIENTS AND SERVERS

Government Computer News reports that vendors have announced the first
products incorporating the Distributed Computed Environment (DCE) into
World Wide Web clients and servers.

IBM's DCE-based "DFS Web" and Transarc Corporation's DCE "DFS Light"
incorporate DCE server software and protocols for making Web-type
environments practical for secure intranets.  They will deal with a
"security problem that the Web up to this point has not been able to
solve," said Ron Galvin, a consultant with Keane Federal Systems in
Columbia, MD.

The products, priced at about $75 for client software and at about $1500
for the server, will be shipped this Fall and in early 1997.

TOPIC:  DII, COE

SOURCE:  Olsen, Florence.  "DCE services start to appear in Web clients
and servers," Government Computer News v15(27), Oct. 21, 1996, p. 36.

DOD SIMULATION STANDARDS PROMOTE REUSE

The Defense Department has established a new High Level Architecture
(HLA) in order to attain a higher return on its investment in modeling
and simulation technology.  This new technical architecture, to which all
present and future simulation projects must conform, lays out basic rules
of behavior simulation that programs should follow and defines the
interfaces through which independently developed programs can interact.

DoD believes that HLA will make it easier to get more use and,
importantly, more reuse out of its simulation programs.  By providing
interoperability, the new architecture will allow the quick "federation"
of simulation programs by tying together programs developed through
different services.  Joint programs are a priority because man DoD
missions require joint service participation.

An order signed last month by the under-secretary of Defense for
acquisition and technology requires all future simulation programs to
comply with HLA and all existing programs to be brought into compliance
or phased out by the first day of fiscal year 2001.

TOPIC:  REUSE

SOURCE:  Monroe, John Stein.  "DoD adopts simulation standards," Federal
Computer Week v10(30), October 7, 1996, p. 10, 16.

The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Software Engineering
Information Center (SEIC) "Software Engineering News Brief" is a
compilation of summaries from software engineering-related
articles in trade magazines, newsletters and press releases. The DISA
SEIC welcomes suggestions for and pointers to software
engineering-related articles.  Contact the DISA SEIC at:

info@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us

To subscribe to the "Software Engineering News Brief" electronic
mailing
list, send a message to:
        listproc@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us
In the body of the message, write:
        subscribe newslist <your name>
To unsubscribe, write:
        unsubscribe newslist
No signatures please.

* Re: Software Engineering News Brief
@ 1996-11-05  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1996-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Ada applications aren't likely to fail any time between now and January 1,
>>2000, or beyond, for the simple reason that Ada doesn't let programmers
>>represent dates in two-digit shorthand.
>
>Seems rather restrictive.
  It's also incorrect.  Ada, like any other general purpose programming
language, of course lets programmers encode dates any way they please.
Ada *does* have a standard Calendar.Time type with a Year from 1901
through 2099, which any product calling itself a validated Ada compiler
is required to support.  So programmers will usually find it simpler to
use the standard than to 'roll their own' internal encoding.  The
standard says nothing about external, human readable input/output
formats, however, and as an international standard it could hardly demand
conformance to, say, "MM/DD/YY" or "Fifth Day of November, Year of Our
Lord Nineteen Hundred and Ninety Six".  ;)

* Re: Software Engineering News Brief
@ 1996-11-07  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1996-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  I don't believe there is any requirement to *limit* years to 1900-2099,
>rather there *is* a portability requirement to allow *at least* that range.
   I just looked this up and it needs correction: the system should be
able to raise an exception when the year is outside 1901 through 2099,
or the month is outside 1 through 12, etc.  If the vendor wants to allow
the programmer to relax these rules, he'll have to allow the programmer
to do it via a pragma, compilation time switch, or some such thing, and,
of course, the vendor should then document just what his compiler allows.

[parent not found: <55t882$9m@news2.delphi.com>]
* Re: Software Engineering News Brief
@ 1996-11-09  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1996-11-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>"   I just looked this up and it needs correction: the system should be
>able to raise an exception when the year is outside 1901 through 2099,
>or the month is outside 1 through 12, etc.  If the vendor wants to allow
>the programmer to relax these rules, he'll have to allow the programmer
>to do it via a pragma, compilation time switch, or some such thing, and,
>of course, the vendor should then document just what his compiler allows."
>
>However, extending the range of Year_Number with a switch would be a highly
>inappropriate language extension in my view. It would be much better to
>provide an alternative package, e.g. Extended_Calendar, which looked similar
>to Calendar, but provided an extended period of coverage.
  Extending the range of Year_Number with a compiler switch might or might
not be a good idea, but turning off constraint checking either locally
on calls to Split, Time_Of, "+", "-" etc with a Pragma, or globally with
a compiler switch, is what I had in mind.  (Obviously Split et al must be
coded to properly handle such shenanigans, but we're assuming here that
a vendor is specifically trying to allow extension of the usual range.)

* Re: Software Engineering News Brief
@ 1996-11-12  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1996-11-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Eggert <eggert@TWINSUN.COM> writes:
>This hilarious (and obviously false) claim reminds me of the confident
>announcement I found in Sun's bug database a few months ago to the effect that
>Solaris doesn't have any year-2000 problems because the kernel merely
>counts seconds since 1970.  Well, that's true as far as it goes, but it
>turns out that several Solaris applications (SCCS and xterm, for example)
>_do_ have year-2000 problems because the application developers saw fit
>to take the year modulo 100, or subtract 1900 from the year, or some
>such nonsense.  To Sun's credit when I pointed out some of these
>problems they quickly toned down their announcement, and they are
>testing the next Solaris release more carefully for year-2000 bugs.

    I am reminded of a statement made by some CEO of some nameless
    computer manufacturer. The claim was: "So far as I know, we've
    never had an undetected error in the operating system..."

    I wish I could recall who said this and when so I could add it to
    my quote list. (For some reason, Honeywell comes to mind - but I
    couldn't be sure it wasn't Burroughs or someone else... Ahh the
    memory leaks I seem to have with no garbage collection operating
    in my brain!)

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        561.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        561.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
    "That which belongs to another."

        --  Diogenes, when asked what wine he liked to drink.