* GNAT LLVM
@ 2018-07-21 13:53 Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2018-07-21 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

An interesting hint in the gprbuild repo:

https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/commit/eb94de5bfcc5c5ddd36f701cfd43e542a96c118f

* Re: GNAT LLVM
@ 2018-07-22  0:35 ` Roger
From: Roger @ 2018-07-22  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 11:53:11 PM UTC+10, Simon Wright wrote:
> An interesting hint in the gprbuild repo:
>
> https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/commit/eb94de5bfcc5c5ddd36f701cfd43e542a96c118f

If using gprbuild on mac, make sure to use the latest repo.
See:
https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/issues/44

* Re: GNAT LLVM
@ 2018-07-22  0:53   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2018-07-22  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roger <rogermcm2@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 11:53:11 PM UTC+10, Simon Wright wrote:
>> An interesting hint in the gprbuild repo:
>>
>> https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/commit/eb94de5bfcc5c5ddd36f701cfd43e542a96c118f
>
> If using gprbuild on mac, make sure to use the latest repo.
> See:
> https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/issues/44

I don’t know what you’re responding to, but it’s not really this.

* Re: GNAT LLVM
@ 2018-07-22  1:17     ` Roger
From: Roger @ 2018-07-22  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 10:53:35 AM UTC+10, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> Roger <rogermcm2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 11:53:11 PM UTC+10, Simon Wright wrote:
> >> An interesting hint in the gprbuild repo:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/commit/eb94de5bfcc5c5ddd36f701cfd43e542a96c118f
> >
> > If using gprbuild on mac, make sure to use the latest repo.
> > See:
> > https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/issues/44
> >

> I don’t know what you’re responding to, but it’s not really this.

I was responding to Simon’s comment which concerns Adacore’s gprbuild tool.
The version of gprbuild shipped with GNAT 2012 fails on Mac OSX as it does not fully support LLVM.
My comment concerns gprbuild with respect to this problem.
An "An interesting hint " is that if you want to use gprbuild with LLVM you need to use the latest distro of gprbuild.
See, the last few items of https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/issues/44n which is titled "
C++ code fails under GNAT 2018”.  The reason for the failure turned out to be a gprbuild bug involving gprconfig which did not recognise the LLVM C++ compiler.
An "An interesting hint " is
The latest gprbuild bistro does not have this bug (Simon's hint I think).

* Re: GNAT LLVM
@ 2018-07-22  1:36       ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-07-22  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 8:17:05 PM UTC-5, Roger wrote:
> On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 10:53:35 AM UTC+10, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> > Roger wrote:

> > > If using gprbuild on mac, make sure to use the latest repo.
> > > See:
> > > https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/issues/44
> > >

> > I don’t know what you’re responding to, but it’s not really this.
>
> I was responding to Simon’s comment which concerns Adacore’s gprbuild tool.
> The version of gprbuild shipped with GNAT 2012 fails on Mac OSX as it does not fully support LLVM.
> My comment concerns gprbuild with respect to this problem.
> An "An interesting hint " is that if you want to use gprbuild with LLVM you need to use the latest distro of
> gprbuild.
> See, the last few items of https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/issues/44n which is titled "
> C++ code fails under GNAT 2018”.  The reason for the failure turned out to be a gprbuild bug involving
> gprconfig which did not recognise the LLVM C++ compiler.
> An "An interesting hint " is
> The latest gprbuild bistro does not have this bug (Simon's hint I think).

Thank you very much, Roger.  Your reply was actually very much more on-topic & a-propos than anyone (including myself) realized at first.  It seems that Simon's hint evidently is actually about interworking GIMPLE/RTL-backended GNAT's generated code with LLVM-backended Clang's generated code.  It seems that Simon's hint is evidently not pursuant to a full-fledged LLVM-backended GNAT.

(Can anyone imagine the reaction from RMS if the official FSF GNAT maintainers at AdaCore were to check in the bulk of LLVM into FSF repositories for an LLVM-backended GNAT to comply with the intermediate-representation prohibitions/restrictions in GPLv3's Runtime Library Exception?  I think that some wild bulls in rodeo rings might be more gentle & tame.)

* Re: GNAT LLVM
@ 2018-07-22  2:52 ` olivermkellogg
From: olivermkellogg @ 2018-07-22  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 3:53:11 PM UTC+2, Simon Wright wrote:
> An interesting hint in the gprbuild repo:
>
> https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/commit/eb94de5bfcc5c5ddd36f701cfd43e542a96c118f

Yes. Have you seen
https://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc?view=revision&revision=260666
https://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc?view=revision&revision=260829
https://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc?view=revision&revision=260833
https://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc?view=revision&revision=260887

I wouldn't be surprised if there's more in the pipe.