* Compilation order?
@ 1994-09-16 14:04 David C. Brown
From: David C. Brown @ 1994-09-16 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need a tool that sorts a large list of source files into compilation order.

I have 800 files right now, with filenames averaging 17 characters long.
The Ada utilities insist on getting the list of files from the command line,
and SCO Unix doesn't allow that many characters on a command line.

Any suggestions?  Is there a tool I can get via ftp that determines
compilation order?  What would you do (besides getting a different compiler
or OS)?
--
Dave Brown N2RJT (dcb@rfc.comm.harris.com)

* Re: Compilation order?
@ 1994-09-16 19:36 ` Richard L. Conn
From: Richard L. Conn @ 1994-09-16 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, Dave,

Try the Ada System Dependency Analyzer in the PAL.  One of its report options
is compilation order.  I've seen it generate correct compilation orders for
thousands of files in a single system.

Rick

@ 1994-09-17  0:14 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-09-17  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Get GNAT! then you won't have to worry about compilation order!
Sorry couldn't resist.

Seriously, note that compilation order is not a trivial thing to figure out
if you include optimizing effectiveness of pragma inline. Certainly
Alsys has a good tool for doing this which does not have the limitations
you mention. It generates a script for their compiler, but you can easily
interprete this script.

* Re: Compilation order?
@ 1994-09-17 14:26 ` "T. Owen O'Malley"
From: "T. Owen O'Malley" @ 1994-09-17 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <Cw8745.2G5@news.ess.harris.com> dbrow42@rfc.comm.harris.com (David C. Brown) writes:

>I need a tool that sorts a large list of source files into compilation order.

  A while ago I wrote a tool that reads Ada files and generates a
Makefile to compile the system. It would be easy to modify the backend
to output a possible compilation order. It assumes Verdix/SunAda for
things like:
  1) It assumes that all ada file names end in .a
  2) Finding the used libraries

The source code is available via:
  ftp:liege.ics.uci.edu/pub/arcadia/adamakgen-2.7.4-nobin.tar.Z
or
  http://www.ics.uci.edu/~omalley/adamakegen.html

  Owen

Department of ICS  | omalley@ics.uci.edu                 (ARPA)
UC Irvine          | http://www.ics.uci.edu/~omalley/    (WWW)
Irvine, CA 92717   | ucbvax!ucivax!omalley               (UUCP)

* Re: Compilation order?
@ 1994-09-17 20:30 ` James Hopper
From: James Hopper @ 1994-09-17 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35cs34$mf7@newsflash.mitre.org> Richard L. Conn,
conn@ftmo-swc.mitre.org writes:
>Try the Ada System Dependency Analyzer in the PAL.  One of its report
options
>is compilation order.  I've seen it generate correct compilation orders
for
>thousands of files in a single system.

Rick,

I uses SDA this summer some to look at some code while i was
working down at hughes.  It did several nice things, the only
problem i had with it is that it was only available in executable
format.  I am working in an SGI environement now (Onyx and Indy).
Is there an executable for these platforms?? is it possible to
get access to the source to compile it for these platforms?
you article in the IEEE journal last winter implied it would
eventually be available in source form.

thanks jim

* Re: Compilation order?
@ 1994-09-19 12:14   ` Richard L. Conn
From: Richard L. Conn @ 1994-09-19 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, Jim,

I'm trying to get permission to release the source code.  The article spoke of
release of the Ada SDA, not saying what form, so releasing in binary, while not
the best, is all I could do so far.  ;-)

It's definitely more of a political problem than a technical one.

Rick

In article d7q@dayuc.dayton.saic.com, James Hopper <hopperj@dayton.saic.com> writes:
> Rick,
>
> I uses SDA this summer some to look at some code while i was
> working down at hughes.  It did several nice things, the only
> problem i had with it is that it was only available in executable
> format.  I am working in an SGI environement now (Onyx and Indy).
> Is there an executable for these platforms?? is it possible to
> get access to the source to compile it for these platforms?
> you article in the IEEE journal last winter implied it would
> eventually be available in source form.
>
> thanks jim

* Re: Compilation order?
@ 1994-09-19 13:53     ` James Hopper
From: James Hopper @ 1994-09-19 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35jvc4$fc2@newsflash.mitre.org> Richard L. Conn,
conn@ftmo-swc.mitre.org writes:
>I'm trying to get permission to release the source code.  The article
spoke of
>release of the Ada SDA, not saying what form, so releasing in binary,
while not
>the best, is all I could do so far.  ;-)
>
>It's definitely more of a political problem than a technical one.

Rick,

I appreicate its release in whatever form, please don't misunderstand!
I found it useful when i had a sparc machine available.  its just that
now i am limited to sgi machines for a while.  anyh chance you could
get your customer to let me have source if i repost the sgi port??

best jim