* SunAda vs, SPARCworks
@ 1994-09-16 16:34 Alan J. Link, x2056
From: Alan J. Link, x2056 @ 1994-09-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know the difference between SunAda and SPARCworks? Is there a difference?
I was asked the other why it is we have both products on our system, and I could
come up with an answer. Could someone help me with this? Thanks in advance..

Alan Link

Netdress:   alink@motown.ge.com

USSnail:    Alan J. Link
            Martin Marietta - GES       "Reality is a crutch for those who
            199 Borton Landing Road      can't handle Science Fiction"
            Moorestown, NJ 08057
            USA

"Any opinions expressed herein are, of course, my own"

* Re: SunAda vs, SPARCworks
@ 1994-09-16 23:50 ` Ankur Saha
From: Ankur Saha @ 1994-09-16 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35che7$5a2@cnn.MOTOWN.GE.COM> alink@motown.ge.com writes:

>Does anyone know the difference between SunAda and SPARCworks? Is there a difference?
>I was asked the other why it is we have both products on our system, and I could
>come up with an answer. Could someone help me with this? Thanks in advance..

Both Sun Ada and SPARCworks are products from SunSoft Developer Products (previously
known as SunPro). If you are an Ada user, the following products will be appropriate
for you:

On SunOS 4.x (also known as Solaris 1.x):
	Sun Ada 1.1		: The Ada compiler and commandline tools
	SPARCworks/Ada 1.1	: The GUI tools for fast program development
	Sun ADE 1.1		: The combination of the two above
	(ADE: Ada Development Environment)

On SunOS 5.x (also known as Solaris 2.x):
	SPARCompiler Ada 2.1	: The Ada compiler and commandline tools
	SPARCworks/Ada 2.1	: The GUI tools for fast program development
	SPARCworks Professional Ada 2.1	: The combination of the two above
	SPARCworks/iMPact Ada 1.0	: Multithreaded Ada on Solaris Threads

So, SPARCompiler is the generic name of the Sun compiler. SPARCworks is the generic
name of Sun's GUI-based productivity tools.

Hope this helps. I need to know more about your environment and version number of the
tools to give you more info. Most probably, you are using Sun Ada for Ada development
and SPARCworks for C, C++ or Fortran.

I will be glad to answer any other question.

Ankur
-----
>Alan Link

>Netdress:   alink@motown.ge.com
>
>USSnail:    Alan J. Link
>            Martin Marietta - GES       "Reality is a crutch for those who
>            199 Borton Landing Road      can't handle Science Fiction"
>            Moorestown, NJ 08057
>            USA
>
>"Any opinions expressed herein are, of course, my own"

People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.
Ankur Saha
Manager, Ada                      	e-mail:  ankur.saha@Eng.Sun.COM
SunPro, Mailstop UMTV12-40		voice:   (415)336-2050
2550 Garcia Ave				FAX:     (415)964-0946
Mountain View CA 94043-1100

* Re: SunAda vs, SPARCworks
@ 1994-09-17 19:12 ` Carole Amos
From: Carole Amos @ 1994-09-17 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan,

Sun Ada is the Ada compiler product from SunSoft for the SunOS 4.x operating system. SPARCworks/Ada is the Ada development toolset that includes: AdaVision, to graphically manage and browse Ada libraries; AdaDebug, a GUI for the Ada debugger; EditTool, an extended version of the OpenWindows text editor, LRMTool, on-line browse tool; FileMerge, and the SPARCwroks Manager to manage your development sessions.

You didn't ask but FYI, SPARCompiler Ada is the Ada compiler product from SunSoft for the Solaris 2 operating system. (Different OS, different names for our Ada products.)