* Is Ada being used on this?
@ 1994-09-19 14:57 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1994-09-19 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

     I recently saw the following item in Computerworld:

	The DoD has set up a $60 million project led by IBM that is
	aimed at developing software standards that would enable US
	manufacturers to more easily share informaiton with one
	another when jointly working on programs.  Fourteen vendors
	and universities are also participating, including DEC and
	TI.  The government is funding about $27 million of the
	project cost; the rest will come from the other group members.

This seems like an ideal vehicle for Ada promotion.  Does anyone know if Ada
will be used on this effort?  If so, it would be a great boost to the Ada
DualUse plan.  If not, well just one more $27 million dollar demonstration
of Ada apathy on the part of the DoD, and since IBM is involved it is unlikely
Ada is being used.

Greg Aharonian

* Re: Duhhhh, Is Ada being used on this?
@ 1994-09-20 11:01 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1994-09-20 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <CwDtK2.ABM@world.std.com>, srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:
|>      I recently saw the following item in Computerworld:
|>
|> 	The DoD has set up a $60 million project led by IBM that is
|> 	aimed at developing software standards that would enable US
|> 	manufacturers to more easily share informaiton with one
|> 	another when jointly working on programs.  Fourteen vendors

|> This seems like an ideal vehicle for Ada promotion.  Does anyone know if Ada
|> will be used on this effort?  If so, it would be a great boost to the Ada
|> DualUse plan.  If not, well just one more $27 million dollar demonstration
|>
|> Greg Aharonian

Standards for sharing of information? Sounds like a managerial issue. Where
does this have any relevance to Ada, or any other programming language?

If you can't find a subject suitable for you daily diatribe, Greg, you could
just skip a day.

Please?

T.E.D.

* Re: Is Ada being used on this?
@ 1994-09-23 11:10 ` Fred McCall
From: Fred McCall @ 1994-09-23 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <CwDtK2.ABM@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com Gregory Aharonian writes:

>     I recently saw the following item in Computerworld:
>
>    The DoD has set up a $60 million project led by IBM that is
>    aimed at developing software standards that would enable US
>    manufacturers to more easily share informaiton with one
>    another when jointly working on programs.  Fourteen vendors
>    and universities are also participating, including DEC and
>    TI.  The government is funding about $27 million of the
>    project cost; the rest will come from the other group members.
>
>This seems like an ideal vehicle for Ada promotion.  Does anyone know if Ada
>will be used on this effort?  If so, it would be a great boost to the Ada
>DualUse plan.  If not, well just one more $27 million dollar demonstration
>of Ada apathy on the part of the DoD, and since IBM is involved it is unlikely
>Ada is being used.

Is there an Ada compiler for the IBM 3090?

I (vaguely) recall hearing something about this a year or so ago.  I
think this effort is being based on existing COTS technology.  I don't
remember what language the report I saw said it was all being done in,
but it wasn't Ada.  Hell, it would probably cost a *LOT* more than $27
million just to get back to the point where the COTS tools already are.
How much money do you think it would be worth to duplicate what already
exists, but in a 'non-Ada' form, in Ada?

This isn't 'Ada apathy', Greg; it's merely a demonstration that common
sense *occasionally* intrudes even inside the Beltway.  :-)

[It's this sort of 'reasoning' that sometimes calls your credibility
into question, Greg, even among people who might otherwise often agree
with you.]

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live
 in the real world."   -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

* Re: Is Ada being used on this?
@ 1994-09-25 12:26   ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1994-09-25 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <85B9189D400@annwfn.com>, Fred McCall <merlin@annwfn.com> wrote:
>Is there an Ada compiler for the IBM 3090?

In case you really wanted to know...

Yes there is an Ada compiler for the IBM 3090,
and it is "commercial off the shelf" ;-).
Actually there are two, one from Intermetrics, and one from OC Systems.

>merlin@annwfn.com -- I don't speak for others and they don't speak for me.

S. Tucker Taft   stt@inmet.com
Intermetrics, Inc.
Cambridge, MA  02138

* Re: Is Ada being used on this?
@ 1994-09-26 12:56     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-09-26 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Doesn't Alsys also have a compiler for the IBM mainframes (they certainly
used to). In practice all three compilers for IBM mainframes found that
the total number of Ada mainframe customers was limited, so the shelves
that these compilers sit on are pretty dusty!

* Re: Is Ada being used on this?
@ 1994-09-26 18:46       ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1994-09-26 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

As far as I know, Alsys no longer sells their IBM S/370 Ada compiler.
Only Intermetrics and OC Systems are still "competing" for the
IBM mainframe Ada business at this point, I believe.

Surprisingly, the shelves are not as dusty as you might think.
At least in the armed services, there are still a fair number
of IBM mainframes, and many of them have Ada compilers (whether
they need them or not ;-).

-Tucker Taft  stt@inmet.com
Intermetrics, Inc.

* Re: Is Ada being used on this?
@ 1994-09-27 13:26 ` Joseph Skinner
From: Joseph Skinner @ 1994-09-27 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <CwDtK2.ABM@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:
>     I recently saw the following item in Computerworld:
>
>   The DoD has set up a $60 million project led by IBM that is
>   aimed at developing software standards that would enable US
>   manufacturers to more easily share informaiton with one
>   another when jointly working on programs.  Fourteen vendors
>   and universities are also participating, including DEC and
>   TI.  The government is funding about $27 million of the
>   project cost; the rest will come from the other group members.
>
>This seems like an ideal vehicle for Ada promotion.  Does anyone know if Ada
>will be used on this effort?  If so, it would be a great boost to the Ada
>DualUse plan.  If not, well just one more $27 million dollar demonstration
>of Ada apathy on the part of the DoD, and since IBM is involved it is unlikely
>Ada is being used.

It is quite possible that this work is being done using CORBA standards
and is therefore not pro or anti Ada.

Also with more use of IDL as a linking technology at the library level
this could be seen as an advantage for Ada.

Joe.

Joseph Skinner                      | Invercargill
usenet: joe@jsnode.equinox.gen.nz   | New Zealand

There is no such thing as a wizard who minds his own business
                          - Berengis the Black
                            Court Mage to the Earl Caeline

* Re: Is Ada being used on this?
@ 1994-09-29 13:52   ` R. William Beckwith
From: R. William Beckwith @ 1994-09-29 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joseph Skinner (joe@jsnode.equinox.gen.nz) wrote:

: It is quite possible that this work is being done using CORBA standards
: and is therefore not pro or anti Ada.

I am planning on attending the NIIIP briefing on Monday.  I will post info
after I attend.

: Also with more use of IDL as a linking technology at the library level
: this could be seen as an advantage for Ada.

Agreed.  Defining interfaces in IDL puts Ada on a level playing field with other
languages and thus lets the natural strength shine through.

... Bill

--
e-mail: Bill.Beckwith@ois.com       |    Team Ada
Objective Interface Systems, Inc.   | dist, full O-O