* Ada Mode for XEmacs
@ 1998-12-17  0:00 Nobody
From: Nobody @ 1998-12-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am currently trying to install the Ada mode for XEmacs from the
Ada-Belgium site on my UNIX system. The installation instructions state the
following:-

Put all these files in your load path and insert 'dot.emacs' into your
personal emacs start up file '.emacs'. For a system-wide installation it is
best to copy the files in the site-lisp directory (usually
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp) and merge dot.emacs into default.el.

Then they recommend a byte-recompile-directory command.

I am attempting a system-wide installation on XEmacs 19.16, which I have
just installed.

My assumptions from the both above instructions are:

1) Copy all the files extracted from the tar file ( mostly *.el files) into
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp.
2) Copy all the lines of code from dot.emacs to default.el.
3) Byte-recompile-directory /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp

Unfortunately my assumptions do not work. As when I byte-recompile the
directory, XEmacs informs me that 0 files were compiled.
In addition, I had to create a default.el file and my site-lisp directory
was empty before I copied all the new files over. All my lisp files are
resident in another directory called /usr/local/emacs-19.16/lisp/.

Are my assumptions correct ?

Has anyone else out there ever installed the Ada-mode XEmacs, if so could
you provide me with so more detailed instructions?

Or am I just using the byte-recompile-directory incorrectly or even
compiling the wrong directory?

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide my with.

Cheers,

Davinder Gautam

gautamd@logica.com

* Re: Ada Mode for XEmacs
@ 1998-12-17  0:00 ` brian
From: brian @ 1998-12-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nobody wrote:

> I am currently trying to install the Ada mode for XEmacs from the
> Ada-Belgium site on my UNIX system. The installation instructions state the
> following:-
>
> Put all these files in your load path and insert 'dot.emacs' into your
> personal emacs start up file '.emacs'. For a system-wide installation it is
> best to copy the files in the site-lisp directory (usually
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp) and merge dot.emacs into default.el

> Cheers,
>
> Davinder Gautam
>
> gautamd@logica.com

Dear Nobody

Firstly may I suggest getting Xemacs 20.4 from

http://www.xemacs.org/

Have you got two files one called

xemacs-20.4-common.tar.gz
and
xemacs-20.4-i386-pc-linux.tar.gz ??

You need both; (about 17.5Mb)
then follow the instructions and you should have a lot more luck:-)
Let me know your results please.
Regards Brian.

Brian,  London U.K.             "If you are not living life on the
brianc@billybob.demon.co.uk     edge you are taking up too much space"

* Re: Ada Mode for XEmacs
@ 1998-12-17  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-12-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <75ahtn$sk7@romeo.logica.co.uk>,
  "Nobody" <gautamd@logica.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately my assumptions do not work. As when I byte-recompile the
> directory, XEmacs informs me that 0 files were compiled.
> In addition, I had to create a default.el file and my site-lisp directory
> was empty before I copied all the new files over. All my lisp files are
> resident in another directory called /usr/local/emacs-19.16/lisp/.

I use normal Emacs. But with a default installation of normal emacs the
site-lisp directory is indeed empty. I believe it is intended as a place to
put customizations. Therefore it makes perfect sense that there is nothing in
it on a default installation!

Not being able to byte-compile the directory is not fatal. Emacs can (and
will) run off of the .el files. Compiling them just makes emacs run faster.
However, before you give up on compiling, try loading them into an emacs
buffer and byte compiling the individual files one-by-one. Note that you are
quite likely to get some warnings when you do this. Just pretend you're a C
programmer and ignore them. :-)

--
T.E.D.

* Re: Ada Mode for XEmacs
@ 1998-12-17  0:00   ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1998-12-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dennison@telepath.com writes:

> Not being able to byte-compile the directory is not fatal. Emacs can (and
> will) run off of the .el files. Compiling them just makes emacs run faster.
> However, before you give up on compiling, try loading them into an emacs
> buffer and byte compiling the individual files one-by-one. Note that you are
> quite likely to get some warnings when you do this. Just pretend you're a C
> programmer and ignore them. :-)

Another way to byte-compile an elisp file is to visit a dired-mode
buffer, move to cursor on the name of the file you want to compile, and
then use the 'B' command to compile it.