* Re: Ord Function HELP Please HELP HELP HELP
@ 1998-12-14  0:00     ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3679891d.19665290@news.smartlink.net>,
  John_Lin@paramount.com (Johnny) wrote:

> I'm a new ada coder, and I have run into a small problem, I can't find
> a function that will return the ASCII converted number for any key
> pressed on the keyboard,   example:  user hits the backspace key, I
> would like to be able to catch the key however, without a function to
> convert the ASCII representation to #8, we would have no idea that he
> pressed the backspace.  In VB it's the "CHR" function in Pascal it's
> the "Ord" function, ADA95 does not list this function anywhere that I
> can find, I am hoping it is built into the compiler, however, I think

  Character'pos('8') will return the integer value 56.

  Integer'image("8") will return the integer value 8. Integer'image("88") will
return the integer value 88, Integer'image("888") will..., well, you get the
idea.

I suspect the second is what you are asking for. It would be a good idea to
look through annex K of the Ada LRM ( http://www.adahome.com/rm95/rm9x-K.html
). There are all sorts of goodies in there for you!

--
T.E.D.

From: dennison @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <753bi6$2s8$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dennison@telepath.com wrote:

>   Integer'image("8") will return the integer value 8. Integer'image("88") will
> return the integer value 88, Integer'image("888") will..., well, you get the
> idea.

Whoops! Replace the "'image" above with "'value". "'image" does the inverse
process.

I have *got* to start getting more sleep...

--
T.E.D.

* Ord Function HELP Please HELP HELP HELP
@ 1998-12-14  0:00 Johnny
From: Johnny @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know the ADA function equivelent to Pascals "Ord"
Function, the function that gives the ASCII number for it's related
symbol?

ANY hELP IS APPRECIATED

THANK YOU

* Re: Ord Function HELP Please HELP HELP HELP
@ 1998-12-14  0:00 ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do you mean integer'image(5)
which gives " 5"? or do you mean "fifth"?

* Re: Ord Function HELP Please HELP HELP HELP
@ 1998-12-14  0:00   ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:21:52 GMT, tmoran@bix.com (Tom Moran) wrote:

>Do you mean integer'image(5)
>which gives " 5"? or do you mean "fifth"?

Hi, Thank You for your msg,
I'm a new ada coder, and I have run into a small problem, I can't find
a function that will return the ASCII converted number for any key
pressed on the keyboard,   example:  user hits the backspace key, I
would like to be able to catch the key however, without a function to
convert the ASCII representation to #8, we would have no idea that he
pressed the backspace.  In VB it's the "CHR" function in Pascal it's
the "Ord" function, ADA95 does not list this function anywhere that I
can find, I am hoping it is built into the compiler, however, I think
I may need to dload a Package.

Any Help is much appreciated,

Thnx ,Johnny

* Re: Ord Function HELP Please HELP HELP HELP
@ 1998-12-14  0:00     ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John_Lin@paramount.com (Johnny) writes:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:21:52 GMT, tmoran@bix.com (Tom Moran) wrote:
>
> >Do you mean integer'image(5)
> >which gives " 5"? or do you mean "fifth"?
>

> Hi, Thank You for your msg,
> I'm a new ada coder, and I have run into a small problem, I can't find
> a function that will return the ASCII converted number for any key
> pressed on the keyboard,   example:  user hits the backspace key, I
> would like to be able to catch the key however, without a function to
> convert the ASCII representation to #8, we would have no idea that he
> pressed the backspace.  In VB it's the "CHR" function in Pascal it's
> the "Ord" function, ADA95 does not list this function anywhere that I
> can find, I am hoping it is built into the compiler, however, I think
> I may need to dload a Package.
>
> Any Help is much appreciated,
>
> Thnx ,Johnny

Use Get_Immediate to deliver the character corresponding to the key,
then convert that character to its integer code by using Character'Pos.

From: Matthew Heaney @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John_Lin@paramount.com (Johnny) writes:

> Does anyone know the ADA function equivelent to Pascals "Ord"
> Function, the function that gives the ASCII number for it's related
> symbol?
>
> ANY hELP IS APPRECIATED
>
> THANK YOU

Character'Pos

You should familiarize yourself with the pre-defined language
attributes, which are listed in the back of your Ada Reference Manaual.

* Re: Ord Function HELP Please HELP HELP HELP
@ 1998-12-14  0:00       ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 1998-12-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:56:42 GMT, Matthew Heaney
<matthew_heaney@acm.org> wrote:

>John_Lin@paramount.com (Johnny) writes:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:21:52 GMT, tmoran@bix.com (Tom Moran) wrote:
>>
>> >Do you mean integer'image(5)
>> >which gives " 5"? or do you mean "fifth"?
>>

>> Hi, Thank You for your msg,
>> I'm a new ada coder, and I have run into a small problem, I can't find
>> a function that will return the ASCII converted number for any key
>> pressed on the keyboard,   example:  user hits the backspace key, I
>> would like to be able to catch the key however, without a function to
>> convert the ASCII representation to #8, we would have no idea that he
>> pressed the backspace.  In VB it's the "CHR" function in Pascal it's
>> the "Ord" function, ADA95 does not list this function anywhere that I
>> can find, I am hoping it is built into the compiler, however, I think
>> I may need to dload a Package.
>>
>> Any Help is much appreciated,
>>
>> Thnx ,Johnny
>

>Use Get_Immediate to deliver the character corresponding to the key,
>then convert that character to its integer code by using Character'Pos.

Thank You Very Very Much,
Will implement the Character'Pos tonight, Thanks to your help,
Thank goodness for Usenet and nice people