* Re: Selecting a platform/processor/language for ROBOT development
       [not found]   ` <914258918.993.1.nnrp-07.9e98250c@news.demon.co.uk>
@ 1998-12-21  0:00     ` Mentifex
From: Mentifex @ 1998-12-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry Petrey <gpetrey@hercii.mar.lmco.com> wrote on 21 Dec 1998:

> Ali R. Mirhosseini wrote:

>> Hi All:
>>
>> I am new to robotics and I would like to ask a few questions:
>>
>> 1. What are the suitble programming languages for robots, especially
>> when some AI algo. involved ?
             ^^^^^^^ See "The Art of Computer Mindmaking" (below)

>> 2. What platforms are suitbale to develope SW as host development?
>>
>> 3. What are the suitable microcontolllers/processors/DSPs for the
>> target development ?
>>
>> Sorry for so general questions, but any hints will be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks and merry Xmas,
>>
>> AM

> You are asking questions whose answers are very subjective but
> mine would be:

> 1.  Assembly language, Forth, Basic, C (actually I would place
> Ada high on the list if you were using 32-bit processor as a target
> but that is not all that common, especially for beginners).

> 2. PC's running Windows 95/98 (even DOS in some cases) are the
> most common host platforms/environments.

> 3.  PICs, 68HC11, 8051 and sometimes PC motherboards with
> 80386/80486 are commonly used.

> some good links to check out:

> http://www.forth.org -- for info on Forth and free versions
> http://www.microchip.com -- for PIC info and a free Assembler/Simulator
> http://www.adahome.com -- for Ada info and free compiler info

  Let us all thank Jerry Petrey for the great group of links!
  The Ada link is now suddenly the cornerstone of the new Web page
  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/ada.html Ada for PDAI,
  which includes a link to "The Art of Computer Mindmaking".

> http://www.robotstore.com -- for kits, books, parts, etc.
> http://www.robotics.com  -- for kits and parts
> http://www.mcu.motsps.com/lit/hc11.html -- for 68HC11 info

> Also get the book - Mobile Robots : Inspiration to Implementation,
> 2nd edition
> It is the 'bible' of amateur robotics (see http://www.amazon.com ).

> Good luck,

> Jerry

> =  Jerry Petrey - Consultant Software Engineer   - Member Team Ada  =
> =                 Lockheed Martin                 Member Team Forth =
  [...]

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-12-21  0:00 UTC | newest]