* Arrest Art DePriest
@ 1994-09-27 13:10 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1994-09-27 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Given that the Ada Mandate is a Federal law that applies to all new DoD
software development, it would seem to me that violations of the Mandate are
misdemeanors or felonies, with various inter-state aspects if the code is
shipped aournd the country.  Thus clear violations of the Mandate should
warrant a criminal investigation.  For example, consider the following letter
in the September 15 issue of Datamation, page 15:

	SEARCHING FOR MINEFIELDS ON THE INTERNET.

	The "Paradigm Shift" column is proving very helpful in my work
	for the Naval Coastal Systems Station in Panama City, Florida.

	One of the projects I'm responsible for is a PC-based tactical
	aid (Tacaid) that helps Mine Countermeasure (MCM) ships
	determine the safest tactics to use when clearing a minefield.
	The Tacaid is called MARTS and it runs under Windows 3.1.  We
	developed it using MS Visual Basic for Windows.  I am very
	satisfied with it and wish to continue its development.  Also,
	it has encouraged the group I work with to consider adding GUIs
	to their applications.  Thus, we need to keep abreast of tools
	for building GUIs and GUI technology/trends in general.  Do
	you guys know of sources for this type of information via the
	Internet?

	Art DePriest
	Naval Coastal Systems Station
	Panama City, Florida

Well, given that MS Visual Basic became available after the full Mandate went
into effect years ago, Mr. DePriest has clearly violated a Federal law, and
a criminal investigation should be launched.

Minus the Ada Mandate, I would applaud Mr. DePriest's initiative.  However as
long as the idiocy of the Ada Mandate holds, his and other actions are breaking
the law and should be dealt with accordingly. I suppose the Inspector General
for the Navy should handle this.

And because of DISA's continual refusal to find out who is using what
programming languages inside the DoD, who knows how many other people like
Mr. DePriest are out there sowing the seeds of non-Ada (or in the case of
ARPA, and the Air Force's KBSA effort, planting entire fields for non-Ada).

Greg Aharonian

* Re: Arrest Art DePriest
@ 1994-09-27 16:51 ` Kent Mitchell
From: Kent Mitchell @ 1994-09-27 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregory Aharonian (srctran@world.std.com) wrote:
[snip]
: Well, given that MS Visual Basic became available after the full Mandate went
: into effect years ago, Mr. DePriest has clearly violated a Federal law, and
: a criminal investigation should be launched.

Oh ... do you know for sure that he did not request and get a waiver.  You
should be careful when you use terms like "clearly violated a Federal law"
to be sure that it is in fact "clear".  Nothing in your original post in any
may supports this statement.   Greg I agree with much of what you say but
stress once again that you only damage your reputation by indulging in such
yellow journalism.

--
Kent Mitchell                   | One possible reason that things aren't
Technical Consultant            | going according to plan is .....

* Re: Arrest Art DePriest
@ 1994-10-04 11:59 ` Fred McCall
From: Fred McCall @ 1994-10-04 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <CwsHxw.ILn@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com Gregory Aharonian writes:

>Well, given that MS Visual Basic became available after the full Mandate went
>into effect years ago, Mr. DePriest has clearly violated a Federal law, and
>a criminal investigation should be launched.

Greg, it's postings like this that make me wonder whether I would be
better off simply not reading your postings, despite the fact that some
of what you say is quite interesting and right on the mark.  Statements
(and positions) like this simply make you sound silly.

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live
 in the real world."   -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden