* New to ada.
@ 1994-10-03  1:24 Seth Hettich
From: Seth Hettich @ 1994-10-03  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just started using ada (verdix) on a sequent. I'm looking for a way
to get large integers. But it only appears to support integers up to
2^32 -1. Is there a way to get integers that can range from 0 .. 2^72

Seth Hettich

* Re: New to ada.
@ 1994-10-03  5:03 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-10-03  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

All GNAT compilers support integers of 64 bits, and to a somewhat limited
extent (basically arithmetic only) up to 128 bits using the so far
undocumented :-( entity Standard'Huge_Integer. Of course use of the
latter is not likely to be portable to other compilers, it is really
intended for internal library use.

* New to ADA
@ 1995-01-19  7:57 John Mackaay
From: John Mackaay @ 1995-01-19  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Hi all.I'm new to ADA and want to explore the language.I bought the
Walnut Creek CD ( July 94 ) and would like to get recommendations on
which compiler/editor to use which would be good for a beginner.I have
some Pascal,C++, and basic programming background.
Thanks in Advance.
John.

* New to ADA
@ 1997-11-06  0:00 Dennis East
From: Dennis East @ 1997-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Need some assistance getting started in ADA
In the following procedure I am getting
"invalid parameter list in call"
just trying to get a 3 character month string, and have made several
changes but seem to get one error followed by another.

-- Procedure to get the date in the format dd,mmm,yyyy

with gnat.io; use gnat.io;
procedure get_date is

type month_name;
type month_name is (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jly
   , Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec);
mon: month_name;

type date_record;
type date_ptr is access all date_record;
type date_record is
   record
      day: integer range 1..31;
      month: month_name;
      year: integer;
   end record;

D,date_rec: date_ptr;

begin
   put("Please enter the desired date ");
   date_rec := new date_record;
   D := date_rec;
   get(D.all.day);
   put("Enter Month ");
   get(D.all.month);	-- Error occurs here
   D.all.month:=mon;
   put("Enter Year ");
   get(D.all.year);
   new_line;
   put("Date entered is ");
   put(D.all.day);
   put("-");
   put("D.all.month");
   put("-");
   put(D.all.year);
   new_line;
end get_date;

It is possible I'm overlooking the obvious, so another solution could be
used also.  In final package I will need to input name strings into a
linked list record, so I need something similar that works.

Thanks for any assistance.. Dennis

* Re: New to ADA
@ 1997-11-07  0:00 ` bklungle
From: bklungle @ 1997-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dennis;
Here is your code modified. It compiles and runs on gnat-3.09 for Linux

with gnat.io; use gnat.io;
with text_io;
procedure get_date is
type month_name;
type month_name is (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jly, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov,
Dec);

-- Hasn't anyone mentioned enumeration io to you yet??
package eio is new text_io.enumeration_io(month_name);
use eio;

type date_record;
type date_ptr is access all date_record;
type date_record is
   record
      day: integer range 1..31;
      month: month_name;  -- This is an enumeration
      year: integer;
   end record;
D,date_rec: date_ptr;

-- I took off the .all dereferences. Not needed because only referencing
-- discrete member
begin
   put("Please enter the desired date ");
   date_rec := new date_record;
   D := date_rec;
   get(D.day);
   put("Enter Month ");
   get(D.month);
   put("Enter Year ");
   get(D.year);
   new_line;
   put("Date entered is ");
   put(D.day);
   put("-");
   put(D.month);
   put("-");
   put(D.year);
   new_line;
end get_date;

Dennis East wrote in message <346261AE.1B1F@erols.com>...
>Need some assistance getting started in ADA
>In the following procedure I am getting
>"invalid parameter list in call"
>just trying to get a 3 character month string, and have made several
>changes but seem to get one error followed by another.
>
>-- Procedure to get the date in the format dd,mmm,yyyy
>
>with gnat.io; use gnat.io;
>procedure get_date is
>
>type month_name;
>type month_name is (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jly
>   , Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec);
>mon: month_name;
>
>type date_record;
>type date_ptr is access all date_record;
>type date_record is
>   record
>      day: integer range 1..31;
>      month: month_name;
>      year: integer;
>   end record;
>
>D,date_rec: date_ptr;
>
>begin
>   put("Please enter the desired date ");
>   date_rec := new date_record;
>   D := date_rec;
>   get(D.all.day);
>   put("Enter Month ");
>   get(D.all.month); -- Error occurs here
>   D.all.month:=mon;
>   put("Enter Year ");
>   get(D.all.year);
>   new_line;
>   put("Date entered is ");
>   put(D.all.day);
>   put("-");
>   put("D.all.month");
>   put("-");
>   put(D.all.year);
>   new_line;
>end get_date;
>
>It is possible I'm overlooking the obvious, so another solution could be
>used also.  In final package I will need to input name strings into a
>linked list record, so I need something similar that works.
>
>Thanks for any assistance.. Dennis

* New to Ada
@ 2002-09-04  5:21 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2002-09-04  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've never used Ada but I like to check new things out. C++ and C appeal to
me Java not so much. Is Ada a compiled programming language? Is this Ada
that help Charles Babbage with his counting machine?

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2002-09-04  6:52 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-09-04  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bill Cunningham" <some.net> writes:

> I've never used Ada but I like to check new things out. C++ and C appeal to
> me Java not so much. Is Ada a compiled programming language?

Yes. If you want to try it look for GNAT (GNU/Ada compiler) or Aonix ObjectAda
which make available a free (yet limited) version of their compiler.

> Is this Ada that help Charles Babbage with his counting machine?

No. Ada first normalization was on 1983 named Ada83. The second norm was
from 1995 which is called Ada95 or just Ada at this point.

To learn more about Ada:

   http://www.adapower.com

Look for the AdaFAQ, but there is also plenty of resources there.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2002-09-04 10:50 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-04 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 01:21:06 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:

> I've never used Ada but I like to check new things out. C++ and C
> appeal to me Java not so much. Is Ada a compiled programming language?
> Is this Ada that help Charles Babbage with his counting machine?

Look at: http://www.adaic.com/whyada/WhyAda.html

To learn Ada95 go to: http://www.adapower.com/learn/
Here you can find free on-line books. I have added a list of links you
can visit below.

By the way what OS are you using?

Preben

Some links:

 Short Intro I           :  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ada.html
 Short Intro II          :  http://www.adaic.com/whyada/

 Main Ada site           :  http://www.adapower.com/

 Online Ada 95 book      :  http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
 Online Ada 95 book II   :  http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/ada/ada95.pdf
 Short Ada tutorial      :  http://goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au/~dale/ada/aln.html
 A Linux and Ada book    :  http://www.vaxxine.com/pegasoft/homes/book.html
 Other books             :  http://www.adapower.com/learn/
 Ada 95 book reviews     :  http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada95books.html

 ISO Reference Manual    :  http://www.adapower.com/rm95/
 ISO Rational Manual     :  http://www.adapower.com/rationale/
 Quality and Style Guide :  http://www.adaic.com/docs/95style/html/cover.html

 GNU Ada Compiler(GNAT)  :  http://www.gnat.com/
 GNAT for Linux, Dos,
 NetBSD, OS/2, SCO       :  http://www.gnuada.org/
 GNAT for Windows        :  http://home.trouwweb.nl/Jerry/

 GTKAda ToolKit (GTK+)   :  http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/
 GNADE Project           :  http://gnade.sourceforge.net/
 Some software projects  :

   http://freshmeat.net/browse/163/
 and
    http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=163

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2002-09-04 11:10   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-09-04 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 Sep 2002 06:05:10 -0600, Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> In article <3d7594b0_2@corp.newsgroups.com>, "Bill Cunningham" <some.net> writes:
>
>> Is this Ada that help Charles Babbage with his counting machine?
>
> The computer language was not around back then :-), but yes after it
> was developed the language was named in honor of Babbage's coworker,
> Lady Ada Lovelace.  Apparently the originators thought it was a better
> name than STD-454325499638 or "Green".  It isn't easy being "Green".

Wasn't it DoD-1 see http://archive.adaic.com/docs/flyers/naming.html

Preben

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2002-09-04 12:05 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-09-04 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-09-04 12:37   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-09-04 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
:
:> Is this Ada that help Charles Babbage with his counting machine?
:
: No.

No? I though it was her on the "front picture"  on www.adapower.com,

-- georg

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2002-09-04 13:20     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-09-04 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> writes:

> Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> :
> :> Is this Ada that help Charles Babbage with his counting machine?
> :
> : No.
>
> No? I though it was her on the "front picture"  on www.adapower.com,

Well I misunderstood the question :). No Ada was not used by Charles Babbage
but yes Ada Byron, Lady Lovelace (1815-1852) did work with him.

Sorry for the confusion.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2002-09-04 19:01   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-09-04 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> Ada first normalization was on 1983 named Ada83. The second norm was
> from 1995 which is called Ada95 or just Ada at this point.

The first Ada standard was MIL-STD 1815, 1980 Dec, "Ada 80". This was
followed by ANSI/MIL-STD 1815A, 1983 Feb, "Ada 83", which was adopted
unchanged as an ISO standard in 1987. Then came ISO/IEC 8652:1995, 1995
Jan, "Ada 95" or just "Ada". Currently work is under way to create Ada
0X.

"Sons of a silly person."
Monty Python & the Holy Grail

* New to ADA
@ 2002-10-28  6:36 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2002-10-28  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to investigate ada a little I'm used to C and C++. Is ada as
powerful as C++. Does it have inheritance, OOP, classes or something
similar. I know one command with ada 'with'. Is there a compiler for windows
98?
I don't use interpreters.

* Re: New to ADA
@ 2002-10-28  6:47 ` Jim Rogers
From: Jim Rogers @ 2002-10-28  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Cunningham wrote:

> I'd like to investigate ada a little I'm used to C and C++. Is ada as
> powerful as C++. Does it have inheritance, OOP, classes or something
> similar. I know one command with ada 'with'. Is there a compiler for windows
> 98?
> I don't use interpreters.

Yes.

Oh, you probably wanted more details.

Ada is as powerful as C++, even more powerful when you consider that
Ada has built in syntax for concurrency, while C++ does not.

Ada does have inheritance, OOP, and something similar to classes.

I use the GNAT compiler on my Win 98 laptop. It works very well.
Gnat is a compiler in the GNU compiler collection.

I will be immodest enough to suggest an introduction to Ada that I
recently wrote. You can read it at
http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/IntroducingAda.php

This introduction is NOT a full tutorial on Ada. It is merely an introduction
to some of the major Ada features. Other tutorials can be found at
http://www.adapower.com

Jim Rogers

* Re: New to ADA
@ 2002-10-28  7:02   ` Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2002-10-28  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jim Rogers" <jimmaureenrogers@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Bill Cunningham wrote:
>
> > I'd like to investigate ada a little I'm used to C and C++. Is ada as
> > powerful as C++. Does it have inheritance, OOP, classes or something
> > similar. I know one command with ada 'with'. Is there a compiler for
windows
> > 98?
> > I don't use interpreters.
>

> Yes.
>
> Oh, you probably wanted more details.
>
> Ada is as powerful as C++, even more powerful when you consider that
> Ada has built in syntax for concurrency, while C++ does not.
>
> Ada does have inheritance, OOP, and something similar to classes.
>
> I use the GNAT compiler on my Win 98 laptop. It works very well.
> Gnat is a compiler in the GNU compiler collection.
>
> I will be immodest enough to suggest an introduction to Ada that I
> recently wrote. You can read it at
> http://www.crystalcode.com/codemage/MainMenu/Coding/Ada/IntroducingAda.php
>
> This introduction is NOT a full tutorial on Ada. It is merely an
introduction
> to some of the major Ada features. Other tutorials can be found at
> http://www.adapower.com
>
> Jim Rogers

Great thanks..

* Re: New to ADA
@ 2002-10-28 21:20     ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2002-10-28 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Cunningham fed this fish to the penguins on Sunday 27 October 2002
11:02 pm:

> Great thanks..

        After grabbing GNAT, you may also want to grab AdaGIDE

http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

 >   wlfraed@ix.netcom.com  | Wulfraed  Dennis Lee Bieber  KD6MOG <
 >      wulfraed@dm.net     |       Bestiaria Support Staff       <
 >        Bestiaria Home Page: http://www.beastie.dm.net/         <
 >            Home Page: http://www.dm.net/~wulfraed/             <

* Re: New to ADA
@ 2002-10-28 22:22 ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2002-10-28 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-10-28 at 01:36 Bill Cunningham wrote:

>I'd like to investigate ada a little I'm used to C and C++. Is ada as
>powerful as C++.

Well, "Whatever C++ may do, Ada may do it as well". You will find all
modern features in Ada. But Ada has something, that C++ does not have
- built-in concurrency. Its tasking model very strong and allows
to write you sophisticated and powerful concurrent programs
(my favourite Ada feature).

>Does it have inheritance, OOP, classes or something
>similar.

Yes. Adding more - it has also something like templates - generics.

>I know one command with ada 'with'.

So, come on, explore it! I'm sure you will like it.

>Is there a compiler for windows 98?

GNAT:
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/

You may also try ObjectAda from Aonix. It has environment similar to
this from Visual Studio. However, the available special edition allows
to compile no more than 2000 lines of code, but it should be enough,
if you want use it just for learning.

http://www.aonix.com/content/products/forms/oa_win_demo.html

Good like in learning Ada,
   Michal

--   ___        _
--  / _ \      | |                      I Choose Ada:
-- | |_| |  ___| |   _____   The Most Trusted Name in Software (TM)
-- |  _  | | __  |  | __  |
-- |_| |_| |_____|_ |_____|_ http://www.adaic.org/whyada/choose.html

* Re: New to ADA
@ 2002-10-29 10:15   ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2002-10-29 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Cunningham asked:

"Is there a compiler for windows 98?"

Michal Nowak answered:

"GNAT:
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/

You may also try ObjectAda from Aonix. It has environment similar to
this from Visual Studio. However, the available special edition allows
to compile no more than 2000 lines of code, but it should be enough,
if you want use it just for learning.

http://www.aonix.com/content/products/forms/oa_win_demo.html "

There is also a Win32 Ada compiler
from RR Software ( HTTP://WWW.RRsoftware.com/ ).

* New to Ada
@ 2017-09-12  8:42 mig20022000
From: mig20022000 @ 2017-09-12  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello. I am very new to Ada. I come from a C/C++ background and the the free sources that I have found on-line just don't make sense to me.

The way I usually learn new languages is by starting from basic algorithms. usually bubble sort and so on to merge sort using multi-threads.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to write a bubble sort with user input.

I will be more than happy to start a website with detailed tutorial of how to do any of the practices that I do so other people can pick up this amazing language.

Thank you in advance.

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2017-09-12 11:44 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2017-09-12 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

<mig20022000@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. I am very new to Ada. I come from a C/C++ background and the the
> free sources that I have found on-line just don't make sense to me.
>
> The way I usually learn new languages is by starting from basic
> algorithms. usually bubble sort and so on to merge sort using multi-threads.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to write a bubble
> sort with user input.
>
> I will be more than happy to start a website with detailed tutorial of
> how to do any of the practices that I do so other people can pick up this amazing language.
>
> Thank you in advance.

Check John English's Ada Craft book, it's free online.

Don't try to learn Ada like people do with other languages by not using a
book and trying to plug stuff in "that looks like it should work" because
it won't. I think this is one of the problems people have with Ada.

Don't forget to post a link to your blog.

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2017-09-12 12:49   ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2017-09-12 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I posted from my mobile before, here are the links:

http://www.adaic.org/resources/add_content/docs/craft/html/contents.htm

Procedures (for your "main"): http://www.adaic.org/resources/add_content/docs/craft/html/ch04.htm

Arrays: http://www.adaic.org/resources/add_content/docs/craft/html/ch06.htm#6.3

There's even a sorting procedure in ch6.

Then there's the Ada 2012 ref manual: http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/ada12.html

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2017-09-12 14:59 ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2017-09-12 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Like https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Sorting_algorithms/Bubble_sort#Ada ?

> I will be more than happy to start a website with detailed tutorial of
> how to do any of the practices that I do so other people can pick up
> this amazing language.

If you find missing examples on Rosetta, or radically simpler ways of
doing something, Rosetta will probably accept contributions.

-- Brian

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2017-09-12 16:40 ` Johan Söderlind Åström
From: Johan Söderlind Åström @ 2017-09-12 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.adacore.com/adaanswers/gems/archive

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2017-09-12 18:21 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2017-09-12 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/12/2017 10:42 AM, mig20022000@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello. I am very new to Ada. I come from a C/C++ background and the the free sources that I have found on-line just don't make sense to me.

I would recommend you look at /Ada Distilled/.

http://www.adaic.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Ada-Distilled-24-January-2011-Ada-2005-Version.pdf

There are numerous additional resources at

http://www.adaic.org/learn/materials/

"Why don't you bore a hole in yourself and let the sap run out?"
Horse Feathers

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2017-09-14  6:42   ` Petter Fryklund
From: Petter Fryklund @ 2017-09-14  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try to get an copy of any of Cohen's "Ada as a second language" although it has not kept up with newer revisions, but it is great for the basics. Maybe we should ask him to make a new revision.

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2017-09-14 11:52     ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2017-09-14 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 14 September 2017 07:42:39 UTC+1, Petter Fryklund  wrote:
> Try to get an copy of any of Cohen's "Ada as a second language" although it has not kept up with newer revisions, but it is great for the basics. Maybe we should ask him to make a new revision.

I did ask him if he was going to, said he wasn't.

It's not cheap either, might be better to try to get teh publisher with Norman's help to release the sources, it's not like they're printing anymore and won't be making any money on it.

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2017-09-15  5:17       ` Petter Fryklund
From: Petter Fryklund @ 2017-09-15  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I used google and found this:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/31626799_Ada_as_a_Second_Language_N_H_Cohen

I have not tried a download since I am at my customer. Might try it at home later.

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2017-09-15 22:54 ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2017-09-15 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 4:42:34 AM UTC-4, mig20...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello. I am very new to Ada. I come from a C/C++ background and the the free sources that I have found on-line just don't make sense to me.
>
> The way I usually learn new languages is by starting from basic algorithms. usually bubble sort and so on to merge sort using multi-threads.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to write a bubble sort with user input.
>
> I will be more than happy to start a website with detailed tutorial of how to do any of the practices that I do so other people can pick up this amazing language.
>
> Thank you in advance.

There is also Adacore's tutorial/faq
http://www.adacore.com/uploads_gems/Ada_for_the_C++_or_Java_Developer-cc.pdf

* Re: New to Ada
@ 2017-12-23 22:14       ` Yves Cloutier
From: Yves Cloutier @ 2017-12-23 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 7:52:30 AM UTC-4, Lucretia wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 September 2017 07:42:39 UTC+1, Petter Fryklund  wrote:
> > Try to get an copy of any of Cohen's "Ada as a second language" although it has not kept up with newer revisions, but it is great for the basics. Maybe we should ask him to make a new revision.
>
> I did ask him if he was going to, said he wasn't.
>
> It's not cheap either, might be better to try to get teh publisher with Norman's help to release the sources, it's not like they're printing anymore and won't be making any money on it.

I just got one on abebooks for 15$.