* Graphics in Ada
@ 1990-11-10  4:58 Oliver Mullarney
From: Oliver Mullarney @ 1990-11-10  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been out of the Ada world for a while, and am curious as to the status
of GKS, which I used extensively when I worked with Ada. As I recall, GKS
was adopted as the 'official' graphics system for Ada, the main reson being
portability.

Has anything else (Phigs, X etc.) usurped GKS? Does anyone actually use it,
or does everyone doing graphics work write a binding to the native graphics
system for the hardware platform of choice?

  Oliver Mullarney

| Oliver Mullarney     |         "If you're not for the people,              |
| Oracle Corporation   |          you can't buy the people - Lincoln"        |
| omullarn@oracle.com  |                                   Big Boy Caprice   |
 --------------- "Universally acknowledged to work just fine" ----------------

* Graphics in ada
@ 1994-10-15 11:42 Dr Snow
From: Dr Snow @ 1994-10-15 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
	I was wondering how well ada could handel displaying graphics..

eg..
	small logo,
	large text
	small text
	boxes filled and empty.
	and different colours..
	in different windows or pages

	and which version of ada is best for writing this sorta stuff in ?

Thanks in advance

paul

--
Paul Snow

	"Omnia Vincit Amor"

	"The key to imortality is first live a life worth remembering"

* Re: Graphics in ada
@ 1994-10-16  4:07 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1994-10-16  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I was wondering how well Ada could handle displaying graphics.
There's Ada source code using VESA PC graphics on Compuserve,
IBMPRO forum, VESA library in both VESTGA.ZIP and VESDM1.ZIP.
Of course if you just want to display the things Windows has
APIs for, you need merely make the relevant Windows call.  You
haven't mentioned what hardware, OS, or compiler platforms your
questions pertain to.

* Re: Graphics in ada
@ 1994-10-16  5:50 ` Dr Snow
From: Dr Snow @ 1994-10-16  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dr Snow (s9312644@arcadia.cs.rmit.EDU.AU) wrote:

: hi,
: 	I was wondering how well ada could handel displaying graphics..

: eg..
: 	small logo,
: 	large text
: 	small text
: 	boxes filled and empty.
: 	and different colours..
: 	in different windows or pages

: 	and which version of ada is best for writing this sorta stuff in ?

: Thanks in advance

: paul

basically I am looking to write the program on a ms-dos level then later
produce an x-windows or pc-windows..

So at the moment I wat info about ada on a msdos system to produce graphics.

--

@ 1994-10-16  5:50 ` Michael M. Bishop
From: Michael M. Bishop @ 1994-10-16  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37of70$rdf@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>,
Dr Snow <s9312644@arcadia.cs.rmit.EDU.AU> wrote:

>hi,
>	I was wondering how well ada could handel displaying graphics..
>
>eg..
>	small logo,
>	large text
>	small text
>	boxes filled and empty.
>	and different colours..
>	in different windows or pages
>
>	and which version of ada is best for writing this sorta stuff in ?

I assume that when you talk about graphics programming in Ada you mean
that you're going to either use X Windows or a vendor (machine)-specific
graphics package. In either case, you need a binding to that package. If
it's a vendor-specific graphics package you're dealing with, you need to
talk to the vendor. In the case of X Windows, there are several X
Windows bindings packages. I believe that there is at least one
available through ASSET. Also, the Software Engineering Research
Corporation (I think that's what SERC stands for) has an Ada/Motif
bindings package. I use it and I think it's pretty good.

--
| Mike Bishop              | The opinions expressed here reflect    |
| bishopm@source.asset.com | those of this station, its management, |

* Graphics in Ada
@ 1998-04-10  0:00 d97sund
From: d97sund @ 1998-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I wonder what you do if you want to make graphical applications in Ada. Can
you use Ada to make advanced graphical applications? How do I do such simple
things as draw a line and draw a circle for instance? I'm interested in
everything from simple graphics to advanced graphics.

Thank you!

/Mattias

* Re: Graphics in Ada
@ 1998-04-11  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1998-04-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>things as draw a line and draw a circle for instance? I'm interested in
If you are using Claw to run with MS Windows you might choose:
    procedure Line_to(Easel : in Claw.Root_Canvas_Type'Class;
                      Pos   : in Claw.Point_Type);
        -- Draws a line from the current position to Pos with the
        -- current pen.
        -- Raises:
        --      Not_Valid_Error if the canvas object is not valid.
        --      Windows_Error if Windows generates an error.

    procedure Ellipse(Easel : in Claw.Root_Canvas_Type'Class;
                      Rect  : in Claw.Rectangle_Type);
        -- Draws an Ellipse inside of Rect with the current pen,
        -- and filling the interior with the current brush.
        -- Raises:
        --      Not_Valid_Error if the canvas object is not valid.
        --      Windows_Error if Windows generates an error.
If you are running the control systems of a 737 and trying to use
it as a skywriter, I suppose you need to set the control surfaces
differently for straight lines, loops, and circles, but I don't
know the Ada calls in that environment.  (Perhaps you could wait
for Windows CE controlled airliners and then use Claw? #.#)
  What environment did you have in mind?

* Re: Graphics in Ada
@ 1998-04-12  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1998-04-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

d97sund@dtek.chalmers.se wrote:

: I wonder what you do if you want to make graphical applications in Ada. Can
: you use Ada to make advanced graphical applications? How do I do such simple
: things as draw a line and draw a circle for instance? I'm interested in
: everything from simple graphics to advanced graphics.

To do graphics in Ada you actually do the same as using C or C++. Usually
you use a library. Currently there are both native Ada graphics libraries
and bindings to other graphics libraries available on all sorts of platforms
and for most -if not all- Ada compilers

If you need help locating them you should specify which Operating System
and Compiler you are using.

Success,
If you need help locating them you should specify which Operating System
and Compiler you are using.

Success,
Jerry.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
-- Leiden, Holland | member Team-Ada

* Re: Graphics in Ada
@ 1998-04-17  0:00 ` Dr. Joachim Schroeer
From: Dr. Joachim Schroeer @ 1998-04-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d97sund

d97sund@dtek.chalmers.se wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I wonder what you do if you want to make graphical applications in Ada. Can
> you use Ada to make advanced graphical applications? How do I do such simple
> things as draw a line and draw a circle for instance? I'm interested in
> everything from simple graphics to advanced graphics.
>
> Thank you!

For Win95/NT you can use an OpenGL binding.
It is part of the Win32Ada binding and runs with GNAT and ObjectAda.

--

Joachim Schroeer
AMST-Systemtechnik GmbH

* Re: Graphics in Ada
@ 1998-04-17  0:00 ` Jean-Claude MAHIEUX
From: Jean-Claude MAHIEUX @ 1998-04-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

My company has developped a full Ada 83 implementation of Xlib Xt
and Motif libraries. This is called XInAda.
Callbacks are implemented through generic instantiations.
You may use TeleUSE or Uim/X to develop your application.
XInAda is supported on most native (and some others) development
environments.
We also have a full Ada95 implementation that takes a real
advantage of Ada95 features.
\x01
Please have a lokk at http://www.topgraphx.com for more
information or ask by email to sales@topgraphx.com
\x01
Jean-Claude Mahieux, Top Graph'X

--
Jean-Claude Mahieux -Top Graph'X - FRANCE
Tel : (33 1) 69 26 97 88 Fax : (33 1) 69 26 97 89

* Re: Graphics in Ada
@ 1998-04-19  0:00   ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1998-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

     > Please have a lokk at http://www.topgraphx.com for more

Please correct the bad links at www.topgraphx.com. Almost everything
I clicked on returned a missing URL error.

* graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-17  0:00 Dizon L.
From: Dizon L. @ 1999-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm a beginner interested in making graphics programmes in ada. Can someone
tell how should I start? I should have a graphics library first?

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-17  0:00 ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1999-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On what platform?  X-Windows, DOS VESA, MS Windows,...?

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-17  0:00 ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1999-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7afdjo$rh2$1@bw107zhb.bluewin.ch>, "Dizon says...

>I'm a beginner interested in making graphics programmes in ada. Can someone
>tell how should I start? I should have a graphics library first?

sure.  pick the GTK+ binding to Ada.

see my home page for pointer to the GTK+ binding. (search got GTK)

also there is TASH (Ada binding to TCL/TK) for doing graphics.

page at : http://home.pacbell.net/nma123

Nasser

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-17  0:00   ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1999-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7afhbn$ek7@drn.newsguy.com>, nabbasi@pacbell.net says...

>In article <7afdjo$rh2$1@bw107zhb.bluewin.ch>, "Dizon says...
>>
>>I'm a beginner interested in making graphics programmes in ada. Can someone
>>tell how should I start? I should have a graphics library first?

there is also some Xlib, PHIGS and Fresco bindings for doing more
graphics stuff. and offcourse OpenGL bindings.

@ 1999-02-17  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

What machine, OS, and compiler? What type of graphics?

David Botton

@ 1999-02-18  0:00   ` mike
From: mike @ 1999-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<Pine.A41.3.96-heb-2.07.990218083318.134970A-100000@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il>, Ehud
says...

>You dn't say what platform you are working on, so I assume it is Windows.
>I'd suggest getting the newest version of GNAT (3.11) it a free download -
>and contains in all you need - a very good compiler, IDE, and Windows
>bindings.
>
>Ehud Lamm     mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il

GNAT has an IDE and Windows binding??

since when??

Mike

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-18  0:00     ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7ahkov$6d8@drn.newsguy.com>,
  mike@nowhere.com wrote:
> GNAT has an IDE and Windows binding??

As we often note, each new version of GNAT has many new
goodies :-)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

why not check out the latest version and its feature file

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-18  0:00 Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1999-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I'm a beginner interested in making graphics programmes in ada. Can someone
>tell how should I start? I should have a graphics library first?

There are for Windows (adagraph), Linux, bindings to OpenGL, X-window,...

In "my" area (GNAT/DOS - 32-bit DPMI):

vgapck07 - basic VGA
svga02   - basic SVGA - very "pro"; detects linear VESA 2 but uses VESA 1.x as well,
           drawing in buffers, fast, reliable!
graph    - multi-device layer (-> slower) for SVGA, VGA, PostScript, EPSF, DXF;
           pixel coordinates & floating-point definable areas, vectorial fonts,
           supersets Borland/Turbo Pascal's version,... and not fully complete

The 3 come with complete sources.
The 2 first come with ez2load gnat/dos pack;
for the last one see my "software" page...

--
Gautier

--------
Homepage: http://www.unine.ch/math/Personnel/Assistants/Gautier/Montmollin.html
Software: http://www.unine.ch/math/Personnel/Assistants/Gautier/Gaut_FTP.htm

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-18  0:00   ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <36cb457e.5602575@news.pacbell.net>,
  tmoran@bix.com (Tom Moran) wrote:
> On what platform?  X-Windows, DOS VESA, MS Windows,...?

The nice thing about suggesting a solution like GTK, as
in the previous message is that the answer to this question
is irrelevant :-)

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-18  0:00     ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 1999-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 02:43:02 GMT, robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <36cb457e.5602575@news.pacbell.net>,
>   tmoran@bix.com (Tom Moran) wrote:
> > On what platform?  X-Windows, DOS VESA, MS Windows,...?
>
> The nice thing about suggesting a solution like GTK, as
> in the previous message is that the answer to this question
> is irrelevant :-)

.. eventually, we hope ;-)

- Ed

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-18  0:00 ` Corey Minyard
From: Corey Minyard @ 1999-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dizon L." <dizon@bluewin.ch> writes:

> I'm a beginner interested in making graphics programmes in ada. Can someone
> tell how should I start? I should have a graphics library first?

I've used Ada/Tk and it works pretty well.  You do have to learn Tk if
you don't know it, though.

--
Corey Minyard                   Internet:  minyard@acm.org
  Work: minyard@nortelnetworks.com  UUCP:  minyard@wf-rch.cirr.com

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-18  0:00     ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1999-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> On what platform?  X-Windows, DOS VESA, MS Windows,...?

>The nice thing about suggesting a solution like GTK, as
>in the previous message is that the answer to this question
>is irrelevant :-)
It appears from following
>sure.  pick the GTK+ binding to Ada.

>see my home page for pointer to the GTK+ binding. (search got GTK)

>also there is TASH (Ada binding to TCL/TK) for doing graphics.

>page at : http://home.pacbell.net/nma123
that a beta version is available for X-Windows, an alpha version for
MS_Windows, and I didn't see any version for DOS VESA.   So it seems
>.. eventually, we hope ;-)
is apropos.

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 1999-02-18  0:00 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 1999-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-02-19  0:00       ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1999-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> GNAT has an IDE and Windows binding??

>As we often note, each new version of GNAT has many new
>goodies :-)
Does that mean something different than Martin Carlisle's AdaGIDE and
the Windows bindings available with 3.10?
  I think I remember when installing 3.11 that it says it's illegal to
use the Windows bindings unless you have permission from Microsoft,
and I don't seem to find rc.exe, which of course is required to use
Windows Resource files.  Do the docs suggest people just download the
free ObjectAda compiler to get the permissions and the resource
capabilities?  Did I miss something?

* Graphics in ADA
@ 1999-03-03  0:00 William E. Huttemann Jr.
From: William E. Huttemann Jr. @ 1999-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know how to implement VGA graphics in ADA? I am a new ADA
programmer and I am learning from a book by John English called "ada 95 -
The craft of object oriented programming". The book states nothing about
graphics programming. I'm assuming you have to write your own packages to
access the graphics memory of the computer. But, alas, I also cannot find
any information on how to access memory locations in ADA. One last thing -
according to information I've read concerning ADA, it's possible to
interface with other languages (such as C) and make use of their libraries.
Is this correct? Any information would be appreciated.

Bill Huttemann

* Re: Graphics in ADA
@ 1999-03-03  0:00 ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1999-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Does anyone know how to implement VGA graphics in ADA?
In 16 bit DOS, 32 bit DOS, Windows xxx? Try
http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk
>access the graphics memory of the computer. But, alas, I also cannot find
>any information on how to access memory locations in ADA.
You need an address representation clause, eg,
  CRT : array(0 .. 479, 0 .. 639) of Pixels;
  for CRT'address use (segment=>16#A000#, offset=>0);
(This address clause is from memory for 16 bit DOS, Other OSes have
different memory structures, of course.)  There's also the little
matter of doing IO operations to the graphics card, which will involve
calling something like Output(Port=>16#3F8#, Value=>16#81#), depending
on what your compiler vendor has supplied in the library, or doing
calls to the BIOS, again dependent on your vendor supplied library.
If you actually need 16 bit DOS routines, and have access to
Compuserve (now part of AOL), look in the VESA section - there's a
(very old) Ada 83 driver and example programs.  If you are running on
Windows, the whole style of graphics is different.

* Re: Graphics in ADA
@ 1999-03-03  0:00 ` Jon Hough
From: Jon Hough @ 1999-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

HI

I  ,too, am new to  the ADA programming world as well. Unfortunatly I do not
have answer for your question. SO how can I help and why have I replied? Well
I  think a good person for you  to ask and  answer your question and/or provide

direction for you is probably John English himself. John English taught me C++
last year at Uni  and I am sure he would be happy to help- Especialy as you
have purchased a copy of his book! Here is his E-mail address

J.English@brighton.ac.uk

Hope this helps

Jonathan Hough

William E. Huttemann Jr. wrote:

> Does anyone know how to implement VGA graphics in ADA? I am a new ADA
> programmer and I am learning from a book by John English called "ada 95 -
> The craft of object oriented programming". The book states nothing about
> graphics programming. I'm assuming you have to write your own packages to
> access the graphics memory of the computer. But, alas, I also cannot find
> any information on how to access memory locations in ADA. One last thing -
> according to information I've read concerning ADA, it's possible to
> interface with other languages (such as C) and make use of their libraries.
> Is this correct? Any information would be appreciated.
>
> Bill Huttemann

* Re: Graphics in ADA
@ 1999-03-03  0:00 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1999-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William E. Huttemann Jr.

> Does anyone know how to implement VGA graphics in ADA?

VGA:  http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/cgi-bin/search?form=normal&query=vgapck07
SVGA: http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/cgi-bin/search?form=normal&query=svga02

(from "EZ2LOAD" GNAT/DOS distribution)

G.

* Re: Graphics in ADA
@ 1999-03-03  0:00 ` John English
From: John English @ 1999-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anyone know how to implement VGA graphics in ADA? I am a new ADA
> programmer and I am learning from a book by John English called "ada 95 -
> The craft of object oriented programming". The book states nothing about
> graphics programming.

Unfortunately this is very system dependent (and I wouldn't like to be
parochial and risk offending Mike Feldman by describing PC graphics in
excruciating detail ;-), and I don't think you'll find any Ada book that
will tell you anything specific about graphics programming.  As the book
was already hitting the 500 page mark I left out anything vaguely system
dependent, as noted in chapter 20: in this case representation clauses
and packages like System and Interfaces.C.

Since you talk about "VGA graphics", would I be correct in assuming
you're talking about MS-DOS? If so, try this URL:

  http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/software/libs/

In this lot is a copy of vgapck05.zip, which is a copy of Jerry van
Dijk's VGA package for MS-DOS, and svga01.zip, his SVGA package.

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: Graphics in ADA
@ 1999-03-03  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

William E. Huttemann Jr. (huttemannw@hotmail.com) wrote:

: Does anyone know how to implement VGA graphics in ADA?

Yes. :-)

More helpful:

1) VGA graphics usually mean using DOS. If you are using the GNAT compiler
   on DOS, it comes with both a standard VGA graphics packages and a
   SVGA (VESA/VBE) based package.

2) If you are using a form of windows, AdaGraph is quite easy to use for
   basic graphics. It is available for both GNAT and ObjectAda.

3) If you are using Linux, there is a package for using vgalib from Ada.
   A X-based version of AdaGraph is underway.

All of the above can be found on my homepage.

Alternatives are to use a binding to one of the many portable graphics
libraries such as Gtk, Tcl/Tk, OpenGl/Mesa with GLUT, etc. However, as
a beginner I would advice using one of the easier to use native packages.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org

* graphics in ADA
@ 2001-10-24 10:07 Phosphorus
From: Phosphorus @ 2001-10-24 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to obtain a graphic representation of a matrix of colours, can
somenoe tell me  wich is the way to obtain it?
Tank you for your help
Phosphorus .

* Re: graphics in ADA
@ 2001-10-24 11:38 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-10-24 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:07:27 +0200, Phosphorus wrote:
> I'd like to obtain a graphic representation of a matrix of colours, can
> somenoe tell me  wich is the way to obtain it?

Gtkada. See www.adapower.com

Preben

* Re: graphics in ADA
@ 2001-10-24 19:54 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2001-10-24 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I'd like to obtain a graphic representation of a matrix of colours, can
>somenoe tell me  wich is the way to obtain it?
  One easy way in Windows is via a Color choice Dialog box.  In Claw,
see Claw.Dialog.Color

* Re: graphics in ADA
@ 2001-10-26 10:51   ` garilla
From: garilla @ 2001-10-26 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

gg
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:38:11 +0000 (UTC), Preben Randhol
<randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:07:27 +0200, Phosphorus wrote:
>> I'd like to obtain a graphic representation of a matrix of colours, can
>> somenoe tell me  wich is the way to obtain it?
>
>Gtkada. See www.adapower.com
>
>Preben

* Re: graphics in ADA
@ 2001-10-26 11:40     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-10-26 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:51:40 GMT, garilla wrote:
> gg

what does gg mean?

Preben

* Re: graphics in ADA
@ 2001-10-26 14:19       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-10-26 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrn9tiq96.2ta.randhol+abuse@kiuk0156.chembio.ntnu.no>, Preben
Randhol says...

>On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:51:40 GMT, garilla wrote:
>> gg
>
>what does gg mean?

Perhaps he was being attacked while he typed?

---

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* graphics in ada
@ 2003-10-07 20:03 Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2003-10-07 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I was taking ada cources in college (Ada88 if i remember correctly)
my professor said that graphics were not possible in Ada.  Has this
changed? If so to what degree?
Can I create a program, in ada, that will open a window have the
backround be black, and have it draw a maze where the walls of the maze
are just thin blue lines (2 or 3 pixels thick) .. obviously nothing
fancy or 3d generated..
is this possible in ada?

I have been doing some googling and am getting kind of mixed signals on
the answer.

Thanks for any help
Andrew

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 2003-10-07 20:15   ` Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2003-10-07 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

chris wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> When I was taking ada cources in college (Ada88 if i remember
>> correctly) my professor said that graphics were not possible in Ada.
>> Has this changed? If so to what degree?
>> Can I create a program, in ada, that will open a window have the
>> backround be black, and have it draw a maze where the walls of the
>> maze are just thin blue lines (2 or 3 pixels thick) .. obviously
>> nothing fancy or 3d generated..
>> is this possible in ada?
>

> OpenGL good enough for you?  adaopengl.sf.net ;)
>
> There's also adagraph and jewl for windows.  GWindows supports drawing
> too, and maybe Claw. Gtkada supports drawing on Linux & windows (general
> Unices?).
>
> Oh and there's a 3d engine by someone somewhere (forget name sorry :( ).
>  I think it's DOS/Allegro based but I can't remember!

thank you
I think I'll go with GTkada .. that way I have support in linux and
windwos and *g* I think gtkada is already loaded on my redhat 9 comp.

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 2003-10-07 20:17 ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-10-07 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-10-07 22:20     ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2003-10-07 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:15:22 -0500, Andrew <eagletalon@chartermi.net>
wrote:

> I think I'll go with GTkada .. that way I have support in linux and
> windwos and *g* I think gtkada is already loaded on my redhat 9 comp.

It also supports OpenGL drawing areas, should you need it.

- Ed

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 2003-10-08  1:21 ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2003-10-08  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew" <eagletalon@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> When I was taking ada cources in college (Ada88 if i remember correctly)
> my professor said that graphics were not possible in Ada.  Has this
> changed? If so to what degree?

Note that this was always somewhat of false statement since you could always
bind to other
languages. It may not have always been easy but it was always possible.

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 2003-10-08  1:22 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2003-10-08  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Given that Ada - like most programming languages - is capable of
generating any permutation of bits in memory that you'd care to imagine,
how is it "not possible" to do graphics in Ada?

If the question is "Does Ada have a built-in graphics library of some
sort?" then the answer is "No, there is no standard graphics library..."
  But you probably could find some non-standard graphics libraries out
there in Ada or interface to other libraries provided on your machine.
(The latter being a lousy answer.) So I guess basically its a case of
"Roll Your Own" or go with some language that has it built-in.

MDC

Andrew wrote:
> When I was taking ada cources in college (Ada88 if i remember correctly)
> my professor said that graphics were not possible in Ada.  Has this
> changed? If so to what degree?
> Can I create a program, in ada, that will open a window have the
> backround be black, and have it draw a maze where the walls of the maze
> are just thin blue lines (2 or 3 pixels thick) .. obviously nothing
> fancy or 3d generated..
> is this possible in ada?
>
> I have been doing some googling and am getting kind of mixed signals on
> the answer.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Andrew

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

     "All reformers, however strict their social conscience,
      live in houses just as big as they can pay for."

          --Logan Pearsall Smith

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 2003-10-08  2:08   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2003-10-08  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> my professor said that graphics were not possible in Ada.  Has this
  I guess the video editor I built in DOS with Ada 83 in 1992 must
have not been possible.  Or the teleprompter that I posted on Compuserve.
Sigh.

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 2003-10-08  4:30 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2003-10-08  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew" <eagletalon@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> When I was taking ada cources in college (Ada88 if i remember correctly)
> my professor said that graphics were not possible in Ada.  Has this
> changed? If so to what degree?

I would say that either your professor was not educated in computer science,
or (more likely) you misinterpreted his answer.  Perhaps the Ada
installation you had on your computer system did not provide graphics
library interfaces for Ada, but this does not mean it is not possible to do
so.

Ada 95 makes life much easier since provision is included for interfacing
with libraries written in or for other programming languages.

Steve
(The Duck)

> Can I create a program, in ada, that will open a window have the
> backround be black, and have it draw a maze where the walls of the maze
> are just thin blue lines (2 or 3 pixels thick) .. obviously nothing
> fancy or 3d generated..
> is this possible in ada?
>
> I have been doing some googling and am getting kind of mixed signals on
> the answer.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Andrew

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 2003-10-08  5:19 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-10-08  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew wrote:
> When I was taking ada cources in college (Ada88 if i remember correctly)
> my professor said that graphics were not possible in Ada.  Has this
> changed? If so to what degree?

I wrote packages to do graphics under DOS in Ada in the late 1980s and
early 1990s, so either your professor didn't know what he was talking
about (not uncommon where Ada was concerned) or you misunderstood him. I
worked on one project in which the SW was developed on a Unix machine
for a DOS target, and the terminals we used on the Unix machine didn't
have graphics capabilities, so we were unable to include graphics in the
SW. The project manager interpreted this as "you can't do graphics in
Ada," but he was just stupid.

For very simple graphics under Win32, you can use AdaGraph, in addition
to the other fine libraries mentioned in this thread.

"Sheriff murdered, crops burned, stores looted,
people stampeded, and cattle raped."
Blazing Saddles

* Re: graphics in ada
@ 2003-10-09 17:50 ` Patrice Freydiere
From: Patrice Freydiere @ 2003-10-09 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

most of the times, things are possible,
but it's question of time .....

Patrice

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:03:16 +0000, Andrew wrote:

> When I was taking ada cources in college (Ada88 if i remember correctly)
> my professor said that graphics were not possible in Ada.  Has this
> changed? If so to what degree?
> Can I create a program, in ada, that will open a window have the
> backround be black, and have it draw a maze where the walls of the maze
> are just thin blue lines (2 or 3 pixels thick) .. obviously nothing
> fancy or 3d generated..
> is this possible in ada?
>
> I have been doing some googling and am getting kind of mixed signals on
> the answer.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Andrew

* Re: graphics in ada