From: dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller)
Subject: Re: ADA compiler on Mac?
Date: 18 Oct 1994 15:48:36 -0500
Date: 1994-10-18T15:48:36-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <1994Oct18.175809.26163@nosc.mil>,
Beth Walker <bwalker@nosc.mil> wrote:
>evans@evans.pgh.pa.us (Arthur Evans Jr) writes:
>
>Well, I sent email to them, and got a very prompt reply.  However,
>Mac users will not be happy with the answer.  Bottom line -- the
>Mac compiler will not be upgraded.  Reason:  they also acquired the
>Verdix VADS compiler, and this is the product they will be pursuing.
>They will be producing a Windows NT version for the PC market.  They
>will not be supporting DOS, Mac, or the original Windows.
>
>All of this is driven by their bottom line.  As for Mac, there is
>not a big enough market for them to expend resources. In fact, the
>person I talked to said that Meridian had approached Apple to help
>fund further development of the Mac compiler.  Apple turned them
>down - not enough potential for return on investment.
>
>Looks like Ada/Ed will be it for MacIntosh folks.  There will be
>NO commercial Ada compiler for the Mac.

DOn't give up hope.  The Academic Development Environment contract,
which was SUPPOSED TO BE AWARDED SIX MONTH AGO (ok, enough sour
grapes), requires the contractor build a development environment
around an Ada 9X compiler for three platforms: OS/2, Windows NT, and
the Mac.  Now, if I were a betting man, I'd liberally interpret the
_actual_ results as: OS/2 Warp, Windows95, and Mac System 7.5.  The
resulting product will be made available to all for no more than $50
per copy.

Of course, that's assuming a little office in New Mexico ever decides
to take action.  As it is, this six month delay has robbed you of an
opportunity to try out an Ada 9X Mac product _today_.

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
   	      Ada -- Very Cool.  Doesn't Suck.               ||  father's Ada