From: Qualcomm.com (Hotline Support Team)
Subject: Re: ADA compiler on Mac?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 17:27:45 -0700
Date: 1994-10-18T17:27:45-07:00	[thread overview]

In article <Oct18.063909.104306@acs.ucalgary.ca>, chinsch@acs.ucalgary.ca
(Yingwu Fang) wrote:

> Dear Netters,
>
> Does anyone know if there is an ADA compiler on Mac (system 7)
> out there?

Alright, already!  I can't stand the pain!

I helped develop TeleSoft's TeleGen2 A/UX Ada compiler.  After that, I
ported it all to System 7 and it worked VERY nice.  It can be done, it
wouldn't be sold.  Why?  Same reasons as mentioned in this string -
business, money, politics, etc.

I've spent a few years trying to figure out how to get a real Ada on the
Mac.

I don't know that it's Apple's, the compiler vendor's or the user base's
single responsibility to make this happen.  Nobody seems to want to make a
serious effort to make this happen.  I've given a lot of credit to Michael
Feldman for making the best effort to date to generate an Ada/Mac
following.  GNAT seems like a promising star also.

With Apple's commitment to PowerPC, you'll almost have to go with a GNAT.
I believe that it would take a good chunk of effort to port Meridian's
approach there (plus move it towards 9x).  Also, Ada compiler efforts (that
I'm aware of) towards PowerPC platforms are weak and first generation (or
depend heavily on an existing quality C compiler).  We'll see (I'm not a
PowerPC fan).

Whatever happens, it's just a shame that what we'll end up with is what I
already had - a great compiler that generated great code on a great
platform :-(

(These opinions are my own and rooted in deep respect for the old TeleSoft.
 Unfortunately, in my new job, I've been swallowed up by the monster of C++
(Greg will have fun with that comment) and don't get to spend much time
with Ada - though I do keep in touch!)

Cheers!

Mark Muri
QUALCOMM, Inc