From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Ada replacements for DOS I/O
Date: 3 Nov 1994 06:23:54 -0500
Date: 1994-11-03T06:23:54-05:00	[thread overview]

Mark says:

"Yes, but lets be clear what burned him.  Not Alsys Ada, but making
assumptions about MS-DOS's capabilities!"

no, that's not really right. even if you are using a wonderful multi-threaded
operating system with fully overlapped I/O, you cannot assume that an Ada
compiler will give access to this capability. THere is no requirement for
how Ada tasks map to an operating system, this is an implementation
dependent choice.

Even with an operating system with multiple-threads, it may make perfectly
good sense to map all Ada tasks to a single thread if tasking performance
is more important than I/O overlap.

So the moral is, don't make *any* assumptions about how Ada tasks will map
to an OS, ASK!