* book
@ 1999-04-25  0:00 Jake
From: Jake @ 1999-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I was wondering if anyone can point me towards a good book to learn how to
program ada

thanks jake

* Re: book
@ 1999-04-25  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jake

You can find a list of good Ada books, descriptions, links to the
publishers, and a free service to search through 40 on-line booksellers
and report the lowest available prices on the Ada Source Code Treasury
book section:

http://www.botton.com/ada/books

David Botton

Jake wrote:

>  I was wondering if anyone can point me towards a good book to learn how to
> program ada
>
> thanks jake

* Re: book
@ 1999-04-26  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-04-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jake" <yazzie@atlantic.net> writes:

>  I was wondering if anyone can point me towards a good book to learn how to
> program ada

Programming in Ada95, 2nd ed
by John Barnes

* book
@ 2001-09-17 14:34 Thomas SMETS
From: Thomas SMETS @ 2001-09-17 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I've been on www.bn.com (Barnes & Nobles) to look for a good ADA book.
They all seem decent but I've no idea which I should choose from the
list
http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=ada+programming&userid=1958UYY04J

Would some one have tip for me ?
I'm working most of my time on the following OSes (Linux : MDK or Slack,
WinNT).

Tx for hints & no controverse !

Thomas,

* Re: book
@ 2001-09-17 15:53 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-09-17 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

You will find lots of book resources at: http://www.adapower.com/

There are descriptions and links there for a variety of books. Check it out.

A favorite of mine for a "get started in Ada quickly" book is "Ada
Essential: Overview, Examples and Glossary" which is bookmarked at Adapower.
(For your convenience: http://www.learnada.com/)

For a more in-depth view, I rather like: "Programming in Ada 95" by John
Barnes, but many others have recommended "Ada as a Second Language" by Norm
Cohen. (Sorry. Never read that one.) Both have good reputations as good,
general-purpose texts.

Other books you can investigate at AdaPower may deal with Ada from the
perspective of a special interest (OOP, Realtime, etc.). Look over the
bibliography to see what might best suit your needs.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

"Thomas SMETS" <tsmets_AT@_altern_DOT._org> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I've been on www.bn.com (Barnes & Nobles) to look for a good ADA book.
> They all seem decent but I've no idea which I should choose from the
> list

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=ada+programming&us
erid=1958UYY04J

> Would some one have tip for me ?
> I'm working most of my time on the following OSes (Linux : MDK or Slack,
> WinNT).
>
> Tx for hints & no controverse !
>
> Thomas,

* Re: book
@ 2001-09-17 16:01 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2001-09-17 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

It is more about your style and level of learning. Your platform doesn't
matter much, Ada is not compiler/platform dependant as all implementations
tend to provide the standard as a minimum (that should be refreshing if you
have C++ experience :-)

You can find information about books at:

http://www.adapower.com/books

Reviews at:

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada95books.html

On line resources in general at:

http://www.adapower.com

Reference material at:

http://www.adapower.com/ref

As for platform specific information:

I suggest starting with:

http://www.gnuada.org for Linux compiler and links to resources for Linux

http://www.adapower.com/windows for links to various Windows bindings

David Botton

"Thomas SMETS" <tsmets_AT@_altern_DOT._org> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I've been on www.bn.com (Barnes & Nobles) to look for a good ADA book.
> They all seem decent but I've no idea which I should choose from the
> list

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=ada+programming&us
erid=1958UYY04J

> Would some one have tip for me ?
> I'm working most of my time on the following OSes (Linux : MDK or Slack,
> WinNT).
>
> Tx for hints & no controverse !
>
> Thomas,

* Re: book
@ 2001-09-17 16:07 ` Darren New
From: Darren New @ 2001-09-17 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Tx for hints & no controverse !

I really liked "Ada as a Second Language."  Very well organized. Very
useful if you already know C++, COBOL, and/or Fortran 9x. Well-indexed
as well. Extremely dense, in the sense that as you get farther into it,
it may take several long seconds to figure out what a single sentence
means, since if you haven't internalized all the Ada terminology, you
have to translate from "classwide typess with derived types containing
unconstrained arrays with limited components ..." to what that actually
means in English. :-)

It is not specific to any particular OS or compiler, however. (Which may
be good or bad, depending on your needs.)

--
Darren New
                   Who is this Dr. Ibid anyway,