* Workshop on Exception Handling at ECOOP 2003
@ 2003-01-28  8:53 Alexander Romanovsky
From: Alexander Romanovsky @ 2003-01-28  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ehoos

Workshop
    Exception Handling in Object Oriented Systems:
    towards Emerging Application Areas and New Programming Paradigms

ECOOP 2003
Darmstadt, Germany, July 21-25

Call for Papers

There are two trends in the development of modern object oriented
systems: they are getting more complex and they have to cope with an
increasing number of exceptional situations. The most general way of
dealing with these problems is by employing exception handling
techniques. Many object oriented mechanisms for handling exceptions
have been proposed but there still are serious problems in applying
them in practice. These are caused by complexity of exception code
design and analysis, by not addressing exception handling at the
appropriate phases of system development, by lack of methodologies
supporting the proper use of exception handling and by not developing
specific mechanisms suitable for particular application domains and
design paradigms.

Following the success of ECOOP 2000 workshop, this workshop aims at
achieving better understanding of how exceptions should be handled in
object oriented systems, including all aspects of software design and
use: novel linguistic mechanisms, design and programming practices,
advanced formal methods, etc.

The workshop will provide a forum for discussing the unique
requirements for exception handling in the existing and emerging
applications, including pervasive computing, ambient intelligence,
the Internet, e-science, self-repairing systems, collaboration
environments. We invite submissions on research in all areas of
exception handling related to object oriented systems, in particular:
formalisation, distributed and concurrent systems, practical
experience, mobile object systems, new paradigms (e.g. object
oriented workflows, transactions, multithreaded programs), design
patterns and frameworks, practical languages (Java, Ada 95,
Smalltalk, Beta), open software architectures, aspect oriented
programming, fault tolerance, component-based technologies.

We encourage participants to report their experiences of both
benefits and obstacles in using exception handling, reporting,
practical results in using advanced exception handling models and the
best practice in applying exception handling for developing modern
applications in the existing practical settings.

We intend to discuss the problem of perceived complexity in using and
understanding exception handling: why do programmers and
practitioners often believe that it complicates system design and
analysis? What should be done to improve the situation? Why is
exception handling the last mechanism to learn and to use? What is
wrong with the current practice and teaching?

We are interested in position papers analysing the question of why
the exception handling mechanisms available in earlier object
oriented languages are not widely used now.

To participate in the workshop, the prospective attendees are
required to submit 4-7 page position papers (in the LNCS format) to
Alexander Romanovsky (alexander.romanovsky@ncl.ac.uk) by April 25.
The authors of the accepted papers will be notified by May 17.

Additional information can be found on the workshop web page:
http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~alexander.romanovsky/home.formal/ehoos2003.html

Workshop organisers:

Alexander Romanovsky (University of Newcastle upon Tyne)
email: alexander.romanovsky@ncl.ac.uk

Christophe Dony (Université Montpellier-II)
email: dony@lirmm.fr

Jørgen Lindskov Knudsen (Mjølner Informatics A/S)
email: jlk@mjolner.dk

Anand Tripathi (University of Minnesota)
email: tripathi@cs.umn.edu

* Re: Workshop on Exception Handling at ECOOP 2003
@ 2003-01-29  5:25 ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2003-01-29  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada mail to news gateway

Alexander Romanovsky wrote:

> Workshop
>     Exception Handling in Object Oriented Systems:
>     towards Emerging Application Areas and New Programming Paradigms

Someone might want to take a look at the column I wrote several years
ago for Journal of Object-Oriented Programming titled,

             "A Software Circuit Breaker"

In this column, I compared exception handling to the concept of fuses
and circuit-breakers in the world of electrical design.

I am considering updating the column and turning it into a paper, somewhat
more rigorously written.   Does this idea appeal to anyone?  Would it make
a good paper?

In the original version, I focused on Ada.   In the newer version, I should
probably broaden the vision a little and include commentary on how this
is represented in a few other languages.

Richard Riehle

* Re: Workshop on Exception Handling at ECOOP 2003
@ 2003-01-29 15:39   ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2003-01-29 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Riehle wrote:

> Someone might want to take a look at the column I wrote several years
> ago for Journal of Object-Oriented Programming titled,
>
>              "A Software Circuit Breaker"
>
> In this column, I compared exception handling to the concept of fuses
> and circuit-breakers in the world of electrical design.
>
> I am considering updating the column and turning it into a paper, somewhat
> more rigorously written.   Does this idea appeal to anyone?  Would it make
> a good paper?
>
> In the original version, I focused on Ada.   In the newer version, I should
> probably broaden the vision a little and include commentary on how this
> is represented in a few other languages.
>
> Richard Riehle

Richard,

Is this article available on-line anywhere?  I would think a follow up would be

well received.  I would certainly be interested.

Jerry

-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, &
Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply

* Re: Workshop on Exception Handling at ECOOP 2003
@ 2003-01-29 18:25   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-01-29 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Riehle wrote:
> Someone might want to take a look at the column I wrote several years
> ago for Journal of Object-Oriented Programming titled,
>
>              "A Software Circuit Breaker"
>
> In this column, I compared exception handling to the concept of fuses
> and circuit-breakers in the world of electrical design.
>
> I am considering updating the column and turning it into a paper, somewhat
> more rigorously written.   Does this idea appeal to anyone?  Would it make
> a good paper?
>
> In the original version, I focused on Ada.   In the newer version, I should
> probably broaden the vision a little and include commentary on how this
> is represented in a few other languages.

Go for it. There needs to be someone at the conference who knows why
integrated exception handling is better than adding an additional level
of statement nesting with a "try" statement.

"When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely
turned his tail and fled."
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

* Re: Workshop on Exception Handling at ECOOP 2003
@ 2003-02-01  7:51     ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2003-02-01  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry Petrey wrote:

> Richard Riehle wrote:
>
> > Someone might want to take a look at the column I wrote several years
> > ago for Journal of Object-Oriented Programming titled,
> >
> >              "A Software Circuit Breaker"
>

> Is this article available on-line anywhere?  I would think a follow up would be
>
> well received.  I would certainly be interested.

I don't know if the old JOOP articles are still on-line.  JOOP has vanished,
and I'm not sure if anyone owns the copyright to its articles.

Richard Riehle