* embedding text in executables??
@ 2003-03-18 19:06 B0966864
From: B0966864 @ 2003-03-18 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am looking for a way to embed a proprietary rights header at the top
of the executable when viewed with a basic text editor. I can get it
into the data section of the file but it needs to be at or near the
beginning so it is immediately visible. Anyone have any ideas or
experience in this? Environment Ada95, GHS Adamulti2000v3.5

thanks jc

* Re: embedding text in executables??
@ 2003-03-19  4:54 ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2003-03-19  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

What operating system, what executable module format?

@ 2003-03-19  8:15 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-03-19  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"B0966864" <B0966864@boeing.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for a way to embed a proprietary rights header at the top
> of the executable when viewed with a basic text editor. I can get it
> into the data section of the file but it needs to be at or near the
> beginning so it is immediately visible. Anyone have any ideas or
> experience in this? Environment Ada95, GHS Adamulti2000v3.5

Have you asked Green Hills?

* Re: embedding text in executables??
@ 2003-03-19 12:17   ` B0966864
From: B0966864 @ 2003-03-19 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I just got the reply late yesterday. They thought it was an
interesting question but offered little help after that. Said they can't
do it.

VxWorks 5.4.2  ELF file format.

Jerico

@ 2003-03-19 12:54 ` SIMON Claude
From: SIMON Claude @ 2003-03-19 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

B0966864 wrote:

> I am looking for a way to embed a proprietary rights header at the top
> of the executable when viewed with a basic text editor. I can get it
> into the data section of the file but it needs to be at or near the
> beginning so it is immediately visible. Anyone have any ideas or
> experience in this? Environment Ada95, GHS Adamulti2000v3.5
>
> thanks jc

Put the header just after a key. Search the key ...

Claude SIMON

* Re: embedding text in executables??
@ 2003-03-20  1:14     ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2003-03-20  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, http://devrsrc1.external.hp.com/STK/partner/elf-64-hp.pdf describes an
extension to the ELF format, refers back to the original ELF format, and
describes a NOTE section type that can probably be corrupted to do what you
want to do.

You'll probably have to build a special-purpose tool to insert your
proprietary rights header into an ELF module.

@ 2003-03-20 21:26 ` Wojtek Narczynski
From: Wojtek Narczynski @ 2003-03-20 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

B0966864 <B0966864@boeing.com> wrote in message news:<3E776E2F.A99F7BA@boeing.com>...
> I am looking for a way to embed a proprietary rights header at the top
> of the executable when viewed with a basic text editor. I can get it
> into the data section of the file but it needs to be at or near the
> beginning so it is immediately visible. Anyone have any ideas or
> experience in this? Environment Ada95, GHS Adamulti2000v3.5

In ELF you can have any number of sections with arbirtary names that
don't need to be unique, mean also 'copyright' section at 1st
position. No .dot means that this is user section as opposed to
.system sections. Nothing prevents you from putting it as the first
section. (I believe that using note section of the program header may
not be the correct approach.)

The objcopy utility from the the gnu binutils, will let you add a
section, but I am not aware of any existing utility to reorder the
sections other than using the binutils library programmatically.

From your email's domain I reason that you have all the resources to
do it yourselves, should I be mistaken - contact me off the list ;-)

Regards,
Wojtek Narczynski