* Gnat-Glade 3.2
@ 2003-04-01 15:20 Tony Gair
From: Tony Gair @ 2003-04-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Having foolishly upgraded to SUSE 8.1 on impulse, I am now having to
use gnat 3.2. Whilst this works fine so far there is no gnat-glade rpm
or gnat-glade 3.2 version. Apparently this is due to a new version of
gcc being used in SUSE 8.1

Is there a source of gnat-glade available I can compile and install ?

Is there someone out there busy at work making gnat-glade 3.2?

* Re: Gnat-Glade 3.2
@ 2003-04-01 15:30 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-04-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tony Gair wrote:
> Having foolishly upgraded to SUSE 8.1 on impulse, I am now having to
> use gnat 3.2. Whilst this works fine so far there is no gnat-glade rpm
> or gnat-glade 3.2 version. Apparently this is due to a new version of
> gcc being used in SUSE 8.1
>
> Is there a source of gnat-glade available I can compile and install ?
>
> Is there someone out there busy at work making gnat-glade 3.2?

Don't know, But why don't you simply downgrade to Gnat 3.15 (or 3.14) ?

* Re: Gnat-Glade 3.2
@ 2003-04-02 10:56   ` Tony Gair
From: Tony Gair @ 2003-04-02 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Don't know, But why don't you simply downgrade to Gnat 3.15 (or 3.14) ?

The new SUSE 8.1 has very supportive features of Gnat including the
emacs adamode etc and Gtkada. And I love the new Gnome on it. The
gtkglade 2.0 has no ada mode be warned.

The version of GCC is apparently breaks the compatability of 3.15 and
314 I have heard.

IF they had ported or waited for gnat-glade 3.2 I would highly
recommend it.

* Re: Gnat-Glade 3.2
@ 2003-04-02 17:00 ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2003-04-02 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tony Gair wrote:
> Having foolishly upgraded to SUSE 8.1 on impulse, I am now having to
> use gnat 3.2. Whilst this works fine so far there is no gnat-glade rpm
> or gnat-glade 3.2 version. Apparently this is due to a new version of
> gcc being used in SUSE 8.1
>
> Is there a source of gnat-glade available I can compile and install ?
>
> Is there someone out there busy at work making gnat-glade 3.2?

One big plus about the SuSE support of GNAT, is that they have
the only publically available binaries for GNAT on the Alpha
platform that I know of.

I was able to install and successfully run their GCC-3.1 (with Ada) RPMs
on my recent Debian Alpha platform.  I hope to make a binary
port of GNAT for Debian in the near future, when the GCC-3.x
stabilizes a bit more, now that I can bootstrap it.  Maybe someone
at Debian will do the same.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: Gnat-Glade 3.2
@ 2003-04-03  9:00   ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2003-04-03  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:

> One big plus about the SuSE support of GNAT, is that they have
> the only publically available binaries for GNAT on the Alpha
> platform that I know of.

What?  Where?

Jacob (very happy)
--
"Any, sufficiently advanced, technology is indistinguishable from
  magic."

* GNAT for Linux/Alpha (Was: Gnat-Glade 3.2)
@ 2003-04-03 15:51   ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2003-04-03 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:

> One big plus about the SuSE support of GNAT, is that they have
> the only publically available binaries for GNAT on the Alpha
> platform that I know of.

Your hint got me to search for RPM packages for Linux/Alpha with GNAT.
I actually found both SuSE and Red Hat packages.

> I was able to install and successfully run their GCC-3.1 (with Ada) RPMs
> on my recent Debian Alpha platform.

I have managed to install "cpp-3.1-11", "gcc-3.1-11", "gnat-3.1-11" and
"libgcc-3.1-11" on my SuSE system, but the compiler doesn't quite work:

------------------
gcc -c -I../../Pakker/Matematik -I../../Pakker/OS -I../../Pakker/Strenge
-gnatv

GNAT 5.00w (20010924) Copyright 1992-2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Compiling: merge.adb (source file time stamp: 2003-01-28 16:16:17)
  35 lines: No errors
/tmp/ccF1GoLD.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccF1GoLD.s:12: Error: Cannot use !gpdisp!1 with ldah
/tmp/ccF1GoLD.s:13: Error: Cannot use !gpdisp!1 with lda
/tmp/ccF1GoLD.s:23: Error: No !sequence-number after !literal
/tmp/ccF1GoLD.s:26: Error: Cannot use !gpdisp!2 with ldah
/tmp/ccF1GoLD.s:27: Error: Cannot use !gpdisp!2 with lda
------------------

Any advice?

Jacob
--
"Any, sufficiently advanced, technology is indistinguishable from
  magic."

* Re: GNAT for Linux/Alpha (Was: Gnat-Glade 3.2)
@ 2003-04-03 17:25     ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2003-04-03 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:
>
>> One big plus about the SuSE support of GNAT, is that they have
>> the only publically available binaries for GNAT on the Alpha
>> platform that I know of.
>
> Your hint got me to search for RPM packages for Linux/Alpha with GNAT. I
> actually found both SuSE and Red Hat packages.

I wasn't aware that Red Hat even supported Alpha. Is this true?
I must admit that I didn't look too hard, but I could only find
refs to i386 or higher.

>> I was able to install and successfully run their GCC-3.1 (with Ada) RPMs
>> on my recent Debian Alpha platform.
>
> I have managed to install "cpp-3.1-11", "gcc-3.1-11", "gnat-3.1-11" and
> "libgcc-3.1-11" on my SuSE system, but the compiler doesn't quite work:
>
> ------------------
> gcc -c -I../../Pakker/Matematik -I../../Pakker/OS -I../../Pakker/Strenge
> -gnatv
>
> GNAT 5.00w (20010924) Copyright 1992-2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Compiling: merge.adb (source file time stamp: 2003-01-28 16:16:17)
>  35 lines: No errors
> /tmp/ccF1GoLD.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccF1GoLD.s:12: Error: Cannot use !gpdisp!1 with ldah
>
> Any advice?
>
> Jacob

I didn't have to do this (the current version of Debian must have the
correct version), but it sounds like you need to also upgrade your
binutils (of which the assembler is a part). However, in my case
I had nothing to loose (I could afford to mess up my Debian install). So
be aware that installing a new binutils package may break some other
things that you currently depend upon (I cannot assess that).  So I
suppose that the standard "backup disclaimer" applies ;-)

I don't remember how I found it, but I used some sort of "rpm find" site.
The rpmfind.net looks different than the one I used, and I cannot seem
to find the one I used at the moment. But there must be a hundred
of "rpm find" types of sites out there, that help in this regard.
SuSE lists the Alpha distribution under a axp directory name, IIRC.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

* Re: GNAT for Linux/Alpha
@ 2003-04-04  8:05       ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2003-04-04  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:

> I wasn't aware that Red Hat even supported Alpha. Is this true?
> I must admit that I didn't look too hard, but I could only find
> refs to i386 or higher.

Neither does SuSE (except for SuSE 7.1 for a few months more), but the
RPM packages seem to be there anyway.  I found them by searching for
"gnat", "alpha" and "rpm" on Google and noticed that I could use the web
site <http://rpmseek.com/> for more precise queries (didn't have any
luck with rpmfind).

> I didn't have to do this (the current version of Debian must have the
> correct version), but it sounds like you need to also upgrade your
> binutils (of which the assembler is a part). However, in my case
> I had nothing to loose (I could afford to mess up my Debian install). So
> be aware that installing a new binutils package may break some other
> things that you currently depend upon (I cannot assess that).  So I
> suppose that the standard "backup disclaimer" applies ;-)

Thanks.  I will try that.  And I will be careful.

Greetings,

Jacob (who hasn't dropped SuSE on his Alpha yet)
--

@ 2003-04-04 21:54         ` Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG @ 2003-04-04 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:
>
>> I wasn't aware that Red Hat even supported Alpha. Is this true?
>> I must admit that I didn't look too hard, but I could only find
>> refs to i386 or higher.
>
> Neither does SuSE (except for SuSE 7.1 for a few months more), but the
> RPM packages seem to be there anyway.

Sorry to hear that, though I cannot say I am surprised. There just
doesn't seem to be a whole lot of demand there.

> I found them by searching for
> "gnat", "alpha" and "rpm" on Google and noticed that I could use the web
> site <http://rpmseek.com/> for more precise queries (didn't have any
> luck with rpmfind).

Yes, rpmseek.com was the one I used. I found that to be very useful
here. I'll bookmark it here, before I forget it again ;-)

>> I didn't have to do this (the current version of Debian must have the
>> correct version), but it sounds like you need to also upgrade your
>> binutils (of which the assembler is a part). However, in my case
>> I had nothing to loose (I could afford to mess up my Debian install). So
>> be aware that installing a new binutils package may break some other
>> things that you currently depend upon (I cannot assess that).  So I
>> suppose that the standard "backup disclaimer" applies ;-)
>
> Thanks.  I will try that.  And I will be careful.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jacob (who hasn't dropped SuSE on his Alpha yet)

It seems that an Alpha owner needs a bit of "scrounger" in
them ;-)
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg