* doint use debian, use bsd or archlinux
@ 2013-07-07  5:27 johannes falcone
From: johannes falcone @ 2013-07-07  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

netbsd
freebsd
openbsd
archlinux

all awesome

debian is kinda not

* Re: doint use debian, use bsd or archlinux
@ 2013-07-07  6:55 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2013-07-07  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

johannes falcone <visphatesjava@gmail.com> writes:

> netbsd
> freebsd
> openbsd
> archlinux
>
> all awesome
>

> debian is kinda not

and opinion without justification is kinda useless.

* Re: doint use debian, use bsd or archlinux
@ 2013-07-07 19:55   ` johannes falcone
From: johannes falcone @ 2013-07-07 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 11:55:03 PM UTC-7, Simon Wright wrote:
> johannes falcone <visphatesjava@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > netbsd
>
> > freebsd
>
> > openbsd
>
> > archlinux
>

> > all awesome
>

> > debian is kinda not
>

> and opinion without justification is kinda useless.

ok here are the reasons
1 package manangement
archlinux cant be beat
2 ZFS freebsd has it
3 netbsd scheduler outperforms freebsd in mysql transaction benchmarks, and freebsd outperforms linux msot fo the time with exception when you have latest released stable kernel like archlinux
4 openbsd is much simpler than rest and very tight n well tested not sloppy as debian, and has best firewall, so for clever programmers openbsd may be best option since simplicity is the most important thing in software

debain fall behind each of these 4 so give them a try for a few months on a test box, then you will come back and agree

I have run them all for 6+ years and thus know from experience.

* Re: doint use debian, use bsd or archlinux
@ 2013-07-08  0:17     ` Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2013-07-08  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/7/2013 2:55 PM, johannes falcone wrote:

>> and opinion without justification is kinda useless.
>
> ok here are the reasons
> 1 package manangement
> archlinux cant be beat

Yes, I read nice things about it. They have the latest of everything

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/

I wanted to try it, but I am afraid, as it requires one to really know
Linux to install and use it.

So I am using Linux mint for my "Linux" now. May be one
day, when I get better at Linux will give it a try.

Do you run Ada on it? Do you run gnat? Any problems running/installing
Ada on it?

--Nasser

* Re: doint use debian, use bsd or archlinux
@ 2013-07-08 13:59       ` Marc C
From: Marc C @ 2013-07-08 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 7:17:02 PM UTC-5, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

> So I am using Linux mint for my "Linux" now. May be one
> day, when I get better at Linux will give it a try.

Once Ubuntu began to get seriously encrusted with dreck I switched to Mint. Been very happy with it. Fast, easy to manage, handles my 3-monitor setup just fine. It totally stays outta my way when I'm writing Ada.

Marc

* Re: doint use debian, use bsd or archlinux
@ 2013-07-09  0:51       ` johannes falcone
From: johannes falcone @ 2013-07-09  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:17:02 PM UTC-7, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 7/7/2013 2:55 PM, johannes falcone wrote:
>

> >> and opinion without justification is kinda useless.
>

> > ok here are the reasons
>
> > 1 package manangement
>
> > archlinux cant be beat
>

> Yes, I read nice things about it. They have the latest of everything
>

> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/
>

> I wanted to try it, but I am afraid, as it requires one to really know
>
> Linux to install and use it.
>

> So I am using Linux mint for my "Linux" now. May be one
>
> day, when I get better at Linux will give it a try.
>

> Do you run Ada on it? Do you run gnat? Any problems running/installing
>
> Ada on it?
>

> --Nasser

gnat runs fine
very recent stable version for archlinux
I am afraid to run any other linux, with such old buggy codfe infesting them.
Netbsd nice
freebsd too
openbsd nice too

* Re: doint use debian, use bsd or archlinux
@ 2013-07-11 22:56     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2013-07-11 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 1:55:29 PM UTC-6, johannes falcone wrote:

> 4 openbsd is much simpler than rest and very tight n well tested not sloppy as debian, and has best firewall, so for clever programmers openbsd may be best option since simplicity is the most important thing in software

If "simplicity" is your sole criterion then I should think Oberon would fit that bill well enough to blow OpenBSD out of the water.

* Re: doint use debian, use bsd or archlinux
@ 2013-08-09 17:25     ` darkestkhan
From: darkestkhan @ 2013-08-09 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 7:55:29 PM UTC, johannes falcone wrote:
> On Saturday, July 6, 2013 11:55:03 PM UTC-7, Simon Wright wrote:
>
> > johannes falcone writes:
>

> > > netbsd
>

> > > freebsd
>

> > > openbsd
>

> > > archlinux
>

> > > all awesome
>

> > > debian is kinda not
>

> > and opinion without justification is kinda useless.
>

> ok here are the reasons
>
> 1 package manangement
>
> archlinux cant be beat
>
> 2 ZFS freebsd has it

Debian has it too :) It is called Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.

> 3 netbsd scheduler outperforms freebsd in mysql transaction benchmarks, and freebsd outperforms linux msot fo the time with exception when you have latest released stable kernel like archlinux
>
> 4 openbsd is much simpler than rest and very tight n well tested not sloppy as debian, and has best firewall, so for clever programmers openbsd may be best option since simplicity is the most important thing in software
>

> debain fall behind each of these 4 so give them a try for a few months on a test box, then you will come back and agree
>

> I have run them all for 6+ years and thus know from experience.

And they all fall behind Debian when it comes to multiarch - which is available only in Debian and derivatives.