* Ada and Robotics (for fun)?
@ 2004-09-29 13:09 Chris Humphries
From: Chris Humphries @ 2004-09-29 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

	Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to
  do hobby like ada programming on robots. From searching
  google, most I got was references to using Ada for lego
  mindstorms. That seems like fun, anyone have experience in
  this?

	Here are some of the links for Lego Mindstorm:
	1) http://www.faginfamily.net/barry/Papers/AdaLetters.htm
	2) http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html
	3) http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/Ada_Mindstorms_manual.htm

	Now if only I could program a Robosapien in Ada to
  do stuff, that would be neat :)

	Robosapien:
	1) http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/6ba5/

	Robosapien with a camera and light:
	1) http://home.comcast.net/~jsamans/robo/robocam.htm

	Any other available fun ada programming with robotics?
  Looking for fun in programming that isn't actually programming
  something useful, like corewars (http://corewars.sourceforge.net/).

	Hope this wasn't off-base with this, but all programmers
  like to play in programming that isn't "work"? Plus, robots are
  cool.

Thanks,
Chris

* Re: Ada and Robotics (for fun)?
@ 2004-09-29 13:53 ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2004-09-29 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
Look at Vellemanns K8000 interface card, it gives many possibilites... you
have to assemble it yourself.
It dont think there are any Ada interface to it - you control it through
parallell port on PC.

(I have a very slow going hobby project to create a Ada interface to
Vellemanns K8000 kit)
Frank

* Re: Ada and Robotics (for fun)?
@ 2004-09-29 17:00 ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2004-09-29 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Humphries wrote (with deletions):

> Hello,
>
>         Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to
>   do hobby like ada programming on robots. From searching
>   google, most I got was references to using Ada for lego
>   mindstorms. That seems like fun, anyone have experience in
>   this?
>
>         Here are some of the links for Lego Mindstorm:
>         1) http://www.faginfamily.net/barry/Papers/AdaLetters.htm
>         2) http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html
>         3) http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/Ada_Mindstorms_manual.htm
>
>         Hope this wasn't off-base with this, but all programmers
>   like to play in programming that isn't "work"? Plus, robots are
>   cool.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Mr. Fagan has done a nice job with Ada Mindstorms.  I hope it continues to
evolve.

You can get the AdaGide add-on for Ada Mindstorms at:
ftp://ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/fagin/adamindstorms-install.exe

Jerry
-- Jerry Petrey   -   Senior Principal Systems Engineer
-- Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, & Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems  - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please perform appendectomy on email address before replying