* Asynchronous abort not working in Debian GNAT?
@ 2009-07-15 18:32 Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2009-07-15 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Under Debian Sarge on Intel, gnat 3.15p, I implemented a time-out for an
application using the canonical construct:

     select
        delay Time_Out;
        Error (...);
     then abort
        Processing (...);
     end select;

After upgrading to Debian Lenny, FSF GNAT 4.3.2, it appears that this no
longer works; instead, Processing completes without being aborted,
unless Processing does something that probably invokes scheduling, for
example "delay 0.0" or Text_IO output to the console.

Running "strace" on the program shows that a SIGABRT is signalled at
TIme_Out, but does not abort Processing until Processing does something
like delay or console output. The GNAT polling option (-gnatP) does not
seem to help.

I did not find any Debian bug report on this issue. Has anyone else seen
this? Do you know of work-arounds? Other than sprinkling the code with
frequent delay statements.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: Asynchronous abort not working in Debian GNAT?
@ 2009-07-15 19:35 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2009-07-15 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Holsti wrote:
> Under Debian Sarge on Intel, gnat 3.15p, I implemented a time-out for an
> application using the canonical construct:
>
>     select
>        delay Time_Out;
>        Error (...);
>     then abort
>        Processing (...);
>     end select;
>
> After upgrading to Debian Lenny, FSF GNAT 4.3.2, it appears that this no
> longer works; instead, Processing completes without being aborted,
> unless Processing does something that probably invokes scheduling, for
> example "delay 0.0" or Text_IO output to the console.

FWIW, with Windows GNAT GPL 2007 (gcc 4.1.3), it doesn't abort either,

with Ada.Text_IO;

procedure Time_Out is

   procedure Processing is
      type T is mod 2**16;