From: Stephane Carrez <stephane.carrez@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ANN: Ada Resource Embedder for C, Ada and Go
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 23:15:30 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

Le vendredi 11 juin 2021 à 21:53:09 UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
> On 2021-06-11 20:44, Stephane Carrez wrote:
> > Thanks Dimitry for the clarification.
> >
> > Different requirements leads to different solutions.
> >
> > With ARE, I want to embed a Javascript file (such as jQuery), minify it with closure, compress it with gzip
> > and make it available as raw content so that the web server can service it without reading any file.
> > The content being accessible through either an Ada generated variable or through a function,
> > it is mapped in memory (we avoid an open, read, close system call plus the gzip stuff) and
> > the server only has to return the buffer content.
> Same here. In the case of an integrated HTTP server I simply store the
> HTTP pages as a set of string constants and functions generating dynamic
> portions of. The HTTP server uses no external files. Most pages never
> exist in any moment of time, because the server generates portions of
> them and sends away chunks as soon as possible. For this reason I do not
> compress any pages. It would waste too much resources on a small
> embedded system and does not really matter for a large PC.

Not the same. ARE takes a static content and converts it in an Ada source that you compile.

Compression can help even on embedded systems because it reduces the size of data transfer.
A jquery-3.4.1.js file is arround 273K. Minified by closure it is reduced to 89K.
If you also compress it, it reduces to 31K.

On slow networks these size reduction make a difference.

There is no waste of resource because the compression is made during the build process not at runtime.
I would say the opposite: what you get is smaller in size.

Best regards,

Stephane