* help bootstrapping gprbuild & Ada newcomer problems
@ 2020-06-29 14:51 deadhacker
From: deadhacker @ 2020-06-29 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all.

I'm having trouble building gprbuild & xmlada.  I have Gnat installed & working, but I'm new to Ada & don't have gprbuild, so I must bootstrap it.

I see that there's a lot of recent activity in {https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/}, including people with similar problems, so for now I'll watch that in the hopes that a near-future change will fix things.

But my question for comp.lang.ada is...

Are these types of problems common for newcomers to Ada?  If so, are the problems old, or are they recent, maybe due to increased recent interest in Ada?

Thanks.

* Re: help bootstrapping gprbuild & Ada newcomer problems
@ 2020-06-29 15:00 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2020-06-29 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 29/06/2020 à 16:51, deadhacker a écrit :
> But my question for comp.lang.ada is...
>
> Are these types of problems common for newcomers to Ada?  If so, are
> the problems old, or are they recent, maybe due to increased recent
> interest in Ada?

You didn't mention the system you are running on. If you are a newcommer
and use one of the common operating systems, I suggest you use a binary
distribution for your OS. It comes with everything you need, ready to use.

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: help bootstrapping gprbuild & Ada newcomer problems
@ 2020-06-30  7:41 ` joakimds
From: joakimds @ 2020-06-30  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den måndag 29 juni 2020 kl. 16:51:10 UTC+2 skrev deadhacker:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm having trouble building gprbuild & xmlada.  I have Gnat installed & working, but I'm new to Ada & don't have gprbuild, so I must bootstrap it.
>
> I see that there's a lot of recent activity in {https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild/}, including people with similar problems, so for now I'll watch that in the hopes that a near-future change will fix things.
>
> But my question for comp.lang.ada is...
>
> Are these types of problems common for newcomers to Ada?  If so, are the problems old, or are they recent, maybe due to increased recent interest in Ada?
>
> Thanks.

To elaborate on J-P. Rosen's answer go to https://www.adacore.com/download and install the GNAT from there. No need to build gprbuild nor xmlada yourself.

Best regards,
Joakim

* Re: help bootstrapping gprbuild & Ada newcomer problems
@ 2020-06-30 17:38 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2020-06-30 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

The pre-built installers at https://www.adacore.com/download are your best bet for most hobbyist-type solution

There's some other resources, IIRC, here: http://www.getadanow.com/