From: Optikos <ZUERCHER_Andreas@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: recommended blog sites/software?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 09:31:09 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2020-05-24T09:31:09-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 1:25:32 PM UTC-5, Stephen Leake wrote:
> I'm thinking of starting a blog about my work with Ada and Emacs. What sites/software do you recommend?
>
> I have a website hosted on hostmonster; I have not looked into their blog offerings yet. I'd be willing to move to a different host.
>
> -- Stephe

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/WindowsGuide/EC2Win_CreateWordPressBlog.html

At the URL below are instructions for installing WordPress on a Windows 10 instance on Amazon EC2.  Installing WordPress or other blogging infrastructure on Linux has roughly analogous steps.  You could start out at the least expensive type of EC2 instance (at the least expensive Amazon EC2 region, or the Amazon EC2 region that has the best system of law) and then migrate to bigger or more-reserved instances on EC2 as your blog's traffic out grows the minimum one that you picked.  Going with Amazon's own flavor of Linux on Amazon's own custom-designed ARM servers in the noncoastal regions of the USA typically is the cheapest.  Please consult a lawyer in the appropriate jurisdiction about which features of your blog need to consider EU's GPDR, which might arise if you permit accounts to post replies/comments to your blog postings.  Likewise for Microsoft Azure except that Qualcomm & Cavium makes Azure's ARM servers' processors.  Of course, you can choose AMD or Intel processors too for incrementally higher price, if x86-64 ISA is needed; I have not checked whether the ARM-ISA targets emitted by GNAT are 100% compatible with either Amazon's Graviton ARM processors or whichever mixture of ARM processors Azure have deployed, assuming that you are writing your blog in Ada instead of using e.g. WordPress.

At the URLs below are the various pricings of Amazon EC2 instances and Microsoft Azure instances at various geographic regions:

EC2:
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/spot/pricing

Azure:
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/virtual-machines/linux