* Ada 2012 emulator of the EE KDF9
@ 2018-08-08 21:36 Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2018-08-08 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

The English Electric KDF9 was a groundbreaking product
of the UK computer industry in the early 1960s.

It is once again possible to learn about KDF9 "hands on" by
running some original KDF9 software, including the well-known
Whetstone Benchmark, using ee9, the GNU Ada KDF9 emulator.

Download packages of the latest version, V3.1a,
for macOS, 64-bit Linux, and Windows, can be found at:

<http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/emulation/?C=M;O=D>

ee9 is written in Ada 2012. There are 15 additional lines of code
in the Windows version, mostly to deal with the pre-W10 lack of
ANSI terminal features. Four constants have Windows-specific values.
Apart from that, the source is identical for all supported OSes.

Older versions are available for the Raspberry Pi and for ancient Macs.

The present version should compile and run successfully using GNAT,
under the Stretch version of Raspbian, but I don't own a Raspberry Pi,
so I cannot verify this myself. Please let me know if you attempt it,
whether successfully or not.

For more detail, without downloading everything, see the Users' Guide:

<http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/Users%20Guide%20for%20ee9.pdf>

Enjoy.

--
Bill Findlay

* Re: Ada 2012 emulator of the EE KDF9
@ 2018-08-09 10:51 ` robin.vowels
From: robin.vowels @ 2018-08-09 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 7:36:43 AM UTC+10, Bill Findlay wrote:
> The English Electric KDF9 was a groundbreaking product
> of the UK computer industry in the early 1960s.

The design was based on the Australian Charles Hamblin's
programming language "GEORGE" of 1957, which used a push-down pop-up accumulator.