* Installing GNAT-GPL-2013 and ASIS-GNAT-2013 on Ubuntu
@ 2013-12-06  8:27 Yuichi Goto
From: Yuichi Goto @ 2013-12-06  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, everybody.
I'd like to report about installing GNAT-GPL-2013 and ASIS-GNAT-2013 on Ubuntu and ask a question.

I put install log at following page:
http://www.aise.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/~gotoh/GnatGpl2013WithASIS2013onUbuntuEn.html

Through the installation, I have a question that why some adb files at include/gnat_util in GNAT-GPL-2012 are reduced in GNAT-GPL-2013.

After installing ASIS-GNAT-2013, I tried to compile a sample program about ASIS described at "ASIS-for-GNAT User's Guide: 2.4 Building the Executable for an ASIS application" on http://docs.adacore.com/asis-docs/asis_ug_3.html#SEC13 . But, I can't do that.

The reasons are 1) some adb files at ./asis-gpl-2013-src/asis aren't copied to /usr/gnat/include/asis by installation process of ASIS-GNAT-2013; 2) some adb files don't exist at /usr/gnat/include/gnat_util while ads files exist there.

The adb files that should be at /usr/gnat/include/gnat_util are
tree_in.adb, tree_io.adb, uname.adb, widechar.adb, debug.adb, fname.adb, gnatvsn.adb, krunch.adb, and stand.adb.

I copied the adb files from GNAT-GPL-2012 to /usr/gnat/include/gnat_util.
And then, I could succeed to compile the sample file.

I'm a beginner of Ada language, and this is the first time to install GNAT.
So, I'm not sure wherther the method of installation is correcto or not.

Could you tell me whether my installation method is correct or not?
And could you tell me why those adb files are removed from GNAT-GPL-2013
if my method is correct?

Thanks
Yuichi Goto

* Re: Installing GNAT-GPL-2013 and ASIS-GNAT-2013 on Ubuntu
@ 2013-12-06  9:02 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2013-12-06  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yuichi Goto <goto.yuichi@gmail.com> writes:

> After installing ASIS-GNAT-2013, I tried to compile a sample program
> about ASIS described at "ASIS-for-GNAT User's Guide: 2.4 Building the
> Executable for an ASIS application" on
> http://docs.adacore.com/asis-docs/asis_ug_3.html#SEC13 . But, I can't
> do that.

Having tried installing ASIS (on Mac OS X, but should be similar), I
think the problem is that AdaCore haven't kept this document up-to-date.

The instructions at [1] should tell you to create a GNAT Project file
and build using that. The minimal GPR for this example would be

   --  example1.gpr
   with "asis";
   project Example1 is
      for Main use ("example1.adb");
   end Example1;

(in the same directory as example1.adb) and you use it by

  $ gnatmake -P example1

More info on GNAT Project at [2] and [3].

[1] http://docs.adacore.com/asis-docs/asis_ug_3.html#SEC13
[2]
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.6.0/gnat_ugn_unw/GNAT-Project-Manager.html
[3] http://docs.adacore.com/gprbuild-docs/html/gprbuild_ug.html

* Re: Installing GNAT-GPL-2013 and ASIS-GNAT-2013 on Ubuntu
@ 2013-12-06 17:35 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2013-12-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yuichi Goto writes on comp.lang.ada:
> Hello, everybody.
> I'd like to report about installing GNAT-GPL-2013 and ASIS-GNAT-2013
> on Ubuntu and ask a question.
[...]
> I'm a beginner of Ada language, and this is the first time to install GNAT.
> So, I'm not sure wherther the method of installation is correcto or not.
>
> Could you tell me whether my installation method is correct or not?
> And could you tell me why those adb files are removed from GNAT-GPL-2013
> if my method is correct?

I cannot comment on the installation procedure for GNAT GPL 2012 or 2013
but, if your goal is to "just" program in Ada and not to learn how to
install and recompile everything from scratch, then I suggest you
install the packages from Ubuntu:

aptitude install gnat gnat-gps libasis2010-dev

and forget about configuration problems.

(There are other packages you can install, too, such as
libgtkada2.24.1-dev, etc.  If you want to know which packages are
available look for the packages that depend on gnat.)

The price you pay for this comfort is a slightly older version of GNAT,
which works pretty well.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Installing GNAT-GPL-2013 and ASIS-GNAT-2013 on Ubuntu
@ 2013-12-10  7:58   ` Yuichi Goto
From: Yuichi Goto @ 2013-12-10  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot.
I'll do it.

2013年12月6日金曜日 18時02分20秒 UTC+9 Simon Wright:

@ 2013-12-10  8:01   ` Yuichi Goto
From: Yuichi Goto @ 2013-12-10  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Simon

@ 2013-12-10  8:03   ` Yuichi Goto
From: Yuichi Goto @ 2013-12-10  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Ludovic

Thanks a lot.
I'm not sure that such convenient package exists.

2013年12月7日土曜日 2時35分31秒 UTC+9 Ludovic Brenta:

@ 2013-12-12  7:35     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2013-12-12  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yuichi Goto <goto.yuichi@gmail.com> writes:
> Dear Ludovic
>
> Thanks a lot.
> I'm not sure that such convenient package exists.

I know it exists because I made it :)

These packages are part of the Ubuntu "universe", i.e. you need to
install them from the Ubuntu servers not from the CD or DVD.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Installing GNAT-GPL-2013 and ASIS-GNAT-2013 on Ubuntu
@ 2013-12-12  7:43       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2013-12-12  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12.12.13 08:35, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> I'm not sure that such convenient package exists.
> I know it exists because I made it:)
A new take on Descartes' proposition. :-)