* How to link to ada-util
@ 2019-10-31 17:53 Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-10-31 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

The ada-util package has many interesting features.
https://github.com/stcarrez/ada-util
How I use it.
I copy my application to the samples directory and run the gnatmake -Psamples which uses samples.gpr.
I have not find a better way to link to ada-util.
Is there a better easier way ?

When I try a simple gnat make test.adb on a file containing :
with Util.Streams.Pipes;
I get the error "util.ads" not found.
I think I need to tell the systeem where to look for all necessary .ads files, which are in a tree ...

* Re: How to link to ada-util
@ 2019-11-01  9:36 ` joakimds
From: joakimds @ 2019-11-01  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den torsdag 31 oktober 2019 kl. 18:53:24 UTC+1 skrev Alain De Vos:
> The ada-util package has many interesting features.
> https://github.com/stcarrez/ada-util
> How I use it.
> I copy my application to the samples directory and run the gnatmake -Psamples which uses samples.gpr.
> I have not find a better way to link to ada-util.
> Is there a better easier way ?
>
> When I try a simple gnat make test.adb on a file containing :
> with Util.Streams.Pipes;
> I get the error "util.ads" not found.
> I think I need to tell the systeem where to look for all necessary .ads files, which are in a tree ...

Ada-Util has dependencies upon other github repositories and it is part of the AWA framework. To be able to use Ada-Util I recommend going to
https://github.com/stcarrez/ada-awa
and follow the instructions there:
   git clone git@github.com:stcarrez/ada-awa.git
   cd ada-awa
   git submodule init
   git submodule update

Best regards,
Joakim

* Re: How to link to ada-util
@ 2019-11-01 15:25   ` Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-11-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 1, 2019 at 10:36:54 AM UTC+1, joak...@kth.se wrote:
> Den torsdag 31 oktober 2019 kl. 18:53:24 UTC+1 skrev Alain De Vos:
> > The ada-util package has many interesting features.
> > https://github.com/stcarrez/ada-util
> > How I use it.
> > I copy my application to the samples directory and run the gnatmake -Psamples which uses samples.gpr.
> > I have not find a better way to link to ada-util.
> > Is there a better easier way ?
> >
> > When I try a simple gnat make test.adb on a file containing :
> > with Util.Streams.Pipes;
> > I get the error "util.ads" not found.
> > I think I need to tell the systeem where to look for all necessary .ads files, which are in a tree ...
>
> Ada-Util has dependencies upon other github repositories and it is part of the AWA framework. To be able to use Ada-Util I recommend going to
> https://github.com/stcarrez/ada-awa
> and follow the instructions there:
>    git clone git@github.com:stcarrez/ada-awa.git
>    cd ada-awa
>    git submodule init
>    git submodule update
>
> Best regards,
> Joakim

Here is how i tried to compile and bind and this worked on my program :
gcc -c    -I/usr/local/include/utilada_core.static -I/usr/local/include/utilada_sys.static -I/usr/local/include/utilada_base.static mystuff.adb
gnatbind  -I/usr/local/lib/utilada_core.static     -I/usr/local/lib/utilada_sys.static   -I/usr/local/lib/utilada_base.static mystuff
But I failed gnatlink to provide the good parameters.... so I'm stuck.
In fact I want to know what I'm doing.
And don't need to link to every library available.

* Re: How to link to ada-util
@ 2019-11-01 17:06     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2019-11-01 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2019-11-01 16:25, Alain De Vos wrote:
> On Friday, November 1, 2019 at 10:36:54 AM UTC+1, joak...@kth.se wrote:
>> Den torsdag 31 oktober 2019 kl. 18:53:24 UTC+1 skrev Alain De Vos:
>>> The ada-util package has many interesting features.
>>> https://github.com/stcarrez/ada-util
>>> How I use it.
>>> I copy my application to the samples directory and run the gnatmake -Psamples which uses samples.gpr.
>>> I have not find a better way to link to ada-util.
>>> Is there a better easier way ?
>>>
>>> When I try a simple gnat make test.adb on a file containing :
>>> with Util.Streams.Pipes;
>>> I get the error "util.ads" not found.
>>> I think I need to tell the systeem where to look for all necessary .ads files, which are in a tree ...
>>
>> Ada-Util has dependencies upon other github repositories and it is part of the AWA framework. To be able to use Ada-Util I recommend going to
>> https://github.com/stcarrez/ada-awa
>> and follow the instructions there:
>>     git clone git@github.com:stcarrez/ada-awa.git
>>     cd ada-awa
>>     git submodule init
>>     git submodule update
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Joakim
>
> Here is how i tried to compile and bind and this worked on my program :
> gcc -c    -I/usr/local/include/utilada_core.static -I/usr/local/include/utilada_sys.static -I/usr/local/include/utilada_base.static mystuff.adb
> gnatbind  -I/usr/local/lib/utilada_core.static     -I/usr/local/lib/utilada_sys.static   -I/usr/local/lib/utilada_base.static mystuff
> But I failed gnatlink to provide the good parameters.... so I'm stuck.
> In fact I want to know what I'm doing.
> And don't need to link to every library available.

Always use project files, never makefiles. If the library provider does
not give you a project file, ask him to do it. If he refuses to, write
your own project file. You can do it for system and non-Ada libraries
too. You must learn to do this if you want to use GNAT.

* Re: How to link to ada-util
@ 2019-11-01 18:40       ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2019-11-01 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 1, 2019 at 11:06:06 AM UTC-6, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> Always use project files, never makefiles. If the library provider does
> not give you a project file, ask him to do it. If he refuses to, write
> your own project file. You can do it for system and non-Ada libraries
> too. You must learn to do this if you want to use GNAT.

I have to agree, make really isn't as portable* as many linux-types want to make you believe; and that's in addition to being rather fragile.

* Try using Borland's make utility on their makefiles.

* Re: How to link to ada-util
@ 2019-11-03 17:05 ` Alain De Vos
From: Alain De Vos @ 2019-11-03 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 6:53:24 PM UTC+1, Alain De Vos wrote:
> The ada-util package has many interesting features.
> https://github.com/stcarrez/ada-util
> How I use it.
> I copy my application to the samples directory and run the gnatmake -Psamples which uses samples.gpr.
> I have not find a better way to link to ada-util.
> Is there a better easier way ?
>
> When I try a simple gnat make test.adb on a file containing :
> with Util.Streams.Pipes;
> I get the error "util.ads" not found.
> I think I need to tell the systeem where to look for all necessary .ads files, which are in a tree ...

Don't you need two project files.
A project file when the package exists as sources in the subtree.
A project file when the package is installed.