* GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-11-19  0:00 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following GNAT 3.07 releases are now available on cs.nyu.edu, and
will shortly be propagated to the various mirror sites:

  Alpha Digital Unix
  HP HP-UX
  Linux
  SGI IRIX
  Sparc Solaris
  Sparc SunOS

Additional ports will be made available as they are completed. The
following is an excerpt from the features file describing the latest
features in GNAT version 3.07:

Latest features in GNAT version 3.07
====================================

   GNAT now checks for the case of a body file present when the spec does
   not require a body. GNAT always diagnosed the error when the body was
   compiled, but if only the spec was compiled, the suspicious body was
   ignored. The presence of a body file when no body is allowed is now
   considered an error in Ada 95 mode, and a warning in Ada 83 mode.

   Packed arrays with bounds depending on a discriminant now work correctly

   The DEC pragmas have been implemented. Those of interest to GNAT ports
   in general are as follows (see below for full documentation)
       Common_Object
       Component_Alignment
       Export_Function
       Export_Object
       Export_Procedure
       Export_Valued_Procedure
       Import_Function
       Import_Object
       Import_Procedure
       Import_Valued_Procedure
       Suppress_All

   The DEC attributes have been implemented. Those of interest to GNAT ports
   in general are as follows (see below for full documentation)
       Bit
       Machine_Size
       Null_Parameter
       Type_Class

   Attribute Mechanism_Code allows determination of the parameter passing
   mechanism chosen by GNAT, as possibly controlled by the Import, Export
   and C_Pass_By_Copy pragmas.

   Pragma Extend_System allows transparent extension of package System to
   accomodate definitions from other implementations of Ada.

   Machine code insertions have been completely implemented. A new section
   in gnatinfo.txt describes the use. Both code statements as such, and
   also intrinsic calls are available. The latter allow interspersing
   machine instructions in Ada code. Inlining of machine code procedures
   is fully supported.

   The pragma C_Pass_By_Copy is implemented in a manner that is completely
   compatible with the Intermetrics implementation of this pragma.

   The default mechanism for passing records to foreign convention subprograms
   is now by-reference. This can be modified by either use of one of the
   DEC extended Import/Export pragmas, or by use of the C_Pass_By_Copy pragma.

   Further extended support for representation clauses, including more cases
   of misaligned fields, and non-standard layouts. Record representation
   clauses no longer require that the position of all fields be specified.

   Pragma Error_Monitoring has been removed. This pragma was not used and had
   a number of conceptual and implementation problems.

These releases also contain the initial draft versions of the two GNAT
manuals, the GNAT users guide and the GNAT reference manual, in various
formats.

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-11-19  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1996-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.848400280@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

>   Linux

For what hardware ?

I realize a true Linux fan would be using it already and know which
hardware it supported, but some of us want to know what exists.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-11-19  0:00   ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1996-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Kilgallen

Larry> In article <dewar.848400280@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu
Larry> (Robert Dewar) writes:

>> Linux

Larry> For what hardware ?

The current status for SparcLinux, as far as I know, is:

   1) Patches for GCC have been sent last week to GCC maintainers;
   2) work is in progress on MIT pthreads.

This means that we will probably get a GNAT on SparcLinux soon :)

  Sam
--
  Samuel Tardieu -- sam@ada.eu.org

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-11-20  0:00 ` lfa
From: lfa @ 1996-11-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> [...]
>
>    The pragma C_Pass_By_Copy is implemented in a manner that is completely
>    compatible with the Intermetrics implementation of this pragma.
>
>    The default mechanism for passing records to foreign convention subprograms
>    is now by-reference. This can be modified by either use of one of the
>    DEC extended Import/Export pragmas, or by use of the C_Pass_By_Copy pragma.
>
>    Further extended support for representation clauses, including more cases
>    of misaligned fields, and non-standard layouts. Record representation
>    clauses no longer require that the position of all fields be specified.
>
>    Pragma Error_Monitoring has been removed. This pragma was not used and had
>    a number of conceptual and implementation problems.
>
> These releases also contain the initial draft versions of the two GNAT
> manuals, the GNAT users guide and the GNAT reference manual, in various

Any date for Windows 95 ?

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-11-20  0:00   ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 1996-11-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

lfa@ip.pt wrote:
: Robert Dewar wrote:
[100 lines of text repeated!]

: Any date for Windows 95 ?

lfa,
You are unfair to all of us. For one line you are repeating
Robert's 100 lines already sent. Please stick to netiquette!

--
Peter Hermann  Tel:+49-711-685-3611 Fax:3758 ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Pfaffenwaldring 27, 70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-11-21  0:00   ` Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 1996-11-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
> In article <dewar.848400280@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
> >   Linux
> For what hardware ?

Intel.

> I realize a true Linux fan would be using it already and know which
> hardware it supported, but some of us want to know what exists.

I'm rather disappointed that the README.Linux claims that it's
supposed to lay right on top of Slackware.  Unfortunately, there is no
Slackware I know of that comes with gcc-2.7.2.1 or is configured for
"i586-unknown-linux".  Perhaps the author of this particular build of
gnat-3.07 would like to contact me as I have a vanilla "Slackware-96"
(libc revved back to stable 5.2.18, instead of the distributed beta
5.3.12, and kernel at 2.0.25) and would be interested in seeing
gnat-3.07 re-packaged to integrate seemlessly with this latest
Slackware release.

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
Ronald Cole <ronald@ridgecrest.ca.us>    Phone: (619) 499-9142

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-11-22  0:00   ` Kevin Krieser
From: Kevin Krieser @ 1996-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You are unfair to all of us. For one line you are repeating
> Robert's 100 lines already sent. Please stick to netiquette!

But wouldn't proper netiquette have been for him to tell us how we can make $5000 for only a $5
investment? :)

------------------------------------
-- Kevin Krieser
-- kkrieser@ionet.net

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-11-22  0:00     ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 1996-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m23ey3m815.fsf@devo.ridgecrest.ca.us>,
Ronald Cole  <ronald@ridgecrest.ca.us> wrote:
>I'm rather disappointed that the README.Linux claims that it's
>supposed to lay right on top of Slackware.  Unfortunately, there is no
>Slackware I know of that comes with gcc-2.7.2.1 or is configured for
>"i586-unknown-linux".  Perhaps the author of this particular build of
>gnat-3.07 would like to contact me as I have a vanilla "Slackware-96"
>(libc revved back to stable 5.2.18, instead of the distributed beta
>5.3.12, and kernel at 2.0.25) and would be interested in seeing
>gnat-3.07 re-packaged to integrate seemlessly with this latest
>Slackware release.

What about the latest Yggdrasil release?  Is it similar enough to
Slackware that gnat won't care about the differences?

(I'm a bit worried that "X Linux" /= "Y Linux" for various CD-rom
distributors X and Y.)

- Bob

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-11-23  0:00   ` Rolf Ebert
From: Rolf Ebert @ 1996-11-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: report

bobduff@world.std.com (Robert A Duff) writes:

> In article <m23ey3m815.fsf@devo.ridgecrest.ca.us>,
> Ronald Cole  <ronald@ridgecrest.ca.us> wrote:
> >I'm rather disappointed that the README.Linux claims that it's
> >supposed to lay right on top of Slackware.  Unfortunately, there is no
> >Slackware I know of that comes with gcc-2.7.2.1 or is configured for
> >"i586-unknown-linux".  Perhaps the author of this particular build of
> >gnat-3.07 would like to contact me as I have a vanilla "Slackware-96"
> >(libc revved back to stable 5.2.18, instead of the distributed beta
> >5.3.12, and kernel at 2.0.25) and would be interested in seeing
> >gnat-3.07 re-packaged to integrate seemlessly with this latest
> >Slackware release.
>
> What about the latest Yggdrasil release?  Is it similar enough to
> Slackware that gnat won't care about the differences?
>
> (I'm a bit worried that "X Linux" /= "Y Linux" for various CD-rom
> distributors X and Y.)
>
> - Bob

The usual place for gcc on any (intel) Linux is

        /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2

variable in the version number of gcc (the last part of the path).  The
leading part of the path is fixed by the Linux GCC maintainer H. Lu.
*All* Linux distributions adhere to that standard.

Whoever built linux binary version did not follow his own advice
explained in the README.Linux.

If you don't provide a target archtecture to "configure" it will guess
where it is and guesses i586-unknown-linux.  When running "configure"
you explicitely have to say "i486-linux".

        Rolf

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-11-28  0:00   ` Chris Morgan
From: Chris Morgan @ 1996-11-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m2sp613wxl.fsf@waporo.muc.de> Rolf Ebert <re@waporo.muc.de> writes:

   The usual place for gcc on any (intel) Linux is

	   /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2

   variable in the version number of gcc (the last part of the path).  The
   leading part of the path is fixed by the Linux GCC maintainer H. Lu.
   *All* Linux distributions adhere to that standard.

   Whoever built linux binary version did not follow his own advice
   explained in the README.Linux.

   If you don't provide a target archtecture to "configure" it will guess
   where it is and guesses i586-unknown-linux.  When running "configure"
   you explicitely have to say "i486-linux".

This is good news. I thought the confusion over pathnames was just a
feature of Linux's rapid development at the moment. Hopefully future
GNAT releases will be configured to correctly install in vanilla
Slackware. I may build compilers at work, but at home I'm too tired of
breaking my entire system, I prefer safe upgrades so I can continue to
rebuild my kernel. Have you pointed out this mistake to Sean McNeil?

Chris
--
Christopher Morgan

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-12-03  0:00   ` Rolf Ebert
From: Rolf Ebert @ 1996-12-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

cm@mihalis.demon.co.uk (Chris Morgan) writes:

CM> In article <m2sp613wxl.fsf@waporo.muc.de> Rolf Ebert
CM> <re@waporo.muc.de> writes:

RE>    The usual place for gcc on any (intel) Linux is

RE> 	   /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2

RE>    variable in the version number of gcc (the last part of the path).  The
RE>    leading part of the path is fixed by the Linux GCC maintainer H. Lu.
RE>    *All* Linux distributions adhere to that standard.

RE>    Whoever built linux binary version did not follow his own advice
RE>    explained in the README.Linux.

CM> This is good news. I thought the confusion over pathnames was just a
CM> feature of Linux's rapid development at the moment. Hopefully future
CM> GNAT releases will be configured to correctly install in vanilla
CM> Slackware. I may build compilers at work, but at home I'm too tired of
CM> breaking my entire system, I prefer safe upgrades so I can continue to
CM> rebuild my kernel. Have you pointed out this mistake to Sean McNeil?

I sent a copy of the above article to report@gnat.com, but had no answer
so far (I'm not a paying customer).

I don't think that Sean built the last release as he is aware of such
issues.  I suppose someone else did it for him this time.  That one
built gcc/gnat in the usual gcc way (without specifying the
architecture) which is not the usual Linux way (providing i486-linux to
configure)

CM> Chris
CM> --
CM> Christopher Morgan

        Rolf

* Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
@ 1996-12-06  0:00   ` Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 1996-12-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rolf Ebert <re@waporo.muc.de> writes:
> I sent a copy of the above article to report@gnat.com, but had no answer
> so far (I'm not a paying customer).

That's been my experience, too.

> I don't think that Sean built the last release as he is aware of such
> issues.  I suppose someone else did it for him this time.  That one
> built gcc/gnat in the usual gcc way (without specifying the
> architecture) which is not the usual Linux way (providing i486-linux to
> configure)

Following the instructions to recompile, I got this error building the
the 3.07-stage1 with 3.05:

$ make CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O2" LANGUAGES="c ada"
[...snip...]
gcc -DIN_GCC -O2 -o ../gnat1 b_gnat1.o a-adaint.o a-gettty.o
 a-gtran3.o a-misc.o a-trans3.o a-trans4.o a-trans.o a-uintp.o a-argv.o
 a-raise.o a-init.o ada.o a-charac.o a-chlat1.o alloc.o atree.o
 casing.o checks.o comperr.o csets.o cstand.o debug.o debug_a.o einfo.o
 elists.o errout.o eval_fat.o exp_attr.o exp_ch11.o exp_ch13.o
 exp_ch2.o exp_ch3.o exp_ch4.o exp_ch5.o exp_ch6.o exp_ch7.o exp_ch8.o
 exp_ch9.o exp_code.o exp_dbug.o exp_disp.o exp_dist.o exp_fixd.o
 exp_aggr.o exp_intr.o exp_pakd.o exp_prag.o exp_strm.o exp_tss.o
 exp_util.o expander.o features.o fname.o freeze.o frontend.o
 g-hesora.o gnat.o g-htable.o g-os_lib.o get_targ.o gnatvsn.o
 hostparm.o itypes.o inline.o krunch.o lib.o lib-load.o lib-writ.o
 namet.o nlists.o nmake.o opt.o osint.o output.o par.o restrict.o
 rtsfind.o s-assert.o s-stalib.o s-stoele.o s-tasoli.o s-taspda.o
 s-exctab.o s-wchcnv.o s-wchcon.o s-wchjis.o scans.o scn.o sdefault.o
 sem.o sem_aggr.o sem_attr.o sem_ch10.o sem_ch11.o sem_ch12.o
 sem_ch13.o sem_ch2.o sem_ch3.o sem_ch4.o sem_ch5.o sem_ch6.o sem_ch7.o
 sem_ch8.o sem_ch9.o sem_disp.o sem_case.o sem_dist.o sem_eval.o
 sem_intr.o sem_mech.o sem_prag.o sem_res.o sem_type.o sem_util.o
 sinfo-cn.o sinfo.o sinput.o sinput-l.o snames.o sprint.o stand.o
 stringt.o style.o switch.o system.o tbuild.o tree_gen.o tree_io.o
 treepr.o treeprs.o ttypef.o ttypes.o types.o uintp.o uname.o urealp.o
 usage.o widechar.o back_end.o gnat1drv.o `cat ../stamp-objlist` `if [
 xobstack.o != x ]; then echo ../obstack.o; else true; fi` `case "gcc"
 in "cc") if [ x != x ]; then echo ../; else true; fi ;; esac` `if [ x
 != x ]; then echo ../; else true; fi`
a-misc.o: In function `yyparse':
a-misc.o(.text+0x16): undefined reference to `__builtin_setjmp'
a-raise.o: In function `__gnat_raise_nodefer_with_msg':
a-raise.o(.text+0xa8): undefined reference to `__builtin_longjmp'
make[1]: *** [../gnat1] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/z/x/gcc/ada'
make: *** [gnat1] Error 2

--

@ 1996-12-13  0:00   ` Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 1996-12-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald Cole <ronald@ridgecrest.ca.us> writes:
> > I don't think that Sean built the last release as he is aware of such
> > issues.  I suppose someone else did it for him this time.  That one
> > built gcc/gnat in the usual gcc way (without specifying the
> > architecture) which is not the usual Linux way (providing i486-linux to
> > configure)

Ok, I build a proper Slackware-3.1 version of GNAT-3.07.  I've
informed Sean where to ftp it from and, if it passes muster, to put it
up on cs.nyu.edu.  If I don't hear back from him in a week, I'll post
it's ftp address.