* GNAT/MachTen?
@ 1996-11-22  0:00 Thomas Kendelbacher
From: Thomas Kendelbacher @ 1996-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject says it all: What is the current status?
Any news from the GNAT-Mac project?
(http://gnat-mac.com/macada unreachable?)

--
Thomas Kendelbacher   |   email : Thomas.Kendelbacher@erno.de (preferred)
DASA RI / Abt. RIT14  |   voice : +49 421 539 5492 (working hours)
Postfach 28 61 56     |      or : +49 421 576 9670 (any other time)
D-28361 Bremen        |     fax : +49 421 539 4529 (any time)
Germany

* Re: GNAT/MachTen?
@ 1996-11-22  0:00 ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 1996-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5746kn$5dd@mailsrv2.erno.de>
Thomas.Kendelbacher@erno.de (Thomas Kendelbacher) writes:

> Subject says it all: What is the current status?
> Any news from the GNAT-Mac project?
> (http://gnat-mac.com/macada unreachable?)

I don't know why its down, its been reported for a week or more.

Well the technical team is still hard at work however.  We are close to
having a release of gnat 3.07 for ppc with the new tenon fast file
system software (a ppc native file system which speeds the compiler up
by a factor of 4 or more).  We now have tasking in standalone MacOS
apps running as well thanks to some great work by the folks at Tenon,
and a lot of help from the ACT folks (Thanks Cyrille).  The new tenon
CD with the entire ball of wax (including full source) will be shown at
tri-ada in the ACT booth. We have done a great deal of work to make
this as nice as possible.  it now builds either unix or mac apps (as
well as hybrid unix apps with macOS interface) completely
transparently.  no fuss no muss!  As you can tell i am kind of proud of
it ;-)  Mike Feldman, Art Evans have new html documentation set that
includes new mac specific docs as well as gnu tools which are really
nice.  John Matthews has a new and improved MacOS binding thats coveres
even more of the mac toolbox.  Mike, Art, John, and I have collabarated
on some really nice examples both plain ada95 and a set of mac Apps
with documentation. We have also worked with a few vendors of mac
freeware and shareware tools to include some macos tools which work
well with gnat-mac.  forexample macperl which allows you to use Tom
Quiggles really nice little perl pretty printer as a bbedit extension
so you can pretty print code inside bbedit, and a newly release mac
application development framework in Ada by Marinus A. van der Lugt.

There have been several people wanting a more "native" mac ada using
codewarrior or mpw, well i can now talk about one reason that tenons
solution is going to be supperior to this for some time to come.  Tenon
has announced their new ppc native fast file system that they use from
machten in addition to mac hfs (you can mix and match).  By using this
with gnat the build process is 4 or more times faster than using mac
file system.  For example it taks 8 hours to compile (c ada, c++) and
bootstrap, then build libs and tools using mac file system (which is
emulated 68k code), however under Machtens new fast file system its
less than 2 hours!

best jim