* GNADE
@ 2002-07-12  7:59 Marek Bialoglowy
From: Marek Bialoglowy @ 2002-07-12  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I'm currently testing GNADE with mySQL and after couple hours of
testing this experimental thing I can just start to look for something
more reliable and more serious. Are there any serious libraries for
binding GNAT to MySQL ?

MB

* Re: GNADE
@ 2002-07-13  8:04 ` Ingo Marks
From: Ingo Marks @ 2002-07-13  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marek Bialoglowy wrote:

> I'm currently testing GNADE with mySQL and after couple hours of
> testing this experimental thing I can just start to look for something
> more reliable and more serious. Are there any serious libraries for
> binding GNAT to MySQL ?

http://home.snafu.de/~boavista/download.html

provides a PHP-like MySQL-binding which worked pretty well for me so far.

Regards,
Ingo

* Re: GNADE
@ 2002-07-14 22:24 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-07-14 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

mb@vaubansys.com (Marek Bialoglowy) writes:

> Hello
>
> I'm currently testing GNADE with mySQL and after couple hours of
> testing this experimental thing I can just start to look for something
> more reliable and more serious. Are there any serious libraries for
> binding GNAT to MySQL ?

GNADE is certainly a "serious" library... what is your problems ?

Pascal.

--|

* GNADE
@ 2006-10-25 17:25 axu
From: axu @ 2006-10-25 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is GNADE still active ?
Their last release dates from january 2005...and I wonder if someone
still manages it.
If not ..where can I find some database related libraries ?
(mysql/postgresql)

Thanks
Alex

* Re: GNADE
@ 2006-10-25 18:52 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-10-25 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

axu writes:
> Is GNADE still active ?
> Their last release dates from january 2005...and I wonder if someone
> still manages it.
> If not ..where can I find some database related libraries ?
> (mysql/postgresql)

The CVS repository contains a more recent version, dating back to
December 2005.  Even though the project seems to be inactive, GNADE is
mature and production-worthy; you can use it.

There is an alternative called APQ by Warren W. Gray; it supports both
PostgreSQL and MySQL.  See http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg/software.html

... but the last update is September 25, 2004!  I think APQ is also
mature and quite usable.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GNADE
@ 2006-10-25 19:58 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-10-25 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 10:25 -0700, axu wrote:
>  ..where can I find some database related libraries ?
> (mysql/postgresql)

To add to Ludovic's pointers, you might ask the
producer of your Ada tool chain. They might have ODBC
bindings.

* Re: GNADE
@ 2006-10-25 21:40   ` axu
From: axu @ 2006-10-25 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your answers :)
But ! ;)
The reason I've asked this was becaus I spent the whole day trying to
use in some way the native binding of GNADE to mysql. Obviously I've
missed something so I'll abuse of your kindness and post my program
here. If you see any problems please kik me in the head :)

procedure Server is
  dBase      : MySQL.Object;
  qId        : MySQL.Query_ID;
  haut       : Integer;
begin
  -- database initialisation
  Initialize(dBase);
  User(dBase, "user");
  Password( dBase, "pass" );
  Connect(  dBase, "localhost" );
  Select_DB( dBase, "base" );

  qID := Query( dBase, "select S_HAUTEUR from t_liens where
PK_LIENS=5");
  haut := Integer_Field( dBase, qID, 14 );

  exception
    when Field_Type_Error => Put_Line("Field type error");
    when No_Query_Result  => Put_Line("No result");
    when No_More_Rows     => Put_Line("No more rows");
    when Except : Others => Put_Line( "Fatal error, uncatched exception
" & Exception_Name( Except )
                                                   & Ascii.CR &
Ascii.LF & "Message: " & Exception_Message( Except ));
  Disconnect(dBase);
  Finalize(dBase);
end Server;
In mysql the field S_HAUTEUR is:
mysql> select S_HAUTEUR from t_liens where PK_LIENS=5;
+-------------------+
| S_HAUTEUR |
+-------------------+
|         0          |
+-------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
+---------------------+------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+

+---------------------+------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
 | S_HAUTEUR  | int(11)         | NO  |      | 0

The program compiles fine but at runtime it crushes with:
------
Fatal error, uncatched exception CONSTRAINT_ERROR
Message: gnu-db-mysql.adb:1198 range check failed
------
Ok I've dig in and found that the exception is raised by the
Get_Field_Type function in gnu-db-mysql.adb and the cause I belive is
that the actual mysql type for this field does not have a coresponding
type in the enumeration Mysql_Field_Types.

So, if anyone from gnade see this please enlight me. Also he may tell
as what is the status of the mailling list gnade-devel cause I've got
no answer from the moderator after
my subscription.

Thanks everyone for your time
Best regards
Alex

On Oct 25, 9:52 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> axu writes:
> > Is GNADE still active ?
> > Their last release dates from january 2005...and I wonder if someone
> > still manages it.
> > If not ..where can I find some database related libraries ?
> > (mysql/postgresql)The CVS repository contains a more recent version, dating back to
> December 2005.  Even though the project seems to be inactive, GNADE is
> mature and production-worthy; you can use it.
>
> There is an alternative called APQ by Warren W. Gray; it supports both
> PostgreSQL and MySQL.  Seehttp://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg/software.html
>
> ... but the last update is September 25, 2004!  I think APQ is also
> mature and quite usable.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GNADE
@ 2006-10-26  8:17   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2006-10-26  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:58:16 +0200, Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 10:25 -0700, axu wrote:
>>  ..where can I find some database related libraries ?
>> (mysql/postgresql)
>
> To add to Ludovic's pointers, you might ask the
> producer of your Ada tool chain. They might have ODBC
> bindings.

ODBC bindings is a part of GNADE. I am using them, successfully so far.

* Re: GNADE
@ 2006-10-26  8:57     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-10-26  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

axu wrote:
> Ok I've dig in and found that the exception is raised by the
> Get_Field_Type function in gnu-db-mysql.adb and the cause I belive is
> that the actual mysql type for this field does not have a coresponding
> type in the enumeration Mysql_Field_Types.

Maybe this is due to using a version of MySQL more recent than the one
GNADE was tested on. Could you tell us the version of GNADE and the
version of MySQL you use?  Also, the query you're sending is
database-neutral; it does not require anything specific to MySQL, so
maybe you'd be better off using the generic ODBC interface rather than
the MySQL-specific interface.

Since the gnade-devel mailing list seems dead indeed, comp.lang.ada is
a good fallback solution; maybe the GNADE developers, seeing revived
interest in the project, will wake up :)

Please feel free to submit patches to the SourceForge project. I'm not
a GNADE developer myself but I'll apply your patches to the Debian
package that I maintain.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: GNADE
@ 2006-10-26  9:48     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-10-26  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"axu" <alex.crivat@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for your answers :)
> But ! ;)
> The reason I've asked this was becaus I spent the whole day trying to
> use in some way the native binding of GNADE to mysql. Obviously I've
> missed something so I'll abuse of your kindness and post my program
> here. If you see any problems please kik me in the head :)

You should ask on the GNADE mailing list.

I have used GNADE with ODBC bindings (although not recently); that
seems easier to use, and allows you to switch back ends if you want.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GNADE
@ 2006-10-26 10:01     ` axu
From: axu @ 2006-10-26 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry my question was about mysql bindings. I'm not hard headed, I will
probably end up using odbc, but I wanted to see if anyone got the same
problems...
thanks

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:58:16 +0200, Georg Bauhaus wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 10:25 -0700, axu wrote:
> >>  ..where can I find some database related libraries ?
> >> (mysql/postgresql)
> >
> > To add to Ludovic's pointers, you might ask the
> > producer of your Ada tool chain. They might have ODBC
> > bindings.
>
> ODBC bindings is a part of GNADE. I am using them, successfully so far.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

* Re: GNADE
@ 2006-10-26 10:04       ` axu
From: axu @ 2006-10-26 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've tryed to subscribe to the list but i havent got the aprooval of
the moderator after 24hours already..so I've tryed here.

Stephen Leake wrote:
> "axu" <alex.crivat@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks for your answers :)
> > But ! ;)
> > The reason I've asked this was becaus I spent the whole day trying to
> > use in some way the native binding of GNADE to mysql. Obviously I've
> > missed something so I'll abuse of your kindness and post my program
> > here. If you see any problems please kik me in the head :)
>
> You should ask on the GNADE mailing list.
>
> I have used GNADE with ODBC bindings (although not recently); that
> seems easier to use, and allows you to switch back ends if you want.
>

> --
> -- Stephe

* Re: GNADE
@ 2006-10-26 10:17       ` axu
From: axu @ 2006-10-26 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sure that is the problem...
I use mysql 5.0.22 with gnade 1.5.3b
I would try the CVS but I thik I will got the same issue cause the
files related to mysql native bindings haven't been updated since 17
months ago. That is more then a year so if I'm not mistaking mysql5 was
not realeased then.
Well that's it then...I guess odbc it is...:(
I wonder how this will affect performance ...but..I'll do it the
microsoft way...if it works it does not meter how !! :DD

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> axu wrote:
> > Ok I've dig in and found that the exception is raised by the
> > Get_Field_Type function in gnu-db-mysql.adb and the cause I belive is
> > that the actual mysql type for this field does not have a coresponding
> > type in the enumeration Mysql_Field_Types.
>
> Maybe this is due to using a version of MySQL more recent than the one
> GNADE was tested on. Could you tell us the version of GNADE and the
> version of MySQL you use?  Also, the query you're sending is
> database-neutral; it does not require anything specific to MySQL, so
> maybe you'd be better off using the generic ODBC interface rather than
> the MySQL-specific interface.
>
> Since the gnade-devel mailing list seems dead indeed, comp.lang.ada is
> a good fallback solution; maybe the GNADE developers, seeing revived
> interest in the project, will wake up :)
>
> Please feel free to submit patches to the SourceForge project. I'm not
> a GNADE developer myself but I'll apply your patches to the Debian
> package that I maintain.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

* GNADE
@ 2018-12-08 23:19 lyttlec
From: lyttlec @ 2018-12-08 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a project that needs a database. The best option for the project
would be to interface to sqlite3. I've tried to build GNADE, but the
build fails on multiple errors in the *.gps files.
Is there an update to GNADE or its build files available?
If not is there another means of interfacing to an external database?
Thanks

* Re: GNADE
@ 2018-12-09  0:14 ` julian.fondren
From: julian.fondren @ 2018-12-09  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 5:19:06 PM UTC-6, lyttlec wrote:
> I have a project that needs a database. The best option for the project
> would be to interface to sqlite3. I've tried to build GNADE, but the
> build fails on multiple errors in the *.gps files.
> Is there an update to GNADE or its build files available?
> If not is there another means of interfacing to an external database?
> Thanks

I haven't tried any of these, but looking around I found

https://github.com/jrmarino/AdaBase
https://github.com/stcarrez/ada-ado

* Re: GNADE
@ 2018-12-09  0:40 ` Jere
From: Jere @ 2018-12-09  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 6:19:06 PM UTC-5, lyttlec wrote:
> I have a project that needs a database. The best option for the project
> would be to interface to sqlite3. I've tried to build GNADE, but the
> build fails on multiple errors in the *.gps files.
> Is there an update to GNADE or its build files available?
> If not is there another means of interfacing to an external database?
> Thanks

Dmitry's Simple Components has ODBC bindings which can be used
with a lot of databases.  It also has sqlite bindings.  Additionally,
it provides persistent data structures which can be used as databases.

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm

* Re: GNADE
@ 2018-12-09  8:33 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2018-12-09  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

lyttlec <lyttlec@removegmail.com> writes:

> I have a project that needs a database. The best option for the project
> would be to interface to sqlite3. I've tried to build GNADE, but the
> build fails on multiple errors in the *.gps files.
> Is there an update to GNADE or its build files available?
> If not is there another means of interfacing to an external database?

You should be able to use gnatcoll-db. The sqlite support is provided as
part of at least GNAT GPL 2017, though not in macOS CE 2018 release, &
would need building from source (the CE 2018 release includes
gnatcoll-core, so -bindings, -gmp and -db have a solid foundation).

For documentation, see [1].

To get the source you can download from Adacore[2] or Github[3].

[1] http://docs.adacore.com/live/wave/gnatcoll/html/gnatcoll_ug/sql.html
[2] https://www.adacore.com/download/more
[3] https://github.com/AdaCore/gnatcoll-db

* GNADE
@ 2018-12-10 18:41 ` Maxim Reznik
From: Maxim Reznik @ 2018-12-10 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

If your project uses Unicode take a look at Matreshka project. It has drivers for several DB and common API.

http://forge.ada-ru.org/matreshka/wiki/SQL