From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Array problem
Date: 25 May 2002 04:30:04 -0700
Date: 2002-05-25T11:30:04+00:00	[thread overview]

Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message news:<slrnaetfpu.333.randhol+abuse@kiuk0156.chembio.ntnu.no>...

I see a lot of posts recently where people are in my opinion
harming students by doing their homework for them. You would
be surprised how many students manage to do their assignments
by the following algorithm.

  {Write some rubbish approximation to the right code}

  while not ready to hand in yet do

    Ask someone for their help
    Get back improved code, and some helpful discussion
    Ignore the helpful discussion
    Replace old code with new improved code

  end loop;

And the result is that students can complete assignments knowing
nothing at all about what they are doing. The important learning
experience of an assignment comes from tackling problems yourself.

So I would urge those in CLA who want to be helpful to stick to
helpful discussions, and NOT to provide improved code or too
detailed an analysis of what the problem is.