* parser generators
@ 1993-04-17  4:08 elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!swrinde!emory!news-feed-1.peachnet.edu!umn.edu!csus.ed
From: elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!swrinde!emory!news-feed-1.peachnet.edu!umn.edu!csus.ed @ 1993-04-17  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why do I see so much guff about parser generators for ada.  You all
have access to bison.  Just muck with the bison code and make it
produce ada.  You also have to translate the bison skeleton source as
well but this isn't too hard.

* Re: parser generators
@ 1993-04-19 14:24 Alex Blakemore
From: Alex Blakemore @ 1993-04-19 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mjsC5M0tE.KBC@netcom.com> mjs@netcom.com (Mark Schimmel) writes:
> Why do I see so much guff about parser generators for ada.  You all
> have access to bison.  Just muck with the bison code and make it
> produce ada.  You also have to translate the bison skeleton source as
> well but this isn't too hard.

this is exactly the kind of thing several people have done.
maybe starting from yacc instead of bison.
there's no reason for everybody to do this, hence
the queries.

BTW, if you want to see a nice elegant parser generator -
see the byacc available at Berkeley somewhere -
(dont ask me where, ask archie)

Its small, compact, well designed and readable.
Its the some of the best C code I've ever seen.
If everyone who used C, wrote it like that, I wouldnt object to
the language so much - unfortunately few even come close.

unfortunately, there isnt an Ada version, but I guess there really
doesnt need to be - ayacc works just fine for most purposes.
--
Alex Blakemore       alex@cs.umd.edu        NeXT mail accepted
"Without an engaged and motivated human being at the keyboard,