* C to Ada translator
@ 1983-12-21 13:28 Steven M. Queriolo
From: Steven M. Queriolo @ 1983-12-21 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm contemplating writing a C to Ada translator.  I figure it will
not require any syntax cheking (the C compiler will take care of that)
and I can assume that it will be in portable C (lint will take care
of that).  So it doesn't have to be too sensitive to C coding errors.

If anyone has done some work in this area (or even has a working
translator) I would appreciate the assist.

Thanx in advance and enjoy the holidays!

--
			Steven M. Queriolo
			AT&T Bell Labs, Short Hills

* C to Ada Translator...
@ 1985-08-15 23:18 Eric C. Brown
From: Eric C. Brown @ 1985-08-15 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

We are looking for a C to Ada translator that can translate at least 75 percent
of the C code fed to it.  If anybody knows of such a beast, either public
domain or private sector, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Eric C. Brown
brownc@utah-cs
...!{ihnp4, seismo, decvax}!utah-cs!brownc

* Re: C to Ada Translator...
@ 1985-08-18 14:48 ` Geoffrey M. Clemm
From: Geoffrey M. Clemm @ 1985-08-18 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3445@utah-cs.UUCP> brownc@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric C. Brown) writes:
>We are looking for a C to Ada translator that can translate at least 75 percent
>of the C code fed to it.

If such a beast exists, please post its description to net.lang.ada .
I am planning on writing a primitive version of such a beast in a few
months, but would appreciate not having to do so.

Geoffrey Clemm

* Re: C to Ada Translator...
@ 1985-08-31  1:23 sml
From: sml @ 1985-08-31  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following company claims to do language translations:

Lexeme
Suite 250, Commerce Court
Four Station Square
Pittsbugth, PA  15219-1119

Steve Lazarus			(415) 852-4203
Ford Aerospace			...fortune!wdl1!sml (USENET)
MS X-20				sml@ford-wdl1	    (ARPA)
3939 Fabian Way
Palo Alto, CA  94303

* C to Ada Translator
@ 1989-08-28 17:43 Gary Trimble
From: Gary Trimble @ 1989-08-28 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

We are in need of a (preferrably public domain) C to Ada source code
translator. A simple syntax only translator would be sufficient. Please
email if you have one or a reference to one. Thanks.

Gary M. Trimble

* C to ADA translator
@ 1991-05-17 21:34 Mike Tankenson
From: Mike Tankenson @ 1991-05-17 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

We're looking for an ANSI C to ADA translator, written in ADA, that runs on
a 386/486 POSIX/UNIX host.  Can anyone tell me if such a tool exists?  Are
there other tools that can translate other languages to ADA?  Any help will
be greatly appreciated.

Please respond to the address below, and not via direct reply:

  miket@TSG.COM -or-
  tsghq!miket@uunet.uu.net

Thanks.

--mike

Michael Tankenson                                       Telos Systems Group
4755 Meadow Wood Lane, Suite 200N, Chantilly, VA.  22021
Phone: (703) 802-1730         SPAN-> JPLDIG::"mike@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV"
ARPA-> miket@TSG.COM          UUCP-> ...uunet!tsghq!miket

* Re: c to ada translator
@ 1992-10-23 14:50 cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!csc.ti.com!til
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!csc.ti.com!til @ 1992-10-23 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <1992Oct22.4393.5341@dosgate> "tony ziolkowski" <tony.ziolkowski@canrem.com>
 writes:

>Does anyone out there know of a C to ADA source code translator?

I don't know of one, offhand, but I would suggest not doing this in
the first place.  Any 'conversion' is going to be difficult to
maintain and not take advantage of the features of the language.  Over
the long term, a complete rewrite will be cheaper than trying to
maintain either the C (because you will have to repeatedly convert it,
correct the conversion, etc.) or the converted Ada (because it will be
an incredibly ugly mess).

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live
 in the real world."   -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

* C to Ada translator
@ 1992-11-13  2:07 dog.ee.lbl.gov!hellgate.utah.edu!cs.utexas.edu!usc!news!shrike.irvine.com
From: dog.ee.lbl.gov!hellgate.utah.edu!cs.utexas.edu!usc!news!shrike.irvine.com @ 1992-11-13  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Irvine Compiler Corporation (ICC) has agreed to let me release (in
executable form only for now) the C header file to Ada translator
that I've written.  This is a preliminary trial release to get
feed-back on its Ada portability and performance.  It is my hope that
it will be provided in source form soon.  Please be patient.

As an example of how c2ada works, I'm hoping to include an example
that converts X-windows C header files to Ada entirely automatically.
The translation is fast (approximately 6 seconds for all Xlib files on
an HP-9000/710) and (hopefully) 100% complete.  The generated Ada
files should compile using any Ada compiler that supports pragma
INTERFACE (to C) and pragma INTERFACE_NAME.  I'm also including a
"hello world" program which uses the binding.  You will find more
documentation about the implementation details with the release.

RATIONALE

The C programming language enjoys a great deal of popularity thanks to
its free distribution with the Unix operating system and its early
acceptance among the academic community.  Large amounts of useful
software, libraries and algorithms are freely available to C
programmers just for the asking.  I'd like to provide a means of
making this software base easily accessible to Ada programmers as
well.

DISTRIBUTION

Please send me mail if you would like a copy of the translator.  I
will uuencode and send it to you.  Be sure to provide the type of
machine you'd like it to run on (Sparc, Sun-3, PC, SGI, HP, MIPS,
etc.) and the operating system you're using.  I'm not promising to
have a port for your particular target, so be prepared for a "sorry,
its not ready yet" reply.  I am purposely NOT providing the names of
the currently supported hosts because I'm interested in seeing which
systems are being used for Ada development out there in "net-land".

* C to Ada translator
@ 1992-11-19  0:17 cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.com!elroy.jpl.nasa.go
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.com!elroy.jpl.nasa.go @ 1992-11-19  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can now get the 1st release of Irvine Compilers C header file to
Ada translator via anonymous ftp.  The current distribution may not
include your host, but many ports are being worked on.  The most
notable defficiencies are PC-DOS and PC-OS/2.  These are being worked
on and will hopefully be done shortly.

Now, thanks to SGI, you can get your release via:

% ftp sgi.com

ftp> cd c2ada
ftp> binary
ftp> ls

-rw-rw-r--   1 root     0           3859 Nov 18 15:57 README
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     0         172171 Nov 18 15:57 dec-ultrix.tar.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     0         324980 Nov 18 15:57 hp700.tar.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     0         182456 Nov 18 15:57 mips-RISCos.tar.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     0          91937 Nov 18 15:57 rios.tar.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     0         198804 Nov 18 15:57 sgi.tar.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     0         350977 Nov 18 15:57 sparc.tar.Z
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     0         101447 Nov 18 15:57 sun3.tar.Z

ftp> get sparc.tar.Z
ftp> bye

% uncompress sparc.tar
% tar -xf sparc.tar
% ls sparc

Make.deps         c2ada*            cpp*              x11.inc
Makefile          c2ada.1           hello_world.ada
README            cfront*           x11.ada
c.ada             cfront.1          x11.c

I'd be interrested in your reaction to this tool (both positive and
negative).  Your input will affect future revisions.

* Re: C to Ada translator
@ 1993-05-21 23:05 Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 1993-05-21 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4514@creatures.cs.vt.edu> dorseyev@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (Edward V. Dors
ey IV) writes:

>I enlist your aid in finding a C to Ada compiler. Personally, I would
>prefer a manual reengineering effort, but I am told that for demo
>purposes, a translator is appropriate, so I need to find one.

Would you mind telling us what is being demoed, that C code is not satis-
factory but C translated to Ada is?

				Charlie

* Re: C to Ada translator
@ 1993-05-24 19:04 Robert Kitzberger
From: Robert Kitzberger @ 1993-05-24 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

 From the FAQ:

21) Where can I get language translators?

      The AdaIC maintains a Products and Tools Database on its
      bulletin board (703-614-0215), and one of the categories is
      translators.  (The list of products should not be considered
      exhaustive; if you wish to suggest additions, please contact the
      AdaIC.) Besides access to the database via the bulletin
      board, you can also call the AdaIC (800-AdaIC-11 or 703/685-
      1477) and ask for a customized search.

      In addition to all the usual caveats, however, it should also be
      noted that translation itself is a controversial issue.

      When a project makes the transition to Ada from some other
      language, one question that arises is whether to translate older
      code into Ada.  Among the immediate considerations are how much
      of the code can in fact be translated by a program intended for
      that purpose, versus how much will still require re-coding by
      hand.  And will the translated code will suffer a significant
      loss in speed of execution?  Further, a project must consider
      whether the translated code will reflect sound software
      engineering and be readily understandable and modifiable.  Or
      will it be merely "Fortranized Ada" or "Cobolized Ada", or the
      like, possibly retaining limitations present in the earlier
      code?  Portability is also a problem.

      The resolution of such issues will require an understanding of
      the earlier code, an appreciation of the similarities and
      differences between its language and Ada, and an evaluation of
      the translation program under consideration.

Bob Kitzberger                          Internet:   rlk@rational.com
Rational, Grass Valley, CA              CompuServe: 70743,1550
type Opinion is private;

* Re: C to Ada translator
@ 1993-05-24 23:53 Laurence VanDolsen
From: Laurence VanDolsen @ 1993-05-24 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <rlk.738270271@pelton> rlk@pelton.Rational.COM (Robert Kitzberger) w
rites:

>      In addition to all the usual caveats, however, it should also be
>      noted that translation itself is a controversial issue.

[deleted interesting and valid observations]

>      The resolution of such issues will require an understanding of
>      the earlier code, an appreciation of the similarities and
>      differences between its language and Ada, and an evaluation of
>      the translation program under consideration.

One point often missed is that the organizations contemplating such
translation are frequently just starting into Ada usage and may have no
one on staff qualified to make this judgement.  If in doubt, rent an
expert to help make the decision.

Laurence L. Van Dolsen - Der fliegender Hollander
My opinions are my own, but you are welcome to them.
Paramax - (805) 987-9302 - vandolsen@cam.paramax.com

* C to Ada translator
@ 1993-07-01 19:03 John D Stanhope
From: John D Stanhope @ 1993-07-01 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

	I am working on a project to study the feasibility
of converting C to Ada and would like to know if this has
already been done.  I would prefer something in the public
domain. As of right now we're using gawk and sed scripts to
change the very basic syntax of C to Ada.

		Thank you
		John Stanhope

* Re: C to Ada translator
@ 1993-07-02 22:11 news
From: news @ 1993-07-02 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Jul1.190357.24862@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, jds@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Jo
hn D Stanhope) writes:

*	I am working on a project to study the feasibility
*of converting C to Ada and would like to know if this has
*already been done.  I would prefer something in the public
*domain. As of right now we're using gawk and sed scripts to
*change the very basic syntax of C to Ada.
*		John Stanhope

You'd do a lot better for yourself with an Ada --> C translater.  As I
hear it, the mandate's about to be dropped, and the whole useless community
associated with the Ada programming language is going to have to find
honest jobs.

Are you the same D. Stanhope from ERG?

--
Ted Holden
HTE

* Re: C to Ada translator
@ 1993-07-03  4:32 agate!howland.reston.ans.net!usc!sdd.hp.com!portal!cup.portal.com!Lee_Rob
From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!usc!sdd.hp.com!portal!cup.portal.com!Lee_Rob @ 1993-07-03  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

>	I am working on a project to study the feasibility
>of converting C to Ada and would like to know if this has
>already been done.  I would prefer something in the public
>domain. As of right now we're using gawk and sed scripts to
>change the very basic syntax of C to Ada.
>
>		Thank you
>		John Stanhope

Yes, this has been done.  A friend of mine, Brian Holmes, did
this for his masters thesis.  Unfortunately Brian is not on the
net.  You can reach him at:

   Brian G Holmes
   Via Giordano 71-10
   Sestri Ponete
   16155 Genova, Italy

Lee      Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com

* Re: C to Ada translator
@ 1993-07-07 19:44 psinntp!shellgate!jon%shell.com
From: psinntp!shellgate!jon%shell.com @ 1993-07-07 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>	I am working on a project to study the feasibility
>>of converting C to Ada and would like to know if this has
>>already been done.

OK, someone else already mentioned it, but what about Ada to C or C++?
I've already got the lead on G2i, and have contacted them.  Anybody
else do this, or have some device to do it?

Jon Holdman, jon@shell.com

* Re: C to Ada translator
@ 2000-04-03  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <08f91f9a.7b10df6a@usw-ex0102-015.remarq.com>,
Jon Bravo <jonbravoNOjoSPAM@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for a C/C++ to Ada translator. I'm working on an
> NT 4.0 platform. Thanks in advance.

What exactly are you looking to translate? If its just header files,
there are some tools around that can do at least some of the job. If its
working source code, you'd probably be better off interfacing to it if
you can.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: C to Ada translator
@ 2000-04-03  0:00 Jon Bravo
From: Jon Bravo @ 2000-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Actually, I'm trying to come up with a set of bindings to some C
packages. There are quite a few though and I don't really want to
do them all manually. So what I'm looking for is a tool to take C
headers and create some bindings to the C funtions and convert
the types. Is there something along those lines available?

Thanks
Jon

* C to Ada translator
@ 2000-04-03  0:00 Jon Bravo
From: Jon Bravo @ 2000-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-04-04  0:00 ` Gisle S�lensminde
From: Gisle S�lensminde @ 2000-04-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1cf7a775.23d68a0e@usw-ex0104-028.remarq.com>, Jon Bravo wrote:
> Actually, I'm trying to come up with a set of bindings to some C
>packages. There are quite a few though and I don't really want to
>do them all manually. So what I'm looking for is a tool to take C
>headers and create some bindings to the C funtions and convert
>the types. Is there something along those lines available?

c2ada does this. It is intended to do "80% of the job" in the
process of creating a binding. It is a link to it on
http://www.adapower.com/reuse/, and if you use Linux there is
an RPM on Aidan Skinners pages
http://www.skinner.demon.co.uk/aidan/programming/

Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies

* Re: C to Ada translator
@ 2000-04-04  0:00 ` Dmitriy Anisimkov
From: Dmitriy Anisimkov @ 2000-04-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Bravo wrote:

>  Actually, I'm trying to come up with a set of bindings to some C
> packages

Try CBind. I've ported it to Win32 platform
http://cgi.tripod.com/vagul