* A little smile...
@ 2009-06-15 20:27 mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2009-06-15 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

...for you Ada fellows.  [Do not take me too seriously... :-)]
 While goofling around (fooling around with Google) I found  this
quote _from_a_C++_book_

   "Used without discipline, C++ can lead to code that is
incomprehensible, unmaintainable, inextensible, inefficient, and just
plain wrong." -- Scott Meyers, Effective C++

Hmmm... Why am I experiencing such a cozy feeling? (You know, like
being in front of a fireplace when outside a blizzard is going on? ;-)

By the way, the original source
http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showpost.php?s=6b345ba1eb5f1cccdc49c7129d015771&p=2683237&postcount=1

has another interesting quote (from a C/C++ programmer, according to
the post)

    "Writing in C is like handing a loaded gun with a hair-trigger to
a kid: more than likely, it's going to go off and hurt you. Writing in
C++ is like handing a hand grenade with the pin already pulled to a
kid: without a doubt, it's going to go off and hurt a lot of people."

* Re: A little smile...
@ 2009-06-15 21:29 ` Donald P
From: Donald P @ 2009-06-15 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 15, 1:27 pm, mockturtle <framefri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...for you Ada fellows.  [Do not take me too seriously... :-)]
>  While goofling around (fooling around with Google) I found  this
> quote _from_a_C++_book_
>
>    "Used without discipline, C++ can lead to code that is
> incomprehensible, unmaintainable, inextensible, inefficient, and just
> plain wrong." -- Scott Meyers, Effective C++
>
> Hmmm... Why am I experiencing such a cozy feeling? (You know, like
> being in front of a fireplace when outside a blizzard is going on? ;-)
>
> By the way, the original sourcehttp://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showpost.php?s=6b345ba1eb5f1cccdc49...
>
> has another interesting quote (from a C/C++ programmer, according to
> the post)
>
>     "Writing in C is like handing a loaded gun with a hair-trigger to
> a kid: more than likely, it's going to go off and hurt you. Writing in
> C++ is like handing a hand grenade with the pin already pulled to a
> kid: without a doubt, it's going to go off and hurt a lot of people."

Apparently, even with God on his side, the author of TFA can't write
decent C++ code. :)

* Re: A little smile...
@ 2009-06-16  1:40 ` Brian
From: Brian @ 2009-06-16  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

<snip>
>   "Used without discipline, C++ can lead to code that is
> incomprehensible, unmaintainable, inextensible, inefficient, and just
> plain wrong." -- Scott Meyers, Effective C++
</snip>

"Used WITH discipline,  same thing!" -- Brian Salter, Defective C++

* Re: A little smile...
@ 2009-06-16  6:38   ` stefan-lucks
From: stefan-lucks @ 2009-06-16  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Brian wrote:

> <snip>
> >   "Used without discipline, C++ can lead to code that is
> > incomprehensible, unmaintainable, inextensible, inefficient, and just
> > plain wrong." -- Scott Meyers, Effective C++
> </snip>
>
> "Used WITH discipline,  same thing!" -- Brian Salter, Defective C++

That is the difference. In Ada, you begin writing your program by typing
the line

with Discipline; use Discipline;

and then your program is comprehensible, maintainable, extensible,
efficient, and just plainly the right thing. ;-)

Thus, I urgently need Discipline! Where can I download spec and body?

To be honest and fair, any programming language can lead to code that is
incomprehensible and so on, when used without discipline.

--
------ Stefan Lucks   --  Bauhaus-University Weimar  --   Germany  ------
               Stefan dot Lucks at uni minus weimar dot de

* Re: A little smile...
@ 2009-06-16  7:43   ` MRE
From: MRE @ 2009-06-16  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Jun., 03:40, "Brian" <phaedrus...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>>   "Used without discipline, C++ can lead to code that is
> > incomprehensible, unmaintainable, inextensible, inefficient, and just
> > plain wrong." -- Scott Meyers, Effective C++
>
> </snip>
>
> "Used WITH discipline,  same thing!" -- Brian Salter, Defective C++

Could this be an approach to improving Ada's popularity? Tell
everybody, that
usage of Ada can wreak havoc and is restricted only to REAL
programmers? ;-)

Regards,

Marc

* Re: A little smile...
@ 2009-06-16  9:17     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2009-06-16  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

MRE schrieb:

> Could this be an approach to improving Ada's popularity? Tell
> everybody, that
> usage of Ada can wreak havoc and is restricted only to REAL
> programmers? ;-)

A number of facilities in Ada are making progress
towards a pre-STL way of programming by indirection.
For example, more anonymous things and ad hoc pointers
(anonymous access). :->

* Re: A little smile...
@ 2009-06-16 13:41     ` Britt
From: Britt @ 2009-06-16 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 16, 1:38 am, stefan-lu...@see-the.signature wrote:

<snip>

> Thus, I urgently need Discipline! Where can I download

http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/spark-gpl-edition/

* Re: A little smile...
@ 2009-06-16 15:45     ` Adam Beneschan
From: Adam Beneschan @ 2009-06-16 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 16, 12:43 am, MRE <Marc.Enzm...@web.de> wrote:
> On 16 Jun., 03:40, "Brian" <phaedrus...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > <snip>>   "Used without discipline, C++ can lead to code that is
> > > incomprehensible, unmaintainable, inextensible, inefficient, and just
> > > plain wrong." -- Scott Meyers, Effective C++
>
> > </snip>
>
> > "Used WITH discipline,  same thing!" -- Brian Salter, Defective C++
>
> Could this be an approach to improving Ada's popularity? Tell
> everybody, that
> usage of Ada can wreak havoc and is restricted only to REAL
> programmers? ;-)

It might help, but it wouldn't be enough.  I think we'd also have to
eliminate all the keywords and replace them with sequences of
punctuation characters.  :)

                          -- Adam