* Whither (or wither) AdaHome? (was: Choose Ada flyer)
@ 1998-12-15  0:00   ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-12-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <F40Ln9.35H.0.-s@inmet.camb.inmet.com>,
  stt@houdini.camb.inmet.com (Tucker Taft) wrote:

> My understanding is that www.adahome.com is no longer being maintained.
> But even so, we probably ought to mention it, given its wealth of
> material.

That does seem to be the case. The last entry in the "News" page was put up
in February. The last peep we heard from Magnus Kempe here was in June of 97.
Does anyone know exactly what has happened to either? I'd hate to think such
a wonderful resource is just going to slowly drift into obsolescence.
Information growing stale, links going invalid...

--
T.E.D.

* Re: Whither (or wither) AdaHome? (was: Choose Ada flyer)
@ 1998-12-15  0:00     ` Stanley R. Allen
From: Stanley R. Allen @ 1998-12-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dennison@telepath.com wrote:

> In article <F40Ln9.35H.0.-s@inmet.camb.inmet.com>,
>   stt@houdini.camb.inmet.com (Tucker Taft) wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that www.adahome.com is no longer being maintained.
> > But even so, we probably ought to mention it, given its wealth of
> > material.
>
> That does seem to be the case. The last entry in the "News" page was put up
> in February. The last peep we heard from Magnus Kempe here was in June of 97.
> Does anyone know exactly what has happened to either? I'd hate to think such
> a wonderful resource is just going to slowly drift into obsolescence.
> Information growing stale, links going invalid...

I went there just now (GMT Wed Dec 16 00:00): the last "headline"
was five days ago, Dec 10, 1998, and a few other headlines were
posted July 1998.

This year apparently has been busy for Magnus, but it seems that
there is some intermittent maintenance going.

--
Stanley Allen
mailto:srallen@hti.com

* Re: Whither (or wither) AdaHome? (was: Choose Ada flyer)
@ 1998-12-15  0:00     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1998-12-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know the page was changed for Dec 10, Ada's birthday.

David Botton

dennison@telepath.com wrote in message <756q6a$3vd$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>In article <F40Ln9.35H.0.-s@inmet.camb.inmet.com>,
>  stt@houdini.camb.inmet.com (Tucker Taft) wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that www.adahome.com is no longer being maintained.
>> But even so, we probably ought to mention it, given its wealth of
>> material.
>
>That does seem to be the case. The last entry in the "News" page was put up
>in February. The last peep we heard from Magnus Kempe here was in June of
97.
>Does anyone know exactly what has happened to either? I'd hate to think
such
>a wonderful resource is just going to slowly drift into obsolescence.
>Information growing stale, links going invalid...
>
>--
>T.E.D.

* Re: Choose Ada flyer
       [not found] <36771d4c.2157661@news.geccs.gecm.com>
@ 1998-12-15  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1998-12-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Orpin (abuse@borpin.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:38:13 GMT, stt@houdini.camb.inmet.com (Tucker
: Taft) wrote:

: >Ada has an active user community (www.acm.org/sigada), newsgroup
: >(comp.lang.ada), web-site (www.adaic.org), and is taught at colleges
: >and universities throughout the world (www.acm.org/sigada/education).
: >Ada is supported by a strong vendor community, represented by the Ada
: >Resource Association (www.adaresource.org), including Ada Core Technologies
: >(www.gnat.com), Aonix (www.aonix.com), AverStar/Intermetrics
: >(www.averstar.com), DDC-I (www.ddci.com), Green Hills Software (www.ghs.com),
: >OC Systems (www.ocsystems.com), and Rational Software (www.rational.com).

: I find it odd that www.adahome.com isn't mentioned.  Any particular
: reason?

My understanding is that www.adahome.com is no longer being maintained.
But even so, we probably ought to mention it, given its wealth of
material.

: Brian Orpin  **Reply to address is valid***

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Intermetrics, Inc.  Burlington, MA  USA

* Re: Whither (or wither) AdaHome? (was: Choose Ada flyer)
@ 1998-12-16  0:00       ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-12-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3676FF08.766E5C5C@hso.link.com>,
  "Stanley R. Allen" <s_allen@hso.link.com> wrote:

> I went there just now (GMT Wed Dec 16 00:00): the last "headline"
> was five days ago, Dec 10, 1998, and a few other headlines were
> posted July 1998.

I think that "five day old" headline has been there all year! The date after
it has been changed to 1998-12-10, but the name of the link itself is
http://www.adahome.com/articles/1997-12/al_birthday.html (note the "1997").

Nonetheless, I suppose the fact that the date got changed at all is a sign of
human habitation.

--
T.E.D.

* Updating AdaHome (was: Choose Ada flyer)
@ 1998-12-16  0:00     ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-12-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <36780559.D0AAF845@adahome.com>,
  Magnus Kempe <mkempe@artemedia.ch> wrote:

> Unfortunately, it is difficult to find people who work for free year
> after year, even to expand and improve a popular Web site.
>
> Now that the US government/DoD has stopped giving money to the
> AJPO/AdaIC for Web presence, maybe there are companies willing to
> sponsor the work that is needed to maintain such a site.

I was just about to suggest you just start accepting update submissions from
the public at large. Editing a web page is fairly easy with the newer
versions of Netscape. Then I stumbled across
http://www.adahome.com/HBAP/Submission.html .

Perhaps a large part of the problem is that its not well publicized that folks
can do this. Hmmm....the copyright notice at the bottom of the page seems to
prohibit any submissions that include the previous contents of an AdaHome page
(that would be a "reproduction in part", right?) That would make submitting a
modification a copyright violation! Perhaps a clarification is in order.

You might even be able to get some major tasks done for free, if you let it be
known what needs doing.

> Santa Claus, are you out there?

It is nearing the end of the year. All you compiler and tool vendors out there
need to start thinking about spending some extra advertising dough in order to
raise your business' advertising tax deductions...

--
T.E.D.

* Re: Choose Ada flyer
@ 1998-12-16  0:00     ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1998-12-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Magnus Kempe (mkempe@artemedia.ch) wrote:
: > : I find it odd that www.adahome.com isn't mentioned.  Any particular
: > : reason?
: >
: > My understanding is that www.adahome.com is no longer being maintained.

: Incorrect.  The Ada Home is still being maintained.

Glad to hear it.

: Unfortunately, it is difficult to find people who work for free year
: after year, even to expand and improve a popular Web site.

: Now that the US government/DoD has stopped giving money to the
: AJPO/AdaIC for Web presence, maybe there are companies willing to
: sponsor the work that is needed to maintain such a site.

: Santa Claus, are you out there?

You are performing a valuable service.  You might be able to find
some organizations that are significant users of Ada who would
help sponsor your web-site in exchange for some added visibility on
your site.

Although the Ada Resource Association already has its own web site,
we might be able to pitch in something as well, since there is no
point in trying to fully replicate the information you already have.

: Merry Xmas,

: Magnus Kempe
: <editor@adahome.com>

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, AverStar (formerly Intermetrics, Inc.)  (www.averstar.com)

and President, Ada Resource Association.

* Re: Choose Ada flyer
@ 1998-12-16  0:00   ` Magnus Kempe
From: Magnus Kempe @ 1998-12-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> : I find it odd that www.adahome.com isn't mentioned.  Any particular
> : reason?
>
> My understanding is that www.adahome.com is no longer being maintained.

Incorrect.  The Ada Home is still being maintained.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to find people who work for free year
after year, even to expand and improve a popular Web site.

Now that the US government/DoD has stopped giving money to the
AJPO/AdaIC for Web presence, maybe there are companies willing to
sponsor the work that is needed to maintain such a site.

Santa Claus, are you out there?

Merry Xmas,

Magnus Kempe
<editor@adahome.com>