* Should c.l.ada group split
@ 1998-12-21  0:00 Mark Fisher
From: Mark Fisher @ 1998-12-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

After having followed the discussions in this group
over the past months, I wonder is partitioning
the newsgroups along the following lines

.83.language
.83.tools
.83.tools compilers
.95.core
95.real-time-annex
etc

Mark

* Re: Should c.l.ada group split
@ 1998-12-21  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1998-12-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <75md0v$n3p$1@plug.news.pipex.net>, "Mark Fisher" <xuq39@dial.pipex.com> writes:
> After having followed the discussions in this group
> over the past months, I wonder is partitioning
> the newsgroups along the following lines
>
> .83.language
> .83.tools
> .83.tools compilers
> .95.core
> 95.real-time-annex
> etc

I do not think it would be a good idea:

	1. there is not enough traffic
	2. there is a high rate of people who would not put their
		post in the proper group anyway because they are
		not regular participants.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Should c.l.ada group split
@ 1998-12-22  0:00 ` dewarr
From: dewarr @ 1998-12-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

  "Mark Fisher" <xuq39@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> After having followed the discussions in this group
> over the past months, I wonder is partitioning
> the newsgroups along the following lines
>
> .83.language
> .83.tools
> .83.tools compilers
> .95.core
> 95.real-time-annex

Well I guess a "few months" is not long enough to have
been around when this subject was discussed previously,
but the general feeling is that the traffic is too low
to warrant this kind of splitting, and as always, threads
wander too widely to compartmenatlize them.

Now if we could divide the group into

comp.lang.ada.interesting-sensible-stuff
comp.lang.ada.garbage-and-spam

now that would be useful :-)

* Re: Should c.l.ada group split
@ 1998-12-22  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-12-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <75md0v$n3p$1@plug.news.pipex.net>,
  "Mark Fisher" <xuq39@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> After having followed the discussions in this group
> over the past months, I wonder is partitioning
> the newsgroups along the following lines

c.l.a only gets about 30 postings a day. A group with much less traffic than
that will reach the point where its not really useful for anyone.

--
T.E.D.