* gnat friendly Linux Distribution
@ 1998-12-23  0:00 Srinivasan, R
From: Srinivasan, R @ 1998-12-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a particular Linux distribution to prefer (or to avoid) to host Ada
95 development - using gnat? The choices I am considering are :
RH2/Debian/Suse. I am particularly interested in gdb and some gui
development.

regards

srini
r.srinivasan@eudoramail.com

* Re: gnat friendly Linux Distribution
@ 1998-12-23  0:00 ` Juergen Pfeifer
From: Juergen Pfeifer @ 1998-12-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The order is  Debian > SuSE > RedHat

Debian has 3.10p supported, the brandnew SuSE according to their
package list supports outdated 3.09 (although they claim to support
the most actual gnat version) and RH doesn't support gnat at all.
Nevertheless you can get 3.10 packes for RH (and SuSE).
The nice thing with Debian is that they separated gnat from gcc.
You have to use the command "gnatgcc" (although the better advice
is always to use gnatmake) to compile Ada sources, but the gnat
installation no longer interferes with gcc or egcs installs.
I did build something similar for RH and I guess the close to be
released 3.11p will be available for RH.

Juergen

Srinivasan, R schrieb in Nachricht <75r2ja$ekv$1@nw001t.infi.net>...

@ 1998-12-24  0:00 ` dewar
From: dewar @ 1998-12-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <75r2ja$ekv$1@nw001t.infi.net>,
  "Srinivasan, R" <gitas@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:
> Is there a particular Linux distribution to prefer (or to
> avoid) to host Ada
> 95 development - using gnat? The choices I am considering
> are :
> RH2/Debian/Suse.

The official distribution of GNAT from ACT is targetted at
Red Hat Linux. Version 3.10 was designed to be compatible
with RH version 4, and Version 3.11 is designed to be
compatible with RH version 5. Unless you are planning on
furious work over the holidays, I would wait for version
3.11, and then plan to use it with RH 5.

There has in the past also been a nice adaptation for
Debian, which we would expect to also happen for 3.11,
so if you prefer Debian that's probably fine too. I don't
know the status of GNAT with other versions of Linux.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies