* Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-06-30  3:23 Andrew Shvets
From: Andrew Shvets @ 2018-06-30  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

In 2016, I published an introductory Ada book as an e-book.  This time around, I have created a second version of this book, located here: https://amzn.to/2KC3Zic

This is what the second edition has:
- It's in print.  You can buy a printed version.  I've read programming e-books before, but mostly it has been a question if my screen/monitor was large enough to correctly display the source-code (it often was, but was impossible on an iPhone).
- I added a chapter on networking.  Networking is something that I'm working on improving my understanding.  Only after I sufficiently understood how to implement examples in Ada did I add this to my next book.
- There is a chapter on how to build libraries. Packages and methods are great for encapsulating code and making it more reuseable. However, not having to re-compile the code is simply phenomenal.
- There is a chapter on proofs.  In my previous book, this was a part of a chapter.  In this book, it is a chapter.  Such an important topic earned its own chapter.
- I had a professional editor looked over the book. After my first attempt, I realized that there is plenty of room for improvement in subsequent versions. As a result, I hired a professional to give me invaluable input on specific things that I can do better.

I'm open to sending PDFs as review copies, please send your requests to:
introductory dot ada at gmail dot com

Thank you for those -- on this mailing list -- who have helped me better understand Ada!

--Andrew

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-04 12:24 ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-07-04 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Super! Will check that!

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-04 12:34   ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-07-04 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 8:24:03 AM UTC-4, Olivier Henley wrote:
> Super! Will check that!

Just bought my copy.

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-04 14:14 ` gerard.gaspard
From: gerard.gaspard @ 2018-07-04 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le samedi 30 juin 2018 05:23:23 UTC+2, Andrew Shvets a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
>
> In 2016, I published an introductory Ada book as an e-book.  This time around, I have created a second version of this book, located here: https://amzn.to/2KC3Zic
>
> This is what the second edition has:
> - It's in print.  You can buy a printed version.  I've read programming e-books before, but mostly it has been a question if my screen/monitor was large enough to correctly display the source-code (it often was, but was impossible on an iPhone).
> - I added a chapter on networking.  Networking is something that I'm working on improving my understanding.  Only after I sufficiently understood how to implement examples in Ada did I add this to my next book.
> - There is a chapter on how to build libraries. Packages and methods are great for encapsulating code and making it more reuseable. However, not having to re-compile the code is simply phenomenal.
> - There is a chapter on proofs.  In my previous book, this was a part of a chapter.  In this book, it is a chapter.  Such an important topic earned its own chapter.
> - I had a professional editor looked over the book. After my first attempt, I realized that there is plenty of room for improvement in subsequent versions. As a result, I hired a professional to give me invaluable input on specific things that I can do better.
>
> I'm open to sending PDFs as review copies, please send your requests to:
> introductory dot ada at gmail dot com
>
> Thank you for those -- on this mailing list -- who have helped me better understand Ada!
>
> --Andrew
A very good exercise to check my mastery of this precious programming language.

Gerard

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-04 15:10   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2018-07-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Le samedi 30 juin 2018 05:23:23 UTC+2, Andrew Shvets a écrit:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > In 2016, I published an introductory Ada book as an e-book. This time
> > around, I have created a second version of this book, located here:
> > https://amzn.to/2KC3Zic
> >
> > This is what the second edition has:
> > - It's in print. You can buy a printed version. I've read programming
> > e-books before, but mostly it has been a question if my screen/monitor was
> > large enough to correctly display the source-code (it often was, but was
> > impossible on an iPhone).
> > - I added a chapter on networking. Networking is something that I'm working
> > on improving my understanding. Only after I sufficiently understood how to
> > implement examples in Ada did I add this to my next book.
> > - There is a chapter on how to build libraries. Packages and methods are
> > great for encapsulating code and making it more reuseable. However, not
> > having to re-compile the code is simply phenomenal.
> > - There is a chapter on proofs. In my previous book, this was a part of a
> > chapter. In this book, it is a chapter. Such an important topic earned its
> > own chapter.
> > - I had a professional editor looked over the book. After my first attempt,
> > I realized that there is plenty of room for improvement in subsequent
> > versions. As a result, I hired a professional to give me invaluable input
> > on specific things that I can do better.
> >
> > I'm open to sending PDFs as review copies, please send your requests to:
> > introductory dot ada at gmail dot com
> >
> > Thank you for those -- on this mailing list -- who have helped me better
> > understand Ada!
> >
> > --Andrew

I bought it.
The Kindle app will not open it on my iPad.

--
Bill Findlay

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-04 15:58     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2018-07-04 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-07-04 17:10, Bill Findlay wrote:
>> Le samedi 30 juin 2018 05:23:23 UTC+2, Andrew Shvets a écrit:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> In 2016, I published an introductory Ada book as an e-book. This time
>>> around, I have created a second version of this book, located here:
>>> https://amzn.to/2KC3Zic
>>>
>>> This is what the second edition has:
>>> - It's in print. You can buy a printed version. I've read programming
>>> e-books before, but mostly it has been a question if my screen/monitor was
>>> large enough to correctly display the source-code (it often was, but was
>>> impossible on an iPhone).
>>> - I added a chapter on networking. Networking is something that I'm working
>>> on improving my understanding. Only after I sufficiently understood how to
>>> implement examples in Ada did I add this to my next book.
>>> - There is a chapter on how to build libraries. Packages and methods are
>>> great for encapsulating code and making it more reuseable. However, not
>>> having to re-compile the code is simply phenomenal.
>>> - There is a chapter on proofs. In my previous book, this was a part of a
>>> chapter. In this book, it is a chapter. Such an important topic earned its
>>> own chapter.
>>> - I had a professional editor looked over the book. After my first attempt,
>>> I realized that there is plenty of room for improvement in subsequent
>>> versions. As a result, I hired a professional to give me invaluable input
>>> on specific things that I can do better.
>>>
>>> I'm open to sending PDFs as review copies, please send your requests to:
>>> introductory dot ada at gmail dot com
>>>
>>> Thank you for those -- on this mailing list -- who have helped me better
>>> understand Ada!
>>>
>>> --Andrew
>
> I bought it.
> The Kindle app will not open it on my iPad.

    https://calibre-ebook.com/download

P.S. There are plug-ins for Calibre to convert Amazon's encrypted AZW3
to MOBI etc, if you want to read it in another reader.

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-04 23:15       ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2018-07-04 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:

>> I bought it.
>> The Kindle app will not open it on my iPad.
>
>    https://calibre-ebook.com/download

Thanks, but I wanted it on the iPad.
I have regretfully returned it for a refund.

--
Bill Findlay

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-05  1:08 ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-07-05  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 10:23:23 PM UTC-5, Andrew Shvets wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> In 2016, I published an introductory Ada book as an e-book.  This time around, I have created a second version of this book, located here: https://amzn.to/2KC3Zic
>
> This is what the second edition has:
> - It's in print.  You can buy a printed version.  I've read programming e-books before, but mostly it has been a question if my screen/monitor was large enough to correctly display the source-code (it often was, but was impossible on an iPhone).
> - I added a chapter on networking.  Networking is something that I'm working on improving my understanding.  Only after I sufficiently understood how to implement examples in Ada did I add this to my next book.
> - There is a chapter on how to build libraries. Packages and methods are great for encapsulating code and making it more reuseable. However, not having to re-compile the code is simply phenomenal.
> - There is a chapter on proofs.  In my previous book, this was a part of a chapter.  In this book, it is a chapter.  Such an important topic earned its own chapter.
> - I had a professional editor looked over the book. After my first attempt, I realized that there is plenty of room for improvement in subsequent versions. As a result, I hired a professional to give me invaluable input on specific things that I can do better.
>
> I'm open to sending PDFs as review copies, please send your requests to:
> introductory dot ada at gmail dot com
>
> Thank you for those -- on this mailing list -- who have helped me better understand Ada!
>
> --Andrew

Andrew, you might want to notify your publisher that your Kindle edition is unusable.  I just tried to download it as one of my monthly Kindle Prime library-borrows, but the downloaded file was unable to open.  (No specific error number or message, sorry.)

Plus your sole Kindle reviewer so far on the 2nd edition has given you a 1-star review for having the same experience.  I am unsure whether that user purchased a Kindle copy or was a borrower too.

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-05  4:47 ` Paul Rubin
From: Paul Rubin @ 2018-07-05  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Shvets <andrew.shvets@gmail.com> writes:
> In 2016, I published an introductory Ada book as an e-book.  This time
> around, I have created a second version of this book

Hi Andrew, this looks nice.  Can you say if it uses Ada 2012?  Does the
part about proofs use Spark 2014?  Thanks.

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-05  7:44         ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2018-07-05  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-07-05 01:15, Bill Findlay wrote:
> Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:

>>> I bought it.
>>> The Kindle app will not open it on my iPad.
>>
>>     https://calibre-ebook.com/download
>
> Thanks, but I wanted it on the iPad.
> I have regretfully returned it for a refund.

I meant that using Calibre on PC or Mac you can convert your book into a
format iPad supports. I suppose it should support MOBI, FB2 etc.

Anyway, it is worth to be able to backup your books. Do you really trust
Amazon never cancel your account, not block your books for certain
devices etc?

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-05 13:47   ` Anatoly Chernyshev
From: Anatoly Chernyshev @ 2018-07-05 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I second that observation. The Kindle version gave me a cover and an empty page. Had to return it for a refund.

@ 2018-07-05 15:40           ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2018-07-05 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 Jul 2018, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote
(in article <phki8n$c1a$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> On 2018-07-05 01:15, Bill Findlay wrote:
> > Dmitry A. Kazakov<mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>  wrote:

> > > https://calibre-ebook.com/download
> >
> > Thanks, but I wanted it on the iPad.
> > I have regretfully returned it for a refund.
>
> I meant that using Calibre on PC or Mac you can convert your book into a
> format iPad supports. I suppose it should support MOBI, FB2 etc.
>
> Anyway, it is worth to be able to backup your books. Do you really trust
> Amazon never cancel your account, not block your books for certain
> devices etc?

The whole iPad is multiply backed up.
--
Bill Findlay

* Re: Introduction to Ada Programming, 2nd Edition
@ 2018-07-06  8:38             ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2018-07-06  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05.07.18 17:40, Bill Findlay wrote:

> The whole iPad is multiply backed up.

Won't help keeping Kindle books your iOS device(s) as long as the
Kindle app is online: Amazon is known to offer what is more aptly
called reading licenses. It may withdraw them, and then the book
gets removed. And again.

So, it's business, and the book will profit from being
properly made.