* How to use gprbuild with FSF GNAT Windows compilers 64 and 32 bit
@ 2015-11-26 20:58 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-11-26 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Currently Windows does not have an FSF GNAT maintainer like Mac and Linux Distros do. Thanksgiving to you all for the hours of hard work for the Ada community, in particular its struggling open source community!.

So, this means those wishing to program on Windows 64bit have no distributions including gprtools and for Windows 32bit only licensed virus varieties. This issue becomes more serious in the wake of deprecation of the gnatmake -p option in future versions of FSF GNAT.

So I'm happy to offer a simple solution :)

How to use that GNAT GPL 2015 gpr tools (which are GPL tools that do not affect/virus the license of the resulting executables) with Win32 or Win64 builds.

1. Install a non-licensed virused version of FSF GNAT for Win32 or Win64 (see http://getadanow.com)
2. Download gpr-tools.zip - http://getadanow.com/gpr-tools.zip
3. Unzip gpr-tools.zip in the base directory of your FSF GNAT install (for example C:\TDM-GCC-64 or /mingw64 for the git for windows sdk)
4. You may need to use gprbuild --target= if you receive the error there are no native compilers for your host. (Use gcc -dumpmachine to get the name of your target).

David Botton

PS - There is some network issues today on thanksgiving and files are being interrupted from my server. If that happens try tomorrow sorry :(

* Re: How to use gprbuild with FSF GNAT Windows compilers 64 and 32 bit
@ 2015-11-26 23:13 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-11-26 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> PS - There is some network issues today on thanksgiving and files are being interrupted from my server. If that happens try tomorrow sorry :(

I've mirrored the files in to the Gnoga repo at https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnoga/files/Windows_Tools/

* Re: How to use gprbuild with FSF GNAT Windows compilers 64 and 32 bit
@ 2015-11-28 22:23 ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2015-11-28 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 3:58:14 PM UTC-5, David Botton wrote:
> So I'm happy to offer a simple solution :)
>
> How to use that GNAT GPL 2015 gpr tools (which are GPL tools that do not affect/virus the license of the resulting executables) with Win32 or Win64 builds.
>
> 1. Install a non-licensed virused version of FSF GNAT for Win32 or Win64 (see http://getadanow.com)
> 2. Download gpr-tools.zip - http://getadanow.com/gpr-tools.zip
> 3. Unzip gpr-tools.zip in the base directory of your FSF GNAT install (for example C:\TDM-GCC-64 or /mingw64 for the git for windows sdk)
> 4. You may need to use gprbuild --target= if you receive the error there are no native compilers for your host. (Use gcc -dumpmachine to get the name of your target).
>
> David Botton

This is awesome!

Licensing question:  Is it that this specific implementation of gpr-tools doesn't make executables fall under the standard GPL license when used or is that true for all implementations (including the one from GNAT GPL from AdaCore that is used with the GPS IDE)?  I.E. can I use GPS, have it link to the AdaCore tools for gprbuild, but also link to the FSF GNAT instead of the AdaCore GNAT and be able to make products with the FSF style license?  Or does the fact that the tools come from AdaCore make them have a different affect on the license?

Realistically, I would still used the tools you are linking with the FSF version of GNAT, but was curious so I know what my options are.

Follow up would be can I then also just use the GPS IDE from AdaCore with the FSF GNAT and above mentioned tools you linked?  Or again, since GPS comes from AdaCore, I would still need to use a different IDE to avoid licensing issues.

My gut says the GPS IDE would be fine, but just my gut.

* Re: How to use gprbuild with FSF GNAT Windows compilers 64 and 32 bit
@ 2015-11-29  2:31   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-11-29  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Licensing question:  Is it that this specific implementation of gpr-tools doesn't make executables fall under the standard GPL license when used or is that true for all implementations (including the one from GNAT GPL from AdaCore that is used with the GPS IDE)?  I.E. can I use GPS, have it link to the AdaCore tools for gprbuild, but also link to the FSF GNAT instead of the AdaCore GNAT and be able to make products with the FSF style license?  Or does the fact that the tools come from AdaCore make them have a different affect on the license?

The way AdaCore encumbers your code is by removing the runtime linking exceptions (this is legal and a "feature" of the GPL runtime exception). As long as you are not using the AdaCore "GPL" runtimes you are code can be under any licenses you choose as per the GPLv3 run time exception.

> Realistically, I would still used the tools you are linking with the FSF version of GNAT, but was curious so I know what my options are.

You could can use FSF GNAT with GPS (I often do) or any other GPL tools and still no licensing issues. You could even use the GPL version until release time and then just recompile with FSF GNAT if you do not with to have a GPL product. However if your final product is under the GPL (I encourage that!) there is no reason in particular to choose FSF GNAT over AdaCore's shareware product. Of course if you fit their target market I highly encourage buying their support product, it helps support GNAT and Ada development, and is in fact the best support I've seen of any compiler anywhere.

The efforts I make to encourage use and development with FSF GNAT has to do with the fact that GPL virused run times damages the greater Ada community by discouraging those not in AdaCore's target market, Open Source developers not wishing to use the GPL, small businesses and startups.

David Botton