* ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017 & 2019) release 1.3
@ 2020-04-18  4:48 alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2020-04-18  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Ada Community

VisualAda version 1.3 has been released

Enhancements include the following

- Added preliminary support for the GNAT Community edition 2019 ARM toolchain
and the associated runtimes.

The runtime that is to be used must be selected in the "Ada RTS" property
located in the "General" property page for the project

Please feel free to download the free plugin from the following URL

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=AlexGamper.VisualAda

Thanks

Alex

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017 & 2019) release 1.3
@ 2020-04-18  6:13 ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2020-04-18  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 2:48:31 PM UTC+10, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Ada Community
>
> VisualAda version 1.3 has been released
>
> Enhancements include the following
>
> - Added preliminary support for the GNAT Community edition 2019 ARM toolchain
> and the associated runtimes.
>
> The runtime that is to be used must be selected in the "Ada RTS" property
> located in the "General" property page for the project
>
> Please feel free to download the free plugin from the following URL
>
> https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=AlexGamper.VisualAda
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

A short youtube video demonstrating the new capabilities can be found here

https://youtu.be/IEMROeNjluY

@ 2020-04-18  7:27   ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2020-04-18  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 11:13:02 PM UTC-7, alby....@gmail.com wrote:

> A short youtube video demonstrating the new capabilities can be found here
>
> https://youtu.be/IEMROeNjluY
>
> Alex

I watched your video. This is a little OT, but does Visual Studio put everything in one window with no overlap between panes?

Jerry

* Re: ANN: VisualAda (Ada Integration for Visual Studio 2017 & 2019) release 1.3
@ 2020-04-18  7:52     ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2020-04-18  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 5:27:58 PM UTC+10, Jerry wrote:
> On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 11:13:02 PM UTC-7, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > A short youtube video demonstrating the new capabilities can be found here
> >
> > https://youtu.be/IEMROeNjluY
> >
> > Alex
>
> I watched your video. This is a little OT, but does Visual Studio put everything in one window with no overlap between panes?
>
> Jerry

Hi Jerry

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "overlap between panes". Most, if not all
windows in VS can be docked, pined, resized to you hearts content. My preference
may not be what you are accustomed to, and that's OK, I was just trying to demo
to VS users what's involved in configuring VS for an ARM build, assuming a user
has some experience using VS.

@ 2020-04-19  0:58       ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2020-04-19  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 12:52:20 AM UTC-7, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 5:27:58 PM UTC+10, Jerry wrote:
> > On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 11:13:02 PM UTC-7, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > A short youtube video demonstrating the new capabilities can be found here
> > >
> > > https://youtu.be/IEMROeNjluY
> > >
> > > Alex
> >
> > I watched your video. This is a little OT, but does Visual Studio put everything in one window with no overlap between panes?
> >
> > Jerry
>
> Hi Jerry
>
> I am not exactly sure what you mean by "overlap between panes". Most, if not all
> windows in VS can be docked, pined, resized to you hearts content. My preference
> may not be what you are accustomed to, and that's OK, I was just trying to demo
> to VS users what's involved in configuring VS for an ARM build, assuming a user
> has some experience using VS.
>
> Alex

There is a trend for several years now to make editors and IDEs, mostly cross platform and not Mac native, with only one window containing multiple panes; you can resize and move the panes within the window but you can't move them outside the window--it's all in one window. Some have tabs per pane but generally the panes don't overlap.  As a result, code windows are way too small as are all the others. You maybe get six visible lines in a terminal or REPL window. It's a little like Windows 1.0 and very bad UI design IMHO, especially for smaller screens such as are on laptop computers.

Jerry