* Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
@ 1993-03-31 13:36 jnestoriak
From: jnestoriak @ 1993-03-31 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>	 "We're hearing calls to abandon Ada from DoD officials",
>	 he said.  "I'm asking contractors to assess it, and
>	 they say it does what's needed, but they can't get
>	 enough programmers".

>Not enough Ada programmers being
>supplied by the free markets.

I've heard this complaint of "not enough Ada programmers" over and
over here.  Is this really the case?  It seems to me that a shortage
of programmers for a particular language is always contrived.  Anyone
who graduates from a decent University with a degree in Computer
Science who can't learn a new programming language in less than a
month must have slept through too many classes.  Is it really
unreasonable to expect employers to give a few weeks of education
to their new hires (whether experience or from school)?  I'd like to
think I'm a genius because I was able to quickly learn "that
terribly complex and hard to understand" language Ada, but I get the
feeling that it's not too rare an ability.

* These opinions are mine only.                     John Nestoriak *

* Re: Proficiency in Ada
@ 1993-04-13 18:45 Michael D Shapiro
From: Michael D Shapiro @ 1993-04-13 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Apr4.032918.783@seas.gwu.edu> mfeldman@uunet.uu.net (Michael Fe
ldman) writes:
>In article <46we2B1w165w@netlink.cts.com> mshapiro@netlink.cts.com (Michael Sh
apiro) writes:

>>There's a difference between learning a language enough to use it and
>>becoming extremely proficient in it.  An experienced programmer should be
>>able to pick up any language similar to the one they've been using fairly
>>quickly.  But they'll learn more and more features and techniques with
>>use.  One of the cost models I have used (SoftCost, if I recall), assumes
>>an Ada programmer is less than fully proficient until they've completed
>>three projects.

>This is NOT a useful figure of merit unless it is given together with similar
>figures for other languages. Do we know how many months, years, or projects
>are required before a programmer is proficient in, say, Fortran or C,
>sufficiently to write the kind of robust and maintainable systems we all
>desire?
>
>Without useful comparative data, you are merely perpetuating the canard
>that Ada is somehow DIFFERENT, HARDER, than its predecessors or successors.

I have no problem with that, and I make no comparisons.  I
merely reported that in one respected software costing model,
SoftCost-Ada, three Ada projects "under the belt" is taken as
the measure that a programmer will be fully productive in Ada.
The whole point of costing models is to find some easy measure
that can be extrapolated to give an indication of the actual
process.  ("X is a good model of Y if you can get a reasonable
answer on some question about Y by asking that question about
X.")

In developing their model, Reifer Consultants (213-373-8728 was
the number a couple of years ago; I think their area code
changed to 310 recently) found that a growing experience curve,
leveling off after three Ada projects appropriately predicted
productivity.  This means both that people will be less than
fully productive before they've completed three projects and
will not be more productive after they've done three.  (That's
if I remember right from my course in using the model a couple
of years ago.)

I, too, would be interested in measures for other languages.
Most software costing models I've seen count experience in years
rather than number of projects.