* re: IBM Marks Milestone in FAA Contract ; more info needed
@ 1993-04-23 10:57 SAHARBAUGH
From: SAHARBAUGH @ 1993-04-23 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Nyberg was good enough tp post this:

Washington Technology, April 8, 1993, p. 3.

Stung by Congressional criticism of delays in the FAA's air
traffic-control modernization, begun in 1988, prime contractor IBM
Federal Systems Co. announced completion of the first segment of the
program.  The so-called Peripheral Adapter Module Replacement Item is
now running at 20 FAA centers, allowing each to exchange radar and
flight plan data eight times faster than previous technology.

---

I am underwhelmed.  I switched from my good old Hayes 1200/300
bps modem to a Practical Peripherals 9600 etc modem and I too
am exchanging data "eight times faster than previous technology".
My PP modem cost only hundreds of dollars.  I bet that the
PAMR costs MUCH more.

Could someone furnish more info.  The "story behind the story".
Did they just upgrade the modems?  Was software redesigned
to allow the speedup?  Does this have ANYTHING to do with Ada?

sam harbaugh     Before the invention of eruptions
                 the lava had to be carried by hand
                 and poured over the sleeping villagers.

* re: IBM Marks Milestone in FAA Contract ; more info needed
@ 1993-04-25 20:02 vnet.IBM.COM
From: vnet.IBM.COM @ 1993-04-25 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Could someone furnish more info.  The "story behind the story".
>Did they just upgrade the modems?  Was software redesigned
>to allow the speedup?  Does this have ANYTHING to do with Ada?

I don't know too much about PAMRI myself.  Actually I don't think
that the 8 times increase data transfer speed was really the
goal.  From what I know PAMRI will provide the interface to the
new AAS system.  AAS has been much discussed here in the past
as a large Ada project that wasn't doing too well.  I'm not
sure that PAMRI is written in Ada but most of the AAS project
is.

* These opinions are mine only.                     John Nestoriak *