* gps on Ubuntu 8.04
@ 2009-06-27 15:29 Rob Solomon
From: Rob Solomon @ 2009-06-27 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to learn Ada and installed it on Ubuntu 8.04 thru
synaptic.  When I try to launch gnat-gps I get the following error:

raised SYSTEM.ASSERTIONS.ASSERT_FAILURE : glib-graphs.ads:352

and it does not load.

I tried finding glib-graphs.ads and cannot.

What's wrong here?

Thanks

* Re: gps on Ubuntu 8.04
@ 2009-06-27 18:20 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-06-27 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob Solomon wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> I am trying to learn Ada and installed it on Ubuntu 8.04 thru
> synaptic.  When I try to launch gnat-gps I get the following error:
>
> raised SYSTEM.ASSERTIONS.ASSERT_FAILURE : glib-graphs.ads:352
>
> and it does not load.
>
> I tried finding glib-graphs.ads and cannot.
>
> What's wrong here?

That version of Ubuntu is known to have broken Ada packages.  You
should upgrade to Debian :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: gps on Ubuntu 8.04
@ 2009-06-27 20:46 ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-06-27 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Before installing a new version of Linux.

Try downloading a linux version of GNAT from Adacore ( libre.Adacore.com )
The libre version's compiled for standalone, install. Just unarchive, "./doinstal",
then finally adjust the "Path". You must also, add the icon to your system
menus. Deletion of this version is also simple, remove menus, and the GNAT
path from the system "PATH" and delete the gnat directory. No need synaptic
or other installer program.

I have had no problem with the "libre GNAT", while others non-libre versions
may require half to full OS updates.

In <2hec451c58160jaq702vqv62lht04oqbuc@4ax.com>, Rob Solomon <usenet@drrob1-noreply.com> writes:
>I am trying to learn Ada and installed it on Ubuntu 8.04 thru
>synaptic.  When I try to launch gnat-gps I get the following error:
>
>raised SYSTEM.ASSERTIONS.ASSERT_FAILURE : glib-graphs.ads:352
>
>and it does not load.
>
>I tried finding glib-graphs.ads and cannot.
>
>What's wrong here?
>
>Thanks

* Re: gps on Ubuntu 8.04
@ 2009-06-28 14:00 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2009-06-28 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob Solomon wrote:
> I am trying to learn Ada and installed it on Ubuntu 8.04 thru
> synaptic.  When I try to launch gnat-gps I get the following error:
>
> raised SYSTEM.ASSERTIONS.ASSERT_FAILURE : glib-graphs.ads:352
>
> and it does not load.

I've run the GNAT GPL 2008 and 2009 distributions on Ubuntu 8.04 with
only a single, quickly remedied, issue.  You can get 2009 from the Libre
AdaCore site (https://libre.adacore.com/libre/download).

Once you've downloaded and installed, trying to start gps may crash. If
it does, go into the bin directory where you installed it, and in the
file "gps", which is a script, comment out the line:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$root/lib/gps:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

It should run fine after that.

Marc A. Criley
McKae Technologies
www.mckae.com