* Which Ada IDE is best for Numerical Analysis?
@ 2004-09-28  5:01 Tom
From: Tom @ 2004-09-28  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know there are many companies which developed Ada IDEs, integrated
development enviroments, what I was wondering is if any of the
companies have IDEs that are preferred by programmers working in
numerical analysis.  To be specific I want information about IDEs
which run on the Windows XP operating system that are under  $1000US.
I want a site licence for only one computer.

Tom

* Re: Which Ada IDE is best for Numerical Analysis?
@ 2004-09-28 18:51 ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2004-09-28 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

8f27iw6z@canada.com (Tom) wrote in message news:<97de285c.0409272101.4fe36814@posting.google.com>...
> I know there are many companies which developed Ada IDEs, integrated
> development enviroments, what I was wondering is if any of the
> companies have IDEs that are preferred by programmers working in
> numerical analysis.  To be specific I want information about IDEs
> which run on the Windows XP operating system that are under  $1000US.
> I want a site licence for only one computer.
>
> Tom

To be more exact when I say computer I mean a desktop or laptop computer.

* Re: Which Ada IDE is best for Numerical Analysis?
@ 2004-09-28 19:04   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-09-28 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom writes:
>> development enviroments, what I was wondering is if any of the
>> companies have IDEs that are preferred by programmers working in
>> numerical analysis.  To be specific I want information about IDEs
>> which run on the Windows XP operating system that are under  $1000US.
>> I want a site licence for only one computer.
>>
>> Tom
>
> To be more exact when I say computer I mean a desktop or laptop
> computer.

Of course, you specified Windows :)

I am not aware of the requirements that are specific to numerical
analysis as opposed to general-purpose programming, but there are
indeed several IDE's to choose from.  Here are a few links:

GNAT Programming System: http://libre.act-europe.fr/GPS
jGRASP (multi-language):
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/

Of course, the mother of all IDEs remains Emacs :)

All these IDEs are independent from the compiler.  You need to get the
compiler separately from http://libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT.

There may be others that I am not aware of.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Which Ada IDE is best for Numerical Analysis?
@ 2004-09-29 15:44   ` Jeff C r e e.m
From: Jeff C r e e.m @ 2004-09-29 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tom" <8f27iw6z@canada.com> wrote in message
> 8f27iw6z@canada.com (Tom) wrote in message
>> I know there are many companies which developed Ada IDEs, integrated
>> development enviroments, what I was wondering is if any of the
>> companies have IDEs that are preferred by programmers working in
>> numerical analysis.  To be specific I want information about IDEs
>> which run on the Windows XP operating system that are under  $1000US.
>> I want a site licence for only one computer.
>>
>> Tom
>
> To be more exact when I say computer I mean a desktop or laptop computer.

Again, I am not sure what the additional IDE requirements are for numerical
analysis code....

But Aonix now has an Ada/IDE offering built around the Eclipse framework.

* Re: Which Ada IDE is best for Numerical Analysis?
@ 2004-09-30 10:25     ` Ken Thomas
From: Ken Thomas @ 2004-09-30 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use AdaGIDE on Windows for my code development (Finite Elements).

One requirement is the need to link to FORTRAN packages such as BLAS,
LAPACK. I can do this easily in AdaGIDE.

Ken Thomas

@ 2004-09-30 14:21       ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2004-09-30 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Thomas:

> I use AdaGIDE on Windows for my code development (Finite Elements).

Great!
We should create an Ada & Finite Elements club (or programmer group)!

> One requirement is the need to link to FORTRAN packages such as BLAS,
> LAPACK. I can do this easily in AdaGIDE.

And as stated elsewhere it is mostly a question of compiler.
E.g. GNAT provides nice optimizations such as the "-O2" set
and the "-funroll-loops".
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: Which Ada IDE is best for Numerical Analysis?
@ 2004-10-02  4:49         ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2004-10-02  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com (Gautier) wrote in message news:<17cd177c.0409300621.7ccfbf45@posting.google.com>...
> Ken Thomas:
>
> > I use AdaGIDE on Windows for my code development (Finite Elements).
>
> Great!
> We should create an Ada & Finite Elements club (or programmer group)!
>
> > One requirement is the need to link to FORTRAN packages such as BLAS,
> > LAPACK. I can do this easily in AdaGIDE.
>
> And as stated elsewhere it is mostly a question of compiler.
> E.g. GNAT provides nice optimizations such as the "-O2" set
> and the "-funroll-loops".
> Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm
>
> NB: For a direct answer, e-mail address on the Web site!

From all your responses I am getting the impression that the IDE is of
less importance than the compiler, and a good set of mathematics
libraries.  The compiler must be able to read the mathematics
libraries and from what I have found most of the libraries are either
in Fortran or C++. I was woundering if it is general practice to buy a
commercial package like Mathematica, Maple, Mathcad, or Mathlab to use
as a Mathematics library. Then most of the programs written would be
more of an assemblying of library pieces and less building your own
mathematical libraries.

* Re: Which Ada IDE is best for Numerical Analysis?
@ 2004-10-13 11:01           ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2004-10-13 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From all your responses I am getting the impression that the IDE is of
>less importance than the compiler, and a good set of mathematics
>libraries.  The compiler must be able to read the mathematics
>libraries and from what I have found most of the libraries are either
>in Fortran or C++. I was woundering if it is general practice to buy a
>commercial package like Mathematica, Maple, Mathcad, or Mathlab to use
>as a Mathematics library. Then most of the programs written would be
>more of an assemblying of library pieces and less building your own
>mathematical libraries.

These programs "Mathematica, Maple, Mathcad, or Mathlab" - i thought
these were programing environments that are functional environments
and hence well suited to numerical analysis, that would have libraries
too.???
I have never used them. Do they have libraries that are avaible to
external programs such as ADA?

I am doing a card game simulaton.  I chose ADA because i wanted the
strong checking and I had some familiarity.  some statisticil stuff is
vailable as C, such as the  general scientfic library and ada can bind
with them.

I Also  knew how to go about the problem in a procedual language like
ADA. never used purely functional language except on Gate arrays, I
might wait until i have a functional computer before tryng to use a
functional language.

wondering whch language/environment you settled on?

Phil

* Re: Which Ada IDE is best for Numerical Analysis?
@ 2004-10-15  8:35             ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2004-10-15  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do they have libraries that are avaible to external programs such as ADA?

Actually, I am trying to find out the same thing I know that ADA is
used by many Engineers, for building planes and trains, therefore
someone probably has already researched of this. It makes sense that
the answer is readily available I just didn't want to hunt for it when
it is common knowledge in certain places.

> some statisticil stuff is available as C, such as the general scientfic >library and ada can bind with them.

The problem with C++ is that so many of the mathematical and
statistical functions are in what is called the standard template
library that to get any speed out of C++ you have to write your
programs in unorthodox ways, so I have heard.

> wondering whch language/environment you settled on?

I am still data mining, but so far I would probably choose Mathematica
or Maple  for their mathematical and Statistical libraries because
after much research they seem to have most of what I want for a fairly
reasonable price. Because Pure Mathematics is in less demand in
industry than applied Mathematics; I figuired I would get an Ada
package that links with Fortran and C++. Ada sounds like a reasonable
RAD, rapid application development, language.