* Tragic news about Vinzent Hoefler
@ 2020-10-28 11:09 Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2020-10-28 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

Many of you may know Vinzent Höfler.

I am sad to pass the most tragic news that Vinzent died last Wednesday
21 September...

Below is the message Vinzent's wife Katja Saranen asked me earlier
today to share with the Ada community.

He was active in various forums and newsgroups as Vinzent aka "Jellix"
aka "JeLlyFish.software@gmx.net" aka "ada.rocks@jlfencey.com"
aka "vinzent@heisenbug.eu".  He worked on professional as well as
open-source Ada projects, was a member and participated in events
of ACM SIGAda, Ada-Europe and Ada-Belgium, and helped with several
recent Ada DevRooms at FOSDEM events.

I first met Vinzent what seems an eternity ago at the SIGAda 2002
conference in Houston.  Our paths crossed many times since, until
five years ago he became an "Ada" colleague at Eurocontrol.

I will miss Vinzent, as a colleague, as a like-minded spirit on
various issues, and most of all as an intelligent human being.
I will miss our interesting discussions: we had too few...

Dirk
Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.be (for Ada-Belgium/Ada-Europe/SIGAda/WG9)

---

Message from Katja Saranen, Wed Oct 28 2020:

**

With the deepest sorrow I have to share with you a devastating tragedy.

Our beloved Vinzent has left this world, he is not with us anymore.

Vinzent "Jellix" Saranen (Höfler, Fritzsche)
09.01.1974 - 21.10.2020

Unspeakable loss for so many. A father, son, brother, grandfather,
husband, friend, colleague and much more.

The love of my life. My soulmate. My person. My husband. My safe place.
Incredible, wonderful, beautiful, weird, intelligent, talented. So
special in so many ways.
We were supposed to grow old together and move to wilderness. I was not
supposed to outlive you. I was not supposed to face the world without
you. I don't know yet how am I even expected to keep going without you
on my side.

This is not a farewell. You're not gone. Love is not any less. You're
always with me until we meet again. Love you, forever.

starlingc/katja

"Death is that state in which one exists only in the memory of others,
which is why it is not an end. No goodbyes. Just good memories.
Hailing frequencies closed, sir."
(Star Trek TNG; Tasha Yar)

There will be no funeral or grave. He has been cremated yesterday and
next summer I will take his ashes to the place where he was happiest
and where he wanted to go to grow old. For a place to remember him, you
can go to nature anywhere and you'll always be close.
Memorial(s) will be planned at later time, I am not able to now.

***

* Re: Tragic news about Vinzent Hoefler
@ 2020-10-28 11:25 ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2020-10-28 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <rnbjgl$2ks$1@dont-email.me>,
Dirk Craeynest <dirk@orka.cs.kuleuven.be.> wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>Many of you may know Vinzent Höfler.
>
>I am sad to pass the most tragic news that Vinzent died last Wednesday
>21 September...
[...]

Correction: last Wednesday was 21 October of course.
Sorry for the stupid mistake!  Mea culpa...

Dirk

* Re: Tragic news about Vinzent Hoefler
@ 2020-10-28 14:24 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2020-10-28 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tragic news indeed.
Sorry to see him go.

* Re: Tragic news about Vinzent Hoefler
@ 2020-10-28 18:35   ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2020-10-28 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 7:24:34 AM UTC-7, Shark8 wrote:
> Tragic news indeed.
> Sorry to see him go.

Rest in peace. Sincere condolences.