From: Jerry <list_email@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT Speed Comparison on Older Intel versus Apple Silicon M1
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 22:26:18 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 12:38:51 AM UTC-7, Fernando Oleo Blanco wrote:
> Hi Jerry,
>
> taking the results from Geekbench: [1] for your current MacBook and [2]
> for the M1 MacBook from 2021; the results show that single core
> performance of the M1 MacBook Pro is about 6.4 times faster.

That's a great site. Thanks. Clicking around a bit I was able to find separate comparisons for single-core floating point and the speed-up is 5.2.

> However, notice that it is running on Aarch64 natively for the M1.

GNAT compiles to Aarch64 now, right?

> Nonetheless, you can run x86 programs with little performance hit thanks
> to Apple Rosseta.

"little performance hit" compared to Intel code running on Rosseta versus Intel silicon or compared to native ARM? And I wonder how long until Apple takes away Rosseta this time? Last time it was two OS updates and then, poof,  gone.